Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
nashbar.com

Right now you can get 20% off and they have the Diamondback Overdrive 29er which would be $440 after the 20% discount. There's also a rigid singlespeed on there which is even cheaper, but I'm assuming you want a suspension fork.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
I have some parts and peices you could have cheap.

Monocog frame/fork
BB7 brakes (no rotors or levers)
Surely front wheel (like new)
Handle bar

That's a bit shy of a full happy meal though.

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
My buddy has the Overdrive 29er and other than the seat/seatpost/brake levers has been a REALLY good bike for him! He's 6'6", 280' so he's pretty hard on stuff so you may be ok with the before mentioned parts...

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Frozenspokes said:
We are in danger of this becoming the BikesDirect forum. But, where else you gonna send someone with only $500 to spend.
Yes , unless you buy used they pretty much own this price point .

·
Is dang happy!
1,384 Posts
seatpost is fine..

DFYFZX said:
My buddy has the Overdrive 29er and other than the seat/seatpost/brake levers has been a REALLY good bike for him! He's 6'6", 280' so he's pretty hard on stuff so you may be ok with the before mentioned parts...
No problems with wtb seat or brake levers either. The dart forks on that model can have a defective damper that leaks and the rear freehub is not quite "shimano" quality but for the price the overdrive is a good bike. At 280 he should be crushing most bike parts.

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
Mr. Doom said:
No problems with wtb seat or brake levers either.
He actually broke the rail on the seat:eek: Not from being adjusted wrong or anything either! The rails came loose in the back of the seat. I was almost like the epoxy, or whatever they use, came loose. The brake levers are still working but they have a TON of play and have a flimsy feel to them. It's not my bike but if it was I'd be picking up a set of cheap Avid 5 levers off ebay for $15... The seat post isn't broken but it creeps BAD! He tried an old bolt clamp he had, instead of the QR clamp, and it still creeps. I'm sure that has a lot to do with being a big dude, though. It's a sweet bike for just over $400 though! I'd get one if I had a budget:thumbsup:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was in the same situation with my wife. She wanted a new bike but only wanted to spend 500 bucks, but I went ahead and got the Windsor Cliff29 PRO for $699. You get alot of nice upgrades(fork, brakes, dereailers, etc.) that is well worth the extra $200.

·
Feeling retro..but Jung
223 Posts
really

bikewrench said:
I have an 18" OnOne Scandal frame that I would let go pretty cheap. It's the original Scandal w/ vertical drops and the scandium front end.
How Much??

·
Registered
79 Posts
DFYFZX said:
A good product with solid support in my opinion.

I'm a little shorter and a little heavier. I ride an Overdrive. I am also a noob. It was a good bike stock, way better than the 10 year old Fisher that I started with. Not light, but neither am I.
I broke the frame above the weld cluster at the tt/st. I got the wrong size (L) to begin with, and put a longer Thompson setback post in to accommodate. They replaced it with an XL and I am way happy with the bike now after some upgrades. I have had other failures, but I would have had them on any other "cheap" 29er too I am sure. Cheap hubs and 300+ pound noobs will never get along.
My lbs has been helpful, friendly, and supportive the whole way. I don't know what help you would get from an online dealer though. Dicks sporting goods moves them cheap at the end of the year, if you have one in your area. I would say for any "cheap as possible " bike it is worth spending a few more bucks locally to get some warranty support. It may as well be a Wal-Mart special if you can't get support to repair and maintain it. If you were talking more in the 1500 plus range, I would say get it on line as cheap as you can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, everyone for the insight. I spoke to my LBS and he seemed to think the 2010 Outcast SS would be a pretty good choice. I ike the DB Overdrive, but I am weirdly jonesing for a SS... I haven't ridden in a looooong time, but somehow the SS thing really interests me. BTW, seems like NOBODY ever has a used XL or even L 29er for sale. I'm 6'4" and about 225 lbs. I did see a DB Overdrive on Amazon shippe for $405... I just don't know.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.