Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear derailleur has recently snapped off. The derailleur was a Shimano STX (RD-MC34) 7speed, and I would like to know what a good replacement would be. the bike will be used for mainly cross country with lots of climbing. would like to upgrade the drive train soon but not atm(cant afford too) so if there’s something out there that good quality that can handle(7speed for sure, and maybe 8 or 9 too) pls let me know.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Give Speedgoat(in Penn)...

Soeveth said:
My rear derailleur has recently snapped off. The derailleur was a Shimano STX (RD-MC34) 7speed, and I would like to know what a good replacement would be. the bike will be used for mainly cross country with lots of climbing. would like to upgrade the drive train soon but not atm(cant afford too) so if there’s something out there that good quality that can handle(7speed for sure, and maybe 8 or 9 too) pls let me know.
or the Bikemans(in Maine) a call(check google). They'll have what you want. Bikeman may even have a nice new 7 spd around.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
I would get a current model Ultegra mid cage rear derailleur

Ultegra components (and Dura-Ace for that matter) are an excellent value. It is cheaper, lighter, and just as durable as XT parts. Also it would work with your current drivetrain or an upgraded drivetrain when you get to that point.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,109 Posts
Soeveth said:
The Performance ad claims that the Shimano Deore rear der. works w/ 7,8, and 9 speed drivetrains. Well built and cheap.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=6287&subcategory_ID=5111

Outta stock there, but it looks like it is in stock at Nashbar.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=4298&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

baker

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies.

I just got a couple of questions, whats the difference between a long and shot cage, does one offer better preformance?

I'm totaly lost on the nameing with some of this derailleurs
for example, theres decore, and I'm seen decore xt. Is this the same "xt" as the shimano xt?

would the shimano xt work in my case? from what I've herad/read it is one of the better derailliurs out there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Short cage are for road cassettes

Long cage for off-road cassettes

To explain:
an off-road cassette 11-34 has a larger range than a road cassette of 11-23.

The larger the range of your cassette the long the cage fo your rear mech as the cage aids in taking up the slack from being in the large cog Vs the small one.

hope that helps.

Also second the earlier replies about road cassettes and mechs used off-road. click my profile to see my bike set-up. A fit guy can climb most hills with 11-23 cassette and your granny ring. team that up with a road mech and you can run a shorter chain and shed weight off your bike.

If you could be more specific about your use and budget, members could suggest exact models to replace your old mech.

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
Derailleurs designed for 9 speed are 100% compatible with 8 speed and 7 speed (but 7/8 speed derailleurs do not work on 9 speed bikes). Any $himano derailleur you get will work. Ultegra and DuraAce are nice, but you may have trouble with the larger MTB gear range. Deore(Same quality as stx), LX, XT, and XTR will all work great.

ANd whats the difference? Better derailleurs just last longer befopre they feel worn out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts