Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Response sport is cool.

I know better bang for the buck is out there, but I got a deal on it and the frame is great so later I can upgrade with parts I want instead of just buying a mega dollar bike that comes with whatever they put on it.

I don't care what people say about it...it is a great bike, just geared toward the bulk market as an entry into sport biking.

Today I was messing around with the gears, put it in low then stomped the pedal and she pulled up the front wheel about a foot and a half...I was just sitting and not even pulling on the bars I also noticed that pedaling hard up the hill you better lean into the front ot the front will pop up from under you. I like how light it feels in the front....I can throw the front around easily just hitting the pedals and slight pull on the bars.... I do this to avoid taking roots and sidewalk edges head on.

So far the bike has not been adjusted or had anything break. I ride on the road and mild one track, but even so..the bike is still running nicely.

Also I feel a lot healthier and my blood pressure has gone down.... Overall I am happy I spent some money on this thing... It's deff worth it!

·
Banned
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I don't like biker shorts....I bought some with the foam thingy in it and put them on for a ride..Wore my denim shorts over them and ...ummmm May as well wear a diaper cause it feels like that or maybe that is what it feels like.

It works and my ass is not hurting, but urrrmmmm they feel funny. Not sure if it looks funny if I go in store to get a water... Don't want people thinking I have depends on or something lol.

Who else wears those?...

·
Ride'n Dirty
144 Posts
Everyone who is serious about not getting chaffed. The alternative is to buy one of those fat ass seats you see old people with on there bikes.

I ware baggy shorts over my PI Ultra sensors, works great, padding is minimal but efficient.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Probie1Kenobi said:
Everyone who is serious about not getting chaffed. The alternative is to buy one of those fat ass seats you see old people with on there bikes.

I ware baggy shorts over my PI Ultra sensors, works great, padding is minimal but efficient.
:nono: that is NOT an alternative:nono:

PS: OP, you don't wear underwear with chamois fyi
I wear baggie MTB shorts w/ chamois/padding FWIW

·
Banned
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really why not use a fat-ass seat? Same thing really instead of the padding on your ass it's in the seat. I saw some gel seat covers that I may try.. They look good too. I spend most of my time on the seat on mild foot paths and roads so my ass does get tender.

I didn't know you weren't suppose to wear anything other than the shorts.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Eric2.0 said:
Really why not use a fat-ass seat? Same thing really instead of the padding on your ass it's in the seat. I saw some gel seat covers that I may try.. They look good too. I spend most of my time on the seat on mild foot paths and roads so my ass does get tender.

I didn't know you weren't suppose to wear anything other than the shorts.
No fukkin way.
Those things are a gimmick for dumb fukks.
One, a fat saddle (unless you have REALLY wide sit-bones) won't fit you; and 2, a gel cover is not a stable platform and you also endup sitting on your soft tissue instead of your sit-bones which is more painful in the long run.
The wide seat and/or gel cover will lead to chafing because of either the fit or or the instability of the gel cover causing your hips to rock side-to-side.

Make sure you have firm saddle that fits your sit-bones (Ischial Tuberosities).
Good chamois (padding) conforms to your body so the 'padding' becomes a part of you, not vice-versa .

·
Ride'n Dirty
144 Posts
Take it from someone who *used* to buy cheap bike shorts...$30.00-$50.00 shorts. Buy a Great pair of shorts made for men, for riding. Buy a 6-10 panel short, I personally like Pearl Izumi's, I wear Ultra Sensors and after a long hot ride my skin is cool to the touch, the padding is second to none especially after a long ride. I can ride for hours without any discomfort yet my saddles offer almost no padding at all. My shorts cost $110.00 a couple of years ago and were worth every cent 2X.

Gell seats dont work except for maybe 20 min rides, anything longer than that gel and big soft padding is in effective as your weight simply pushes it out of the way.

·
541 Posts
Eric2.0 said:
Also I don't like biker shorts....I bought some with the foam thingy in it and put them on for a ride..Wore my denim shorts over them and ...ummmm May as well wear a diaper cause it feels like that or maybe that is what it feels like.

It works and my ass is not hurting, but urrrmmmm they feel funny. Not sure if it looks funny if I go in store to get a water... Don't want people thinking I have depends on or something lol.

Who else wears those?...
Denim shorts? Wait till your fitness level gets to where you can put 5 hours in the saddle. You will look back and wonder. Get the right shorts and a good saddle. Your ass will thank you. No to denim.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Eric2.0 said:
My Response sport is cool.

I know better bang for the buck is out there, but I got a deal on it and the frame is great so later I can upgrade with parts I want instead of just buying a mega dollar bike that comes with whatever they put on it.

I don't care what people say about it...it is a great bike, just geared toward the bulk market as an entry into sport biking.

Today I was messing around with the gears, put it in low then stomped the pedal and she pulled up the front wheel about a foot and a half...I was just sitting and not even pulling on the bars I also noticed that pedaling hard up the hill you better lean into the front ot the front will pop up from under you. I like how light it feels in the front....I can throw the front around easily just hitting the pedals and slight pull on the bars.... I do this to avoid taking roots and sidewalk edges head on.

So far the bike has not been adjusted or had anything break. I ride on the road and mild one track, but even so..the bike is still running nicely.

Also I feel a lot healthier and my blood pressure has gone down.... Overall I am happy I spent some money on this thing... It's deff worth it!
Just Curious.. What is the Great new bike you love so much? Not that it matters but it may influence another to purchase one.

Ride on Brother!! :D I know I will!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Normally I'd defer to someone with more experience to field this question, however I strongly disagree with the notion that gel-seats do nothing for the comfort of your ride. Sure, quality bike shorts will reduce chafing and make for a comfier ride, but who's going to shell out $100+ for basically what amounts to an undergarment? Professional riders, that's who. Or people who are seriously dedicated to riding exceptionally long distances for great lengths of time on a regular basis. Personally I have a Bell Honeycomb Gel-Tech Saddle and it's the most comfortable thing I've ever ridden on, bar none!

·
Registered
332 Posts
cxerophim said:
Normally I'd defer to someone with more experience to field this question, however I strongly disagree with the notion that gel-seats do nothing for the comfort of your ride. Sure, quality bike shorts will reduce chafing and make for a comfier ride, but who's going to shell out $100+ for basically what amounts to an undergarment? Professional riders, that's who. Or people who are seriously dedicated to riding exceptionally long distances for great lengths of time on a regular basis. Personally I have a Bell Honeycomb Gel-Tech Saddle and it's the most comfortable thing I've ever ridden on, bar none!
you should have just deferred to someone with more experience like your originally planned. listen to highdell, he knows all.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
cxerophim said:
You can buy the padded liners for like $15 at REI or a set of quality shorts for as low as $15 at www.nashbar.com.

·
Banned
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats2odd said:
Just Curious.. What is the Great new bike you love so much? Not that it matters but it may influence another to purchase one.

Ride on Brother!! :D I know I will!!
A Diamondback Response Sport from Dick's Sporting Goods lmao.

·
Banned
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
highdelll said:
No fukkin way.
Those things are a gimmick for dumb fukks.
One, a fat saddle (unless you have REALLY wide sit-bones) won't fit you; and 2, a gel cover is not a stable platform and you also endup sitting on your soft tissue instead of your sit-bones which is more painful in the long run.
The wide seat and/or gel cover will lead to chafing because of either the fit or or the instability of the gel covet causing your hips to rock side-to-side.

Make sure you have firm saddle that fits your sit-bones (Ischial Tuberosities).
Good chamois (padding) conforms to your body so the 'padding' becomes a part of you, not vice-versa .
Sitting on soft tissue...yikes and ouch. I do like to travel for a long ways on the road often so it does make sense.. my ass would probably turn red.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Seriously, anavrinIV and by the transitive property, highdell are correct here (or maybe that's the other way around, or maybe a different mathematical property... oh well).

A seat that is made to be used for long periods of time must support your body by it's sit bones. Otherwise the crushing of soft tissue will lead to numbness and fatigue. Gel covers are made to be comfortable for 15 minutes or so, if you didn't find the saddle comfortable before you put a cover on it, then you had the wrong saddle. Specialized dealers usually have a device to measure sit bone width, it might be worthwhile to