Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has an issue with weight loss. She is a 36 year old gal that has been obese for greater part of 17 years.
At age 21 she gave birth to her second son and weighed about 160. Was bed ridden for the last trimester, ate her way through it and gained about 100 lbs. Subsequently her internist thinks her metabolism is shot. Since then the yo-yo dieting started. 6 years ago I met her when she was at her low point about 180.
The backside of the story getting down to 180 was she was starving herself, working out like crazy and achieving her goal of being “normal”. It took her a long time to get back to her unhealthy weight of nearly 300.
A couple of years ago we started looking into a lap-band procedure. The insurance wasn’t really interested in helping her since all of her labs and I mean all of her labs have her looking like an athlete. Zero co morbidities, really none. No high blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar is good,
Since January of this year she has been on Byeatta 2 times a day (it’s a diabetic medication to curb hunger, reduce the sugar spikes that come from eating too much). It works like a charm! Her appetite is next to nothing, and the weight starts to come off like crazy.
Loses 60 lbs. up until September, she is feeling better about herself dressing nicer, working out etc. Enters a few mini triathlons and finishes, yeah! And even cycles on the road with me 
Very little to no weight loss since September, eats about 1200 calories a day. Swims 30 lengths of the pool 3 times a week. Does the weights and elliptical too, sometimes working out twice in one evening. Nothing changing for her as of late, clothes is getting looser on her. Her weight is the same. She is getting frustrated on the lack of results.
Any ideas, is she eating too little? She does spread the calories around throughout the day, eats pretty healthy AFAIK.
Thanks in advance
Scott
P.S.this is my busy season, I will get back to you ..

·
trail addict
1,868 Posts
Scottay5150 said:
Nothing changing for her as of late, clothes is getting looser on her. Her weight is the same.
Is that a typo? Clothes getting looser is a positive change, even if weight is staying (somewhat) the same.

I am definitely no expert, but one interesting thing I heard lately is that some people's bodies don't need to take in carbs to produce insulin. Looking at a dessert menu or tasting artificial sweetener could trigger an insulin release. The problem with insulin is that as soon as your body starts pumping it out, it is telling your metabolism "Don't burn any fat, if anything store some extra". This is why something like the Atkins diet can work (even though I wouldn't recommend it)-no carbs=no insulin=body uses up fat reserves.

A really good idea might be to make sure that any carb she is eating is mainly low-glycemic, which will not spike the insulin so much. Most vegetables fit into this category. So 1200 calories a day is a good start, but maybe it is time to look at what those 1200 calories are made of... after all, not all calories are created equal. Same unit of energy, but different results on the body. I'm no expert on the glycemic index, but there are a lot of resources on things like the zone diet-which might be a really good idea for her.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
See this post:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=579095

and read Zachariah's comment, about 1/2 way down, #15.

I think the relevant point is by adhering to a careful consistent diet, you train your body to conserve fat! Occasionally breaking discipline causes your metabolism to loose its set-point and start burning fat again.

Intuitively, this makes sense to me. I'm a fairly thin person who makes no effort to watch calories at all. I generally don't eat a lot, but when I'm hungry I eat MUCH more than usual.

Take my advise with a healthy dose of doubt. I am not a physician or a dietitian.

Walt

·
Down South Yooper
1,008 Posts
Could be that she's losing fat and putting on muscle with all the workouts. Muscle weighs more than fat, so she can still be losing body fat percentage and getting healthier, but not seeing a dramatic difference on the scale..

I know some athletes actually lose weight when they stop working out becuase of the muscle to fat trasition..

Plum

·
Tool
1,954 Posts
Plum said:
Could be that she's losing fat and putting on muscle with all the workouts. Muscle weighs more than fat, so she can still be losing body fat percentage and getting healthier, but not seeing a dramatic difference on the scale..

I know some athletes actually lose weight when they stop working out becuase of the muscle to fat trasition..

Plum
Spot on, Plum. Assuming the info in the OP was correct, if she is getting smaller and staying the same weight (clothes fitting more loosely), she is likely building muscle and shedding fat. If that's the case, where's the problem?

It's not clear where your wife's weight is currently at, but it does seem clear she wants to be either smaller or lighter than she is now. She's got to guage whether her goal is realistic - sometimes people set goals for themselves that are just not genetically possible (meaning they may be able to attain that goal, but not in a healthy manner).

It is possible that she is taking in too few calories, however, that would tend to give someone the opposite problem that your wife seems to have - too few calories while working out a lot can make your body store fat and burn muscle - you'll get lighter, but not smaller. As WD was hinting, the type of calories she takes in matters a lot, too. It's possible to have too little fat intake, which will cause your body to store fat and burn muscle (especially since low fat/high protein diets are common - the body sees that proteins are readily available, while fat is not, thus the body's supply and demand system kicks in). Keep in mind that not all fats are equal - the non-saturated ones being far healthier than saturated ones.

What kind of carbs is she taking in? It's important to take in whole grains. Simple carbs, like white bread or white pasta, might as well be sugar. They're not off-limits and can be a part of a healthy diet, you just want to make sure simple carbs are not the vast bulk of the carbs in a diet.

I'm not a nutritionlist or any type of expert for that matter, but hopefully what I've written will help guide you to the types of things to consider and research. Different things work for different people, also, so it makes sense to look at a wide range of solutions and find some that work for you.

-Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.