Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a beginner with doing my own bike maintenance. I installed new rotors and the rear was rubbing slightly against the brake pads. I have done pad adjustments in the past, but this time I accidentally unscrewed the wrong bolts on the brake. After I unscrewed the bolts, I squeezed the brake levers, but instead of the pads clamping down on the rotors, a bunch of brake oil spurted out. I tightened the bolts but now I can pull the lever down to the handlebars. It stops the wheel after 2-3 seconds but it obviously needs work. The brakes are Shimano hydraulic M446.

So I think I just need to add mineral oil to the brakes but I have never done that before and I don't have a bleed kit.

A) Did I mess this up really bad, or is this a quick fix?
B) Think it's worth it for me to buy a basic bleed kit, or should I just take it to the LBS?

Thanks!

·
DFMBA.org
1,935 Posts
If you're not comfortable doing a bleed take it to your lbs and have them do it. There is no harm in trying though, and its really a pretty simple procedure that you'll want to learn at some point anyway.

·
Magically Delicious
12,499 Posts

Bleeding your brakes is one of the more important maintenance items that (most) everyone who rides or has an interest in maintaining their own bike should learn how to do. While it's not as simple or intuitive as using a screwdriver, it's not a difficult process or skill to learn.

My philosophy is a simple one for anyone who rides mountain bikes that might find themselves someplace where a broken bike can find them stranded. Stranded can be as simple as a long walk back to the car or a more serious situation. Learn to work on your bike and become more knowledgeable about its workings. There will be a day when something goes wrong with your bike in a place that walking your bike out is not on your desired list. Being able to repair the bike and ride out is a much better alternative.

As stated earlier, do some research on this forum and look-up some YouTube videos and brake bleeding specific to what you have. You can get by without bleed kits if you're a little creative, but a quality bleed kit can simplify the task. Go for it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.