Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
High Grade Skinjob.
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello...

I'm a relatively new wheelbuilder, but am happily riding my own sets on my road and mtb, and am very confident in them for drops, jumps and generally supporting my 200 lb frame through the wilderness...

BUT...

As i attempted to get a tiny sectioned trued up on a front disc mtb wheel (paul FHUB and a TN719 with comps) that i'm selling as part of a set, i totally messed it up cuz i didn't leave well enough alone. Knowing when to stop is something i'm still working on....

My question is: can an experienced wheelbuilder (with a gauge and everything...i am still using the "ping" technique with relative success, but will maybe eventually get a gauge) salvage a structurally sound wheel that is now all over wobbly, w/out needing to replace the rim?

Dunno if that's enough info or not.

Here's hopin'...

stan.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Try taking all of the tension off of the spokes and see how bent the rim is. If it is still way bent/wobbly with no spoke tension, it may have developed some weak spots. This can be tested by retensioning it and seeing what relative tensions in the spokes are necessary to get it retrued. If your maximum spoke tensions are over 20% of your average spoke tensions, the rim is toast. Otherwise, it may be salvaged.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.