Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Did you ever have ham?
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, fellow Clydesdales! I need some advice, the stock seat on my bike is pretty much killed so I need a new one. What are some good options for me to look at? I am 6'4" and about 350pounds. I found some nice seats at the LBS, but when I turned them over they were built on plastic bases...that would last 2.4 nanoseconds under my, um...well developed arse! Thank you!:madman:

·
Mojo MadDuc
123 Posts
Demo a bunch if you can!!!

I recently built a new bike, I demo'ed multiple saddles before making the final choice. I rode at least 4 different WTB Saddles for a couple of days each. The WTB Rocket V was by far the most comfortable for my Clyde rear (6'3 235) . WTB has a demo program available with most of it's LBS's that carry their products. See if you can find an LBS that has the demo program and try several out. Saddles are truly up to the individual and what fits one guy, may not be comfortable for another. This is one decision you really need to make on your own. The more demo's the better if you can arrange it. I strongly suggest as many test rides as possible, there are only three contact points on a bike, they all need to as comfortable as possible, especially the arse. WTB has multiple saddles in many configurations, don't hesitate to look at the WTB ladies seats as well (they are built for wider sit bones). Spend what you can and get one that fits and is comfortable, it will keep you riding more and longer!! Hope this helps.

Happy Holidays

·
Did you ever have ham?
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, MadDuc. Yeah, I realize that I will have to find "my" seat, I just wanted to get an idea of what bigger riders were using to deal with our abuse. I will check out WTB, some of the Bontrager seats at the LBS looked good except the seat bottoms are plastic. Are they all plastic seat bases and I just never really noticed before?

·
Mojo MadDuc
123 Posts
motoman465,

I have not seen any seats that don't have plastic bases. I broke a selle Italia earlier this summer, so I went ack to the WTB. I have had one on my HT single speed and have had no issues with it holding up and I have had some pretty good crashes in that time. I went with the new Rocket V Team with Ti rails on my new bike. Check the reviews on the all the saddles, I think you will get a good idea of what to epect from all the saddles that your looking at. You might contact the manufacturer's as well they are usually pretty good about answering customer questions. Good luck in your search, I know is sucks when you are not comfortable on the bike!:madmax:

MadDuc

·
Corn Fed Iowan in Arkansa
15 Posts
I would recommend the Koobi SI Classic Gel.

http://www.koobi.com/koobisiclassicgel.aspx

My LBS mech has one on his Surly Long Haul Trucker and I just recently purchased the Koobi SI Classic Gel over their Enduro model. The Classic is more durable (been riding on gravel, dirt and fields on my cross check with it and have found it much more comfortable then the stock seat that came with my bike.

www.koobi.com

·
Did you ever have ham?
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't really commicate my question effectively. I am looking for a seat that will hold up well to my weight. My stock saddle, a WTB, broke and I was wondering if there is anything that is actually designed to be stronger?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.