Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What bikes make good commuters? A 29'er? A roadie? It's all up hill on my way to work, so I want a light bike with a super low granny gear and some power in the top end for the downhill home. I suppose I want a triple up front. I want skinny, light tires. I want to pull my BOB trailer with my work clothes / supplies.

I put some "slicker" tires on my FS MTB, but they're heavy and wide, and it's just not cutting the mustard.

I want a low BB height for the commute, I want flat type handlebars, I want hydro disc brakes, or linear pull. I don't like the roadie brakes or handlebars or shifters, but I like all the geometry.

I would want to fit it with racks. No suspension.

How 'bout a Rohloff hub? That would be really neat.

Any ideas on what's out there to fit the bill? I find it really hard to find all the models of bicycles offered out there. I guess you gotta know what you want already to be able to look it up. Any sites where they just have Pics and Descripts of everything out there?Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
It sounds like you're not new to the biking scene, so that's good. I'd check into a flat-bar road bike, from the sound of it. It's gonna be lighter and easier rolling than a hardtail MTB. You should track down a guy who goes by dogonfr, also known as "the Ibex defender." He posted a flat bar road bike that Ibex had for like $300 that I was looking at (before my latest srugery). He'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Ross

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Lots of great suggestions here. I have always kinda liked Giant bikes, and find them to be a good value. Their line of fitness bikes might fit your needs. What is your budget?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Webtoes said:
Thanks for all the great replies, I also realized how these type of bikes seem to have much longer chain stays than road bikes. That Jamis or the Giant looks like they had the shortest Chain Stays of the bunch. I personally want extremely short chain stays because of the hill climbing and how it feels like more torque. I want that rear tire to be hugging the seat tube. The only thing I've been finding like this are the Cyclocross type of bicycles, and they seem to come with CANTILEVER brakes. I'd have to find some super short 700c sized linear or V brakes and that would add to the cost, as would adding a flat bar and shifters/brake levers/grips.

Anyone seen a Cyclocross bike with discs? As far as budget, I'd like to keep it right around a thousand bucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.