Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would you ever considering selling your SS, if you geared bike weighed nearly the same? Since I love to SS, I have the discipline to ride my geared bike like a SS but I've been kinda thinking about selling the SS to start a new project. I know riding a geared bike like a SS isn't exactly the same but its pretty close. I will admit there is a feeling of less accomplishment on the geared bike knowing I can wimp out and change gears at any time. What do you guys think, should I keep my dedicated SS ride?

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
1. There is no reason you can't have both
2. Each to their own but I don't ride SS for the weight, I ride it cos I love it
3. I see your dilemma but I probably wouldn't buy another geared bike until both my knees are destroyed.

·
1,534 Posts
1-bar said:
would you ever considering selling your SS, if you geared bike weighed nearly the same?
it's about the weight?
a cassette, two rings, derailleur, wires & shifters don't weigh that much. it's not like you're adding really significant weight to a bike by adding gears.

my geared bike actually weighs less than my ss. i like my ss more.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nomit said:
it's about the weight?
a cassette, two rings, derailleur, wires & shifters don't weigh that much. it's not like you're adding really significant weight to a bike by adding gears.

I agree, I actually prefer to ride the SS however some of the steep terrain around here makes it easy for me to take the Geared bike. I'd also like to build up a soft tail or may a low travel FS bike to give me a little more variety in my rides.

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
If I could hop on my geared bike, and get instant, direct, and stable shifting, that never slipped, never required any work or maintenance and weighed the same as my SS, then I'd rock it every day.

I'm finding more and more my geared bike is like a Ferrari, fun to ride, not so fun when something goes wrong.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Both

Hey why cant you have both? A nice 24lb 5" travel gears bike AND a nice 22lb 29" SS hard tail. That way when you ride either one they are so different it is like having two bikes. Thats how I ended up building my SS. I ride the SS Monday thru Friday and the geared bike on the weekends.
Oh I also only use the 5" geared bike for 12hr racing, not quite ready for the abuse of the SS for that long of a day. Yet!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have both SS and gears.

Some days I feel like SS, some days I feel like gears.

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front): They both have two wheels and pedals, so it's all good

:thumbsup:

/.

·
Registered
77 Posts
nomit said:
it's about the weight?

I have found that it adds about 2lbs and change, of course depending on your set up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.