Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok looking for advice i bought a yakuza ironhorse 5.1 before i realized how much i love doing this and before i found out they are considered crap ive been ridin about a week and love jumping and going fast ive been through 2 front tires already i cant afford to go buy a 4 to 5 hundred dollar am set up so any suggestion on what i should upgrade first i live in tx near dallas fort worth

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Is that a Wally world bike? Link please

·
Registered
291 Posts
You get what you pay for, sell your other useless possessions and embrace the money pit we call mountain biking. Jumping accelerates wear and tear its best to have the proper gear

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
29" Iron Horse Men's Yakuza 5.1 Mountain Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys : Walmart.com

The bike is designed for XC riding, not jumping. Spending $$ on new wheels is not going to make it jump any better, you will just be breaking more expensive wheels.

If you want to spend a little money on it and make it handle better then try a shorter stem on it. It's an inexpensive change that you may like.

Other than that my advice would be to start saving and then rather than go to Walmart for a bike go to a proper bike shop. When you are there spend some time talking to the staff and explain to them what you want from a bike. They can then show you what your options are and let you test ride some bikes.

This doesn't have to be a one-time process, or a one-shop deal. Find a store you like and find the bike you like and then spend your money with a local business rather than a soul-less corporation.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Ok, the simple answer is you can't polish a turd.

Walmart bikes have their place but under your ass is not one if you want to be jumping and hucking stuff.

I hate to say it but you have to pay to play and the harder you play more you have to pay.

If you just bought it a few weeks ago I would attempt to return that bike to Walmart and put the money towards a better bike. If you can't return it, I would just ride it like it was intended and save your money for a better bike. At least until then you can keep your legs strong and learn basic fundamentals of riding that don't involve gaining air and other things that will trash that bike.

If you truly love the sport, you will eventually be willing to sell a kidney to satisfy your addiction.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
If you can't afford new look at some used bikes.
You will be surprised what you can get.

·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the basics dwn pretty good i rode dirt bikes for years when i was younger i was looking at those Chinese carbon frames and thinking of starting there but not sure if a hard tail will be good for how i ride the most i get is about 4 ft of air and about the same on drop offs is a hard tail ok for that or do i need to go full suspension i rode a buddy's full awhile back and didnt care for how it climbs took a lot more work and how long until ur ass stops being sore lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ok, the simple answer is you can't polish a turd.

Walmart bikes have their place but under your ass is not one if you want to be jumping and hucking stuff.

I hate to say it but you have to pay to play and the harder you play more you have to pay.

If you just bought it a few weeks ago I would attempt to return that bike to Walmart and put the money towards a better bike. If you can't return it, I would just ride it like it was intended and save your money for a better bike. At least until then you can keep your legs strong and learn basic fundamentals of riding that don't involve gaining air and other things that will trash that bike.

If you truly love the sport, you will eventually be willing to sell a kidney to satisfy your addiction.
+1
Return the bike.

If you're going to be doing drops and jumps, don't go with a hardtail. You'll break spokes left and right. Look at used bikes. Get a good wheelset and frame. The rest can be upgraded.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
No, you must have a full squish bike with lots of travel to big jumps and drops.

I just wish somebody would Martyn Ashton that. ;)

OK Seriously, maybe a road bike is a little extreme unless you have uber skillz and probably deep pockets to buy the best and replace it when it breaks. Still though, I see guys here (and yes we have highly technical trails) riding everything from full squish long travel bikes to full rigid single speeds. Full squish certainly makes the gnar gnar a little easier but you gotta ride what you like not what others like.

I have a full suspension geared bike and a single speed hard tail. I love them both equally but for different reasons (kind of like having kids which I don't so my bikes are my children).

As far as the Chinese carbon frame build goes. I thought you were on a tighter budget.
I mean in your original post you said " i cant afford to go buy a 4 to 5 hundred dollar am set up ". Well, a cheap Chinese carbon fiber frame is going to cost you almost $300 by itself. I am not going to total everything up for you but it will cost more than $500 when you are done (way more).

