Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be careful if you are a MASHER..... I didn't post this to knock the cranks, because I really like them. They are light and stiff, but the chain ring could obviously be a little stronger. Or invest in a good after market ring.. By the way does anyone have any good suggestions.

Attachments

·
SNGLSPD
1,057 Posts
was that a 32 or 34

have you broken more than one?
I just got a set and like mine,a lot

·
Cyclist
493 Posts
chain ring bolts

No suggestions on rings, but I've seen posted here that chain ring bolts installed in the open holes will help prevent this kind of failure.

·
Registered
881 Posts
bummer...

What a bummer.

Can you mount a spider instead of that single ring? If so, I would do a Spot ring and guard. I hit trees and stuff all the time with my Spot setup, never had an issue, I and weigh 200lbs.

MC

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KgB said:
have you broken more than one?
I just got a set and like mine,a lot
No, this is the first ring. I got them about 3 months ago. I really like mine too, just need to find a stronger ring.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Is that a sibling company to White Industries?

Sorry to see that happen to such a nice crank, but the same seems to occur to Race Face Turbine cranks that don't get their granny bolt holes filled. [clarification] Can everyone say stress-riser? [/clarification]

Did you get hurt?

How long were they ridden?

dd.'' :mad:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dodjy said:

Sorry to see that happen to such a nice crank, but the same seems to occur to Race Face Turbine cranks that don't get their granny bolt holes filled.

Did you get hurt?

Don't know about the sibling thing. Luckly no injuries, but I was going up a good steep.. I was more upset that I didn't get to ride... It happened pretty close to the beggining of the ride.

·
Registered
478 Posts
No kidding... it would piss me off too.

Glad to hear you're OK. Keep us posted on how you solve it. You should look into warranty and mention 'stress-riser' in your request. ;)

dd..''

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
dodjy said:

Sorry to see that happen to such a nice crank, but the same seems to occur to Race Face Turbine cranks that don't get their granny bolt holes filled.

Did you get hurt?

The holes are a lot bigger than chainring bolt diameters. I am afraid of that happening to mine as well since I usually bash into things. (I used a bash ring on my old RaceFace cranks.) I've gotten a little more apprehensive about hopping over big logs now.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
GiantSS said:
Be careful if you are a MASHER..... I didn't post this to knock the cranks, because I really like them. They are light and stiff, but the chain ring could obviously be a little stronger. Or invest in a good after market ring.. By the way does anyone have any good suggestions.
Does anyone know if the Whites have the same spline pattern as the older XTR? Maybe we could get a 94mm 5-bolt spider adapter for them. I really want a bash ring again :(

·
Registered
478 Posts
Drevil said:
The holes are a lot bigger than chainring bolt diameters. I am afraid of that happening to mine as well since I usually bash into things. (I used a bash ring on my old RaceFace cranks.) I've gotten a little more apprehensive about hopping over big logs now.
Yeah... I was referring to the condition being that of a stress-riser, not the need for enormous bolts and creation of new threads. ;)

dd..''

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Drevil said:
Does anyone know if the Whites have the same spline pattern as the older XTR? Maybe we could get a 94mm 5-bolt spider adapter for them. I really want a bash ring again :(
Yeah I think that is what I am going to try. Thanks for the suggestions. Again..to all that are looking for good cranks....these are great. I would still recommend them

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
WOW!?

I have two sets of the WI ENO's on the Surly freewheeler and my King Pin Fixie. So far so good after a few months of use, but I'm 6'5"/235....I'll watch 'em.

I'd hate to break that going downhill on me fixie........ 8^)

Glad you weren't hurt! I snapped a chain recently on a short/big rocky climb, and made it out alive, despite a nice "Leg Eater" gash to the right shin.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Please be sure to let White Industries know about that failure, via your LBS or directly by you. They'll give you a new ring, I'm certain.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't understand why there's such a big hype about White Ind. cranks.
Aren't they just cold forged Sugino cranks stamped with a Whit Ind. logo like they were in the '90's? Why pay so much more when you can get the same exact thing for cheaper?
Besides the shimano chainring spline thing - what makes them so special?

Not trying to rile up Ernesto - just curious is all.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
old cranks

Fixeyfreeride said:
I don't understand why there's such a big hype about White Ind. cranks.
Aren't they just cold forged Sugino cranks stamped with a Whit Ind. logo like they were in the '90's? Why pay so much more when you can get the same exact thing for cheaper?
Besides the shimano chainring spline thing - what makes them so special?

Not trying to rile up Ernesto - just curious is all.
I have an old crankset that were cold forged Sugino cranks stamped with a Whit Ind. logo. The ENOs aren't like that. I don't know what the manufacturing process is (machined?) but mine are great! But in case you know, at every endurance race I go to where we have a pit, I always have a backup set of cranks...just in case. Still, ENO rocks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts