Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.sportsauthority.com/fami...892903&categoryId=2141953&page=1&pageBucket=0

OK, I need to pick one of these bikes because I have a 25% off coupon. I just started riding again on this old Huffy 21 speed (its at least 15 years old) but it is showing its age and I just want a bike of my own.

I stick to paved trails but if i see some gator in a mudpit I want to be able to ride over and get a closer look (and ride back out quickly!)

Oh, by the way, if you promise not to tell me to go to the LBS you can use the coupon too:

http://www.slickdeals.net/?pno=7820&lno=2&afsrc=1

I only have $300 so i can get one priced up to $400 with the coupon. I'm not looking for the best bike just the most bang for the buck.

·
rebmem rbtm
270 Posts
my first real mountain bike was from sports authority, it was the diamondback topanga Comp. it was a good bike and around the 300-400 range if i remember correctly. i weigh 265 pounds and that thing held me well (other than rims).

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Okay I won't tell you not to waste your money (hard earned or not), but at least have it checked over before you go out and ride.

You'll get twice the bike at a real bike shop, but hey being cheap isn't very popular.

·
Registered
109 Posts
1st-go for a hardtail, a full suspension at those prices will be nothing but a pogo stick with sloppy (at best) pivots. 2nd--see what the cost will be after your discount, and after you add on what it will cost a good legit bike shop to go over it for you. 3rd-compare cost of #2 and see what your local shop has close to that price-you'll get better aftermarket service and the correct set-up to start with does not cost extra. Let them know you are shopping and what you have to spend. You don't have to buy from your LBS, but at least compare-might not be as much of a difference as you think.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I say save up a little more like $400-$500 and get a bike from your lbs Trek 4300 only $450
Specialized hardrock sport disc also around $450. If you can't save any more money you can still get Trek 3900 $320, or Gary Fisher capitola also around $320 Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
624 Posts
My first "real" mtn bike was a Trek hardtail and it wasn't any more than $450. All the horror stories I've heard about low end bikes, I'd spend a little bit more and get something you know will last.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the tips, i understand i could always get something better, but im dead set on something cheap. the coupon is the motivation. i have been mostly scared out of a full suspension at this price.... so that narrows it down. so out of the hard tails on the website, anyone know anything about the specific models/components? they seem to mostly have "Jeep" brand, but im sure you guys know what they are really made of. the GMC one looks like a tank, but i dont know if that's a good thing.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
drinklime said:
thanks for the tips, i understand i could always get something better, but im dead set on something cheap. the coupon is the motivation. i have been mostly scared out of a full suspension at this price.... so that narrows it down. so out of the hard tails on the website, anyone know anything about the specific models/components? they seem to mostly have "Jeep" brand, but im sure you guys know what they are really made of. the GMC one looks like a tank, but i dont know if that's a good thing.
I agree with Dave. At least go to a LBS and see what they have for a low price. You might be surprised that the differences are not that much. If you get a lousy bike, it's very likely you won't like it and because of it, you won't use it.

I think that the 'Jeep' and 'Gmc' are made by 'x' company and rebranded, don't look at them.

Use your coupon for a helmet and hydration pack. I doesn't need to be 'Camelback' brand. There are some good ones for around 30 to 50 bucks.

Ibex also has some nice bikes. The Alpine 350 is around $299 and a nice starter bike. Talk with DogonFR in this forums and he might help you out.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-350-Details.html

GT has the Avalanche 3.0, Schwinn has the Mesa model, Trek has some nice HT, Specialized should also offer some nice ones.

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
sorry, on a mountain bike forum, you'll hear over and again what you already have read and specifically asked not to hear: go to an lbs. For what it's worth, I am going to add, Go to the lbs, it will be cheaper AND better. How, since you have a coupon, you may ask? Service, my dear fellow. At an LBS you will receive at least a year of free adjustments (many do 2 or more years). You will need these adjustments on your brand new bike from Sports Authority. These adjustments run from $35-50. So make sure you add that price to your bike from Sports Authority. And add that price again for next year. And the year after. By buying at an LBS, you have saved yourself $75-150. Not to mention they will fit you on a properly sized bike that has better components than the Sports Authority bikes. The lbs will also give you tips and recommendations on riding that you won't find at Sports Authority. Spend $300 on a bike at your LBS, you won't regret it. Even a Giant Boulder SE or Rincon is worlds better than any "Jeep" bike.

As rzozaya said, use your coupon at Sports Authority on the extras: hydration pack, pump, tools, water bottles, tubes, even a helmet (you might find a nicer fitting helmet at your lbs, but safety-wise, the helmets at Sports Authority will keep you just as safe).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well... like i said i dont know where we bought the bike we have now, but its at least 15 years old, its a huffy, and it still goes. its never been professionally adjusted. i sprayed wd-40 on it a couple of times. im not riding across vast tundra, so i figure one of these bikes will last me a few years.

i would just like to know if anyone knows anything about the specific models that the sports authority sells. i thought someone might know.

i understand a bike from an lbs is better, but thats not where i am asking about. thanks anyway.

·
Hairy man
4,923 Posts
drinklime said:
That website provides almost no information. A "Roxshox fork" might be a great deal or a great ripoff, depending on the model.

If you're sticking to pavement, just get the rigid bike. It's the cheapest, and low end suspension just kind of sucks. Mountain bikes were all rigid at first, I rode rigid for years. It's kind of sad it's almost impossible to find a decent rigid bike anymore.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey i found specs for the components on the gmc dual suspension model. does anyone know what is wrong with any of these specific components?

Frame: 26-inch full suspension aluminum MTB frame
Fork: Zoom CH-386 suspension fork 65mm travel
Shocks: Kind Shock adjustable 650 pounds
Chain: KMC Z 51
Crankset: Alloy ISA 335P 28x38x48 L170mm
Front Derailleur: Falcon MF 31 T
Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-TZ30GS SIS 7SPD
Shifters: Microshift TS-50 ADII index L3/R7
Brake Levers: GP 30 AP aluminum
Brakes: LCHI DSK-320 disk brake 160mm
Rims: Alloy black 26-inch X1.5
Tires: Kenda black with yellow band 700X25C
Stem: A-head TDS63K-8 EXT:100mm 15D
Handlebar: HL-MTB 153 W: 600mm R:30mm
Sadle: Velo black padded
Seat Post: Alloy micro adjust 27.2 X 300mm with quick-release

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Component spec critique

drinklime said:
hey i found specs for the components on the gmc dual suspension model. does anyone know what is wrong with any of these specific components?

Frame: 26-inch full suspension aluminum MTB frame
Fork: Zoom CH-386 suspension fork 65mm travel
Shocks: Kind Shock adjustable 650 pounds
Chain: KMC Z 51
Crankset: Alloy ISA 335P 28x38x48 L170mm
Front Derailleur: Falcon MF 31 T
Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-TZ30GS SIS 7SPD
Shifters: Microshift TS-50 ADII index L3/R7
Brake Levers: GP 30 AP aluminum
Brakes: LCHI DSK-320 disk brake 160mm
Rims: Alloy black 26-inch X1.5
Tires: Kenda black with yellow band 700X25C
Stem: A-head TDS63K-8 EXT:100mm 15D
Handlebar: HL-MTB 153 W: 600mm R:30mm
Sadle: Velo black padded
Seat Post: Alloy micro adjust 27.2 X 300mm with quick-release
Where to start?

Fork and shock-Zoom and Kind. Both garbage
Chain--at least it's KMC
Cranks-no name brand. Guaranteed junk
Derailleurs-Falcon?? Shimano low end r/d.
Shifters-again, generic junk
Brakes and levers. LiChi discs and no name levers-more junk.
Rims-no name crapshoot
Tires-Kenda! We got a potentail winner here.
Handlebar-generic works for me in this instance
Saddle-Velo makes a nice saddle. This might be decent
Seat post-again, generic may not be bad.

All in all, this bike is department store junk. No other way to put it. Stay away.

Bob

·
I ride a kids bike!
8 Posts
Funny how I found this, I am in the EXACT same boat with the same coupon. I have a Specialized Hardrock FS that is wayyyyyy too small for me. It's from when I was 12 :eek: Well I am 23 now and about a foot or more taller....

Anyway, I like the Mongoose Alta as well. It might be junk but it would probably be a good beginners bike right? I don't want to spend much money and I know that an LBS bike is much better and all the dept store bike bashing is getting to me. I've been researching Trek 4100, Specialized HardRock Sport, and Giant Rincon. Some of these bikes might be out of my pricerange but I have figured I would need a tuneup on the Sports Authority bike, which would put it close to the real bikes.

Please give me some feedback!

First post here, looking forward to many more!!! :)

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
You're welcome

drinklime said:
thanks clyde, that's the kind of info i was looking for :thumbsup:
I would go to one of their stores. Their online offerings are basically department store level bikes. I believe they sell some Diamondback, K2 and Iron Horse bikes in their stores that might be trail worthy. Just be careful. I know that 25% coupon is very tempting. Just be sure you're getting a bike made for mountain biking.

Best wishes in finding the right ride for your hard earned dollar.

Bob

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
DB Response at Sports Auth

Had to run out to pick up something at Office depot at lunch so I stopped in to SA. They were low on bikes, but they had a couple of Diamondback Response on the floor. On sale for $269, you get Truvativ cranks, Shimano Alivio rear derailleur, SRAM SX series front derailleur, RST Gila 6 fork and I believe Tektro rim breaks. with your 25% discount this comes to around $200.00. This bike is a great deal at this price and a nice entry into the mtb world.

Bob

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.