So what is your actual budget?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe the way to look at the purchase is not as a mistake but as a valuable learning experience that you get what you pay for. Do you like your teeth? Cause spending more than 300 bucks is going to be cheap if that shitty walmart bike craters under you and your face contacts the stem. Not to mention the other parts of body that can be creatively hurt. Think of the benefit to your overall health. That Walmart bike is only good for beer runs.

·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, you must have a full squish bike with lots of travel to big jumps and drops.

I just wish somebody would Martyn Ashton that. ;)

OK Seriously, maybe a road bike is a little extreme unless you have uber skillz and probably deep pockets to buy the best and replace it when it breaks. Still though, I see guys here (and yes we have highly technical trails) riding everything from full squish long travel bikes to full rigid single speeds. Full squish certainly makes the gnar gnar a little easier but you gotta ride what you like not what others like.

I have a full suspension geared bike and a single speed hard tail. I love them both equally but for different reasons (kind of like having kids which I don't so my bikes are my children).

As far as the Chinese carbon frame build goes. I thought you were on a tighter budget.
I mean in your original post you said " i cant afford to go buy a 4 to 5 hundred dollar am set up ". Well, a cheap Chinese carbon fiber frame is going to cost you almost $300 by itself. I am not going to total everything up for you but it will cost more than $500 when you are done (way more).

So what is your actual budget?
Yes i am on a budget i was thinking of selling my mossberg 500 tactical shotgun and starting a build i cant return this bike ive already put some good marks on the frame lots if rocks where i ride and i dumped it the other day off off a 3ft drop on the rocks. But the carbon ive seen are cheaper then some of the am frames iv been looking at so i thought it might be a good start but i haven't seen any fs only hard tails for 300

·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive also cosidered buy good quality parts and putting them in this frame untill i can find the frame i can afford And like coming up with a couple hundred every month to buy a decent upgrade is doable

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Mistakes can ALWAYS be undone. Clean-up the bike and either return or sell it outright, and save a few MORE to get what you really want...

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Yes i am on a budget i was thinking of selling my mossberg 500 tactical shotgun and starting a build i cant return this bike ive already put some good marks on the frame lots if rocks where i ride and i dumped it the other day off off a 3ft drop on the rocks. But the carbon ive seen are cheaper then some of the am frames iv been looking at so i thought it might be a good start but i haven't seen any fs only hard tails for 300
Ive also cosidered buy good quality parts and putting them in this frame untill i can find the frame i can afford And like coming up with a couple hundred every month to buy a decent upgrade is doable
Seems like you already have all the answers.
Please document your Iron Horse build so we can document it and put it with Jeep bike build.

·
No Stranger to danger....
4,596 Posts
First off mate, dont waste a cent upgrading/putting more parts on your iron horse, that would be a pointless waste of money, ride it until it breaks or throw it in the bin.

Second off, DONT build your own bike, if you cant spend 4 0r 5 hundred on an AM set up you cant afford to build a bike, building anything half decent will cost you well in excess of 1 or 2 thousand.

Heres you only option, for 4 or 5 hundred bucks you cant buy anything new, certainly not a semi decent AM bike, you will have to start saving, wait until you have saved as much as you can, certainly more that 4 or 500 bucks if you want a 2nd hand AM bike, if you save 1k you will be able to get a decent 2nd hand bike, maybe you will be able to find one for less if theres no rear suspension.

OR

Id be looking out for something like a giant STP dirt jump bike, 2nd hand you can buy one for 500 bucks, they are bomb proof, you can jump all day long on them, any type of DJ (dirt jump) bike would be sweet for you, and they are real fun to ride, like a big BMX (26'' wheel size)

Youve written this in the 29 section, if your looking to have fun, jump things, a bit of free ride, you dont want a 29, you want a 26 or at most a 27.5.

So go look for a DJ bike, you will have tonnes of fun, they are bomb proof, you can be hucking 10'' drops if you want, and they are cheap 2nd hand, just make sure you get the right size.

cheers

1 - 20 of 118 Posts