Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My bike got stolen 2 weeks ago, but since it was stolen out of the garage, I got home insurance to cover the cost and then some. Now I'm in the market for a new full suspension trail bike, but I'm striking out. I rode a mojo and loved it, but can't find one in an XL that isn't beat up or tricked out with XTR @ $3,500.

I ride demo, JMP, skeggs, Santa Teresa, China Camp, pretty much all bay area trails since I don't mind driving.

If you've come across a killer L or XL trailbike (new or used - could be yours!) in your LBS or your buddy is selling his, please let me know. My budget was preferred around $2,500.

I've looked at mojos mainly, but I'm also interested in blur lts, treks, and even 29er FS bikes (although I've never ridden one, I'm 6'1" and could fit one easily)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
For you budget Giant Reign is hard to beat. May not have all the bling of the Mojo but will give you similar feel. Not Reign X, just regular Reign.

If you looked at Mojo with 140mm fork in more XCish configuration, Trance X would fit the bill.

I have two Mojos in stable for myself and wife, but would have gone Giant route if budget strapped.

Give Passion Trailbikes a call. (not affilated)

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jhill said:
Hey might be able to talk the guy down a little and get a solid build for around $2500
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/1549422057.html
I wish I could get a Mojo, if only I had the funds...What did you used to ride?
Guy hasn't responded to my email yet. I rode a 07 stumpy fsr, then blur lt1, then a chumba vf2 (which got stolen), all being toward that 120-140 trailbike market.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
Stumpy_Steve said:
Guy hasn't responded to my email yet. I rode a 07 stumpy fsr, then blur lt1, then a chumba vf2 (which got stolen), all being toward that 120-140 trailbike market.
You need an SC Tallboy. Just a fabulous bike for around here and the Sierras.

fc

·
More Torque
2,037 Posts
francois said:
You need an SC Tallboy. Just a fabulous bike for around here and the Sierras.

fc
The Tallboy and Mojo are very different bikes.

The Tallboy is like a cruise missile; it works well when you want to motor on rolling terrain for long periods of time. It is stable, predictable, neutral, and light. It strikes me as a great 24hr racer. I would not describe it as a plush or a quick handler.

The Mojo is more versatile; it can be set up as a light weight, efficient racer or a fairly capable AM rig. The travel on the Mojo feels more plush, and it costs a fair amount less than the TB.

-D

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Steve, I do have a 2008 Giant Reign 1 frame that will be available soon. Weighs in at 6.5 lbs and I've used it for XC races and AM riding. I don't do jumps. Moving to a Trance X frame so if you're interested let me know.

Also have a 2006 Specialized FSR S-works frame available. Also 6.5 lbs, including brain, shock.

Both are LARGE. Also have thomson elite set-back seapost (new)

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
Mojo HD will be out soon, Ebay and CL will probably become flooded with regular Mojos as people swap out to the HD.

I have an 04 Large Enduro Frame if you want to build something up.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,595 Posts
The Reign 2 is about $2k. You'll probably end up swapping most of the bits out, but it looks like a decent frame and it has a Fox float fork.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into both the reign and trance for options. Francis, the tallboy is really sounds like an awesome bike, but it's so damn expensive ($3,600 for an R package). I origonally had a build going with wrench science for a full xt mojo around $3,600 before tax, but I really couldn't justify that much $$$ when I'm getting my car fixed, have school in two weeks, ect...

NB & Scott - I'm looking more along the lines of complete bikes since they're cheaper than building a frame from the ground up (other than that mojo craigslist add). I appreciate the offers for sure!

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,461 Posts
I'd second the suggestion to call Passion (but I am a bit biased). They carry Giant, Ibis, and Santa Cruz.

If you would be wiling to downgrade the parts to start, Ibis has on their website a build (based around X9) for $3500. Another for $3k. These are new with 2010 parts. You can see the specs at Ibis's site.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
singlespeed.org said:
I'd second the suggestion to call Passion (but I am a bit biased). They carry Giant, Ibis, and Santa Cruz.

If you would be wiling to downgrade the parts to start, Ibis has on their website a build (based around X9) for $3500. Another for $3k. These are new with 2010 parts. You can see the specs at Ibis's site.
My original build was about $3,600 with full xt, but that was too much so I really can't afford a NEW mojo, unfortunately. If I get a giant, it will be for sure through Passion, no doubt about that,

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Ibis is selling new mojos at the slx level for $3k.

Now that the Mojo HD has come, I think there may be more people selling their regular Mojos so they can buy an HD---so there may be more used ones on the market soon.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GuruAtma said:
Ibis is selling new mojos at the slx level for $3k.

Now that the Mojo HD has come, I think there may be more people selling their regular Mojos so they can buy an HD---so there may be more used ones on the market soon.
Post tax $3,300, still can't do it. I know you're looking for a mojo sl right GA?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.