Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to, well I'm going to have to, read a book for school. Any novel I choose, it just as to be approved by my teacher. The last book I read, I didn't like at all. And know I'm wondering, has anyone writen a novel on the life of a MTBer. If they haven't... well someone get on it.

If anyone knows of such a book I'd like to know.
And I know this isn't the normal post, but if you could help me out that would be great!

Thank
ot
 

·
Hairy man
Joined
·
4,923 Posts
Offtime3123 said:
I have to, well I'm going to have to, read a book for school. Any novel I choose, it just as to be approved by my teacher. The last book I read, I didn't like at all. And know I'm wondering, has anyone writen a novel on the life of a MTBer. If they haven't... well someone get on it.

If anyone knows of such a book I'd like to know.
And I know this isn't the normal post, but if you could help me out that would be great!

Thank
ot
Can't think of at mountain biking book.

I've read two strongly bicycle oriented novels:

"Virtual Light" by William Gibson has a bike messenger as the main character, so there's some biking in it. Not as much as there should have been. It's science fiction, so you might not want to touch it if that's not your thing.

"Godspeed" by Lyn Breedlove is about a meth addicted, lesbian bike messenger who gets into a rock and roll band written by an ex-meth addict, lesbian ex-bike messenger who is in a rock and roll band. It kind of isn't so good, by it's got some lesbian action, stripper, kung-fu fighting, rock and roll and bike riding. I get the feeling some editor told her not to obsess about bikes too much, because she talks about her bike surprisingly little.

Asking your school or local public librarian for a recommendation is always a good idea. Tell them about things you like and they might be able to dig something up. Mountian Biking and bicycles in general might be kind of hard to dig up. I just did some poking around (I'm in library school, so I'm sort of good at this stuff) and the only cycling novel I was able to find in my school's library (University of Washington, we have a pretty darn big library) was "Bad to the Bone" by James Waddington, which is about the Tour de France. But if you are into stuff besides Moutain Bikes, there's probably a novel out there you'll be interested in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
If you want an outdoor adventure...one of the best is "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer. An outstanding book which documents the author's attempt to climp Everest in March 1996, Outside magazine sent veteran journalist and seasoned climber Jon Krakauer on an expedition led by Everest guide Rob Hall. Despite the expertise of Hall and the other leaders, by the end of summit day eight people were dead. Krakauer's book is the story of the ill-fated adventure and an analysis of the factors leading up to its tragic end.

The only bike related book I read was "It's Not About the Bike", Lance Armstrong. It about his fight with cancer. A very inspiring book and a quick read.
 

·
Don't worry, be happy!
Joined
·
8,141 Posts
How about

The Immortal Class: Bike Messengers and the Cult of Human Power by Travis Culley

about a guy's season as a bike messenger.

Into Think Air is a great book.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply! The road biking idea is good, I know there are more then a few out there. Road biking is like a second love for me, so I could. But MTB would be more interesting. Someone needs to right a book for all of us here at mtbr.com

ot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
If I don't write the MTB book, I hope you do! And I will also add that "Into Thin Air" is a good read. What was that other one about the guy who wandered off into wilderness Alaska, "Into the Wild"? That one was pretty good also. That genre of books isn't necessarily MTB-related, but for those of us who enjoy stories of adventure and the wilderness, they are tops (as I think many, if not most, of us who MTB do). -GT2005 :)

Offtime3123 said:
Thanks for the reply! The road biking idea is good, I know there are more then a few out there. Road biking is like a second love for me, so I could. But MTB would be more interesting. Someone needs to right a book for all of us here at mtbr.com

ot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Expand your mind with...

The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells - classic, simple, short, and reading it will probably impress your teacher. Easy to write an essay about. You can also cheat by downloading free mp3s at librovox.org. It's public domain.

SnowCrash by Neal Stephenson http://www.cyberartsweb.org/cpace/scifi/ns/snowcrashov.html
If your a young cyberjunkie, this is a must read. This book is so good, it will blow your mind. I GUARANTEE it. Just google it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,376 Posts
If it doesn't have to be fiction, I'd say "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" by Aron Ralston. It's a great story, and he tells it very well (for an engineer turned crazy adventure athlete climber guy). I read it in about 3 days over Christmas. He was the guy that went out canyoneering in 03 by himself and was pinned by a boulder and spent like 6 days stuck with very little food or water. Eventually he got himself out and was able to live to tell the tale. Great book.

I'd also highly recommend, for fiction, "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. But, that may be a bit too much of an undertaking at nearly 1100 pages (with small print). It's well worth the time to read it, though.
 

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
Joined
·
6,171 Posts
I'll second

2d the Roll book--I just finished it the other week--I always knew Roll the commentator; this book provides humorous insight to the trevails he went through on racing teams both mtb and road. recommended.

edit--I didn't suggest it earlier becuase you said novel. I don't know the strict definition of novel. I always think of a novel as a fictional story or story loosely based on real events and personas with names changed. But if a bio or doc type thing would do...

RetroG said:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
Why does it have to be about biking? Take a deep breath, try a different book. Maybe a mystery or something like that. There are literally millions of books out there. I bet your teacher could recommend something too, you just have to open up a little.
 

·
Which way? Uphill.
Joined
·
833 Posts
RussBackman said:
If you want an outdoor adventure...one of the best is "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer. An outstanding book which documents the author's attempt to climp Everest in March 1996, Outside magazine sent veteran journalist and seasoned climber Jon Krakauer on an expedition led by Everest guide Rob Hall. Despite the expertise of Hall and the other leaders, by the end of summit day eight people were dead. Krakauer's book is the story of the ill-fated adventure and an analysis of the factors leading up to its tragic end.

The only bike related book I read was "It's Not About the Bike", Lance Armstrong. It about his fight with cancer. A very inspiring book and a quick read.
"Into Thin Air" was good, but I prefer "The Climb" by Anatoli Boukreev. It's about the same event on Everest, but is from the other expedition's (Mountain Madness) perspective. Some people believe that Jon Krakauer had some inaccuracies and passed wrongful judgements in his book. This book is a good read for anyone that read "Into Thin Air" and wants to know the other perspective, or anyone that wants a more diary like telling of the events of the 1996 Everest climbing season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,771 Posts
Downhill Godess by Marla Streb

Offtime3123 said:
I have to, well I'm going to have to, read a book for school. Any novel I choose, it just as to be approved by my teacher. The last book I read, I didn't like at all. And know I'm wondering, has anyone writen a novel on the life of a MTBer. If they haven't... well someone get on it.

If anyone knows of such a book I'd like to know.
And I know this isn't the normal post, but if you could help me out that would be great!

Thank
ot
thats another choice no ones mentioned..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Not biking related whatsoever but I highly recommend 'Body of Secrets' by James Bamford. It's about the NSA and some of the missions they have accomplished over the years. If you're into that kind of spy stuff, I also suggest 'Blindman's Bluff'. It's about the secret spy stuff submarines do.

'Touching the Void' by Joe Simpson is another good outdoor read.

-Rob
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top