Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I turned 45 this year and it seems to be that time in life when high school friends start dying and loved ones start getting ill. For these reasons and others I"ve had a chance to go back to where I grew up in westchester county new york a couple times this year. It's been 22 years since I moved to Northern California, I stared riding about 11 years ago, and racing 4 years ago. Since I live about an hour from Lake Tahoe and Downieville, I've become a n MTB snob and always assumed there was NO MOUNTAIN BIKING where I grew up. Before My first trip back home I checked out WMBA.ORG to see if there were any trails in Westchester, I was surprised to see there were and that one place(Sprain Park) was just a few miles from the house I grew up in many years ago.
I arrived in July to drop my kids off at summer camp and had a chance to ride with some of the guys from WMBA at the Sprain Park. I could not believe how technical and fun the riding was and how friendly the WMBA crew was. I did more log crossings in one ride then I do all year here (not an exaggeration!)


We flew back for a week over thanksgiving and I had called an old Collage buddy who hooked me up with my new hero Craig


Craig not only lent me one of his bikes for the week , he also lent me a vest which I forgot as well as a set of body armor, something I never tried before



Craig and Gil took me to Graham Hills first.


This was the coldest ride I've ever done, the temp was 25 when we started then "warmed" up to 34 by the time we were done...brrrr. There must have been 10-20 cars in the lot when we started, the east coast riders are hard core! Next day Blue Mountain. More awesome technical trails. Can you tell it was cold?




One of weirdest parts of the ride, Eating the PB&J sandwich my "mommy" made for me for the ride. Lucky my wife is therapist. :)

Lunch time


Last ride was solo and back to The Sprain. There were some of the best technical riders I've seen out there that day. I think his name was Ian, here he is doing a big drop


Can't remember this guys name, here he is about do a monster drop much bigger then it looks!


I've been to Moab and Sedona twice, and I thought the trails in NY were almost as much fun. Yeah the scenery was not as good and there were no real long epic climbs, but the trails were a blast. Lots of NY slickrock


Me going down some NY Slickrock



Other Observations

I'm a girly man when it comes to riding the real technical stuff




East coast set up.. Big Ring? I got your fockin big ring right here!



There is a reason where everyone wears body armor there.
Logs, logs and more logs



Maybe I was just on vacation but the NY riders sure seemed a lot more friendly to me. After only 2 rides with the guys from WMBA I feel like I have a gang to ride with.
As our governor says

I'll be back!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,869 Posts
Great write up Rick! Whats with all the tiny images? FWIW, 25 sounds WARM now! And I will say you're brave for posting a pic of you with Armor over TIGHTS! :p

No one makes a better PB&J than Mom...

JK

:)

edit: looks like your on the way to fixin' up the images/links! cool - better do a few at a time, resave thread, then edit again.....
 

·
paintbucket
Joined
·
2,825 Posts
East coast scenery is as good as anywhere. You just can't see it except in small glimpses. ;)
 

·
Recovering
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
Both Blue Mountain and Sprain are real gems- with all of the sweet, technical lines you could ask for. You wouldn't think there would be riding that great a mere half-hour from Manhattan.

I couldn't make it out to that ride on Sunday, but went out to Sprain on Monday with a friend. Was up into the mid 50's, and we were in shorts! A nice change from the 20 degree ride the Friday before. Pics and vids here:

http://www.nycmtb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27

Yes, no real views to speak of, but I'll trade the views for being able to live in NYC yet ride great terrain like that only a short drive away.
 

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
Joined
·
1,500 Posts
merlin said:
Lots of NY slickrock


East coast set up.. Big Ring? I got your fockin big ring right here!

Shhhhhhhh! You'll have everyone in the country headed this way! ;^P

The difference between Moab slickrock and NY slickrock is that Moab slickrock, while bare, offers some grip. NY slickrock is frequently covered with moss, leaves, mud, or any combination of the above, rendering slicker than a wet bar of soap.

I've got that same bashguard on one of my bikes.

Glad you enjoyed your stay!

Kathy :^)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jbogner said:
Both Blue Mountain and Sprain are real gems- with all of the sweet, technical lines you could ask for. You wouldn't think there would be riding that great a mere half-hour from Manhattan.

I couldn't make it out to that ride on Sunday, but went out to Sprain on Monday with a friend. Was up into the mid 50's, and we were in shorts! A nice change from the 20 degree ride the Friday before. Pics and vids here:

http://www.nycmtb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27

Yes, no real views to speak of, but I'll trade the views for being able to live in NYC yet ride great terrain like that only a short drive away.
Wow those are some big drops, nice pic's!
 

·
life is a barrel o'fun
Joined
·
2,502 Posts
Whenever I get "upgradeitis" in regards to where I live, it's nice to be reminded that there aren't as many technical features on the west coast. So if I were to move out west for the riding, I'd start missing the log piles and rocks.

The WMBA group is definitely one of the nicest, most accommodating bunch of locals you can end up with. :cool:
 

·
Dab Master
Joined
·
456 Posts
Hey Merlin! sorry I missed you this trip! I'm SURE you'll post up next time your out here. I see you went to Blue MT. - Thats where all the real goodies are!!!!

Next year we will introduce you to Ninham Mt. - can't wait to read your recap after riding there ;>)

See ya soon
FTB

and hopefully next time I'll have a bike for you....sorry about that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
Westchester is where its at in the Northeast! The WMBA dudes have done a bang up job and have turned the destinations there to dare I say some of the BEST places in the country to ride (not that Ive been too far). Its that good (and fun!).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
The northeast is great all around...There are great trails all over the place. CT, NJ, Upstate NY & PA all have some great offerings.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fattireb said:
Hey Merlin! sorry I missed you this trip! I'm SURE you'll post up next time your out here. I see you went to Blue MT. - Thats where all the real goodies are!!!!

Next year we will introduce you to Ninham Mt. - can't wait to read your recap after riding there ;>)

See ya soon
FTB

and hopefully next time I'll have a bike for you....sorry about that.
Hey Fatty...maybe this summer...see you then
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Edvig said:
Hi Merlin...sorry to have missed you last week. I'll hopefully catch you the next time you're here. :)
Did'nt we ride together for a little while at the sprain?
 

·
Hairy man
Joined
·
4,923 Posts
Christine said:
Whenever I get "upgradeitis" in regards to where I live, it's nice to be reminded that there aren't as many technical features on the west coast. So if I were to move out west for the riding, I'd start missing the log piles and rocks.

The WMBA group is definitely one of the nicest, most accommodating bunch of locals you can end up with. :cool:
Come to the Northwest! It's got logpiles, rocks and a longer riding season. Well, a lot of higher elevation stuff closes for the winter, but the low elevation stuff is open.
 

·
hands up who wants to die
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
I'm a recent transplant from San Francisco to NYC. I think I've said that exact same thing to some of my friends back in norcal:
merlin said:
I did more log crossings in one ride then I do all year here (not an exaggeration!)
 

·
New project, TBA shortly
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
westchester rocks. in addition to Ninham, also make sure you ride Trumbull, Stewart Airport, Ringwood (none of which are in Westchester, but are less than an hour away).

:cool:
 

·
surly inbred
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
Joe Dirt said:
It is nice to see pics of places people ride.
It is also nice to see photos here of places that I ride, too.

Nice write-up ...chalk up another for tiny east coast vistas.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top