Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I need a new fork for my dirt jumping bike. I got a kona stuff. I really like going off of large drops but the fork i currently have doesn't quite have enough travel nor is it stiff enough. Do you think a fork with 5 or so inches of travel would make the bike feel strange?

If you dont think the bigger fork would make the bike feel strange, what fork do you guys reccomend that is easy to adjust the travel? :)

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
Yes it would rake the bike out and make your BB height higher. The Kona Stuff is meant as a dirt jumper, so it does not have the best geometry for large hucks.

What you could do is to buy a Pike, run it at 95mm of travel all the time, and when you feel the need for more travel, just set it at 140mm. But I would not run a 5in fork all the time on this bike.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
the kona's are a little slack. my buddy had a stance flow on his shred, even at 120mm of travel it was getting too raked. sadly my P. doesent even rake out at 170mm :p and some DJ bikes will be like that, others wont. the pike suggestion is a really good idea. but the pike really isn't a big drop fork. what fork are you currently running? dropoff?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
69.5 on the p. vs 68.4 on the Kona. Travel has nothing to do with headangle, axle to crown height does. But let's assume the same proportions. With a 120mm travel fork, the Kona will be at ROUGHLY 67.5 degrees. With the 170mm fork the P. will be about 66.5 degrees.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
69.5 on the p. vs 68.4 on the Kona. Travel has nothing to do with headangle, axle to crown height does. But let's assume the same proportions. With a 120mm travel fork, the Kona will be at ROUGHLY 67.5 degrees. With the 170mm fork the P. will be about 66.5 degrees.
then why does my P. handle the 170mm king, whare it slacks out my friends kona.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.