Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current bike is from highschool and I rode it during college to get to class and in 2009-2010 I started riding on the trails around my undergrad school.

I don't know very much about bikes so I figure you all can help me pick a new one!

From the helpful hints thread:

1) Your budget. $500ish

3) What type of riding do you intend to do? Occasional road riding (around Lake Hefner) but mostly trail riding like Bluff Creek and the Stanley Draper Trails. I like jumps and downhill trails but there isn't much of that around me in OKC that I know of.

4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension? I've never tried a full suspension

5) Age, weight and height. 24yrs, 260lbs, 6'8"

6) What sources will you consider buying from? Prefer cheapest bestest ;) I'm willing to buy online and do some assembly myself.

7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources? Ditto

·
Registered
98 Posts
Giant has a couple hardtails down in that category, as well as Trek (3-series) and Specialized (Hard Rock and Rock Hopper... maybe just one of those is cheaper I can't remember).

You'll find a bike. Best thing is to go to some shops around town and see what they have, look at prices, and prod for information.

You do not have to spend $1000 to get a bike. You have to spend $1000 (and a lot more) if you really want to jump and be really aggressive, but for just starting out $500 will get you going on something halfway decent, with standard parts that can be upgraded if necessary.

-Eric

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, as he is quite heavy, I do not recommend him jumping on a XC bike. No offense LuckyDucky.

But like the rest said, you can purchase a decent new XC hardtail for the money or a better speced bike second hand.
How much punishment do you think an XC bike can take? Most jumps I ride will probably be relatively small since I'll only stay on the trails around me (OKC) but I want to try the big jumps too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, for the trails, a XC bike should suffice. But before buying the bike, please check with the recommened weight limit for the bike you intend to buy.

As for trying the big jumps with a XC bike, I do not recommend anyone to try. Buy the correct bike for the correct genre of riding. Like a FR or DJ bike.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
at 260lb and 6'8, finding a used bike that fits the bill is going to be hard. however, if you can find a used bike you'll probably be better off.
$500 bikes will not have wheels that will hold up to your big ass. I'm 210 and I would kill a stock set of wheels in a week. Your best bet is to scour ebay, pinkbike and these classifieds for a used AM hardtail. Keep saving and don't but a bike until you find the right one.
If you go the new bike route, just keep in mind that a light aluminum frame will not hold up to repeated jumping by someone of your stature. trail riding should be no problem though. plan on getting some new wheels for it within a year's time. shimano deore hubs on sun rhino lites would be a cheap solution for about $100.
good luck with the shopping.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
depends on if your old trek 820 is steel. Most of the bikes in your price range are going to be AL.

as I mentioned in my earlier post, you'll be fine with most any entry-level bike from an LBS. I just wouldn't go jumping/hucking the thing on a regular basis, keep it to general trail riding and your good to go. you'll most likely kill the stock wheels pretty quick but you can find a much stronger set for cheap aftermarket.

·
There's always next year.
877 Posts
I might throw another idea out there-- A Redline Monocog-- the 21 inch model. Mine is holding up strong after 4 years, and I'm still on the stock wheelset as well. (I was 230+ when I got it, now down to 205ish). Most any LBS I think can get ahold of one too. Mine has taken a beating, and always come back for more.

You could throw another gear on the back for road riding,and keep another for trail riding. I believe the new Monocogs have cable stops to throw gears on later as you find extra cash or if you decide you need gears.

·
I Void Waranties
541 Posts
I might throw another idea out there-- A Redline Monocog-- the 21 inch model. Mine is holding up strong after 4 years, and I'm still on the stock wheelset as well. (I was 230+ when I got it, now down to 205ish). Most any LBS I think can get ahold of one too. Mine has taken a beating, and always come back for more.

You could throw another gear on the back for road riding,and keep another for trail riding. I believe the new Monocogs have cable stops to throw gears on later as you find extra cash or if you decide you need gears.
this sounds like a good option

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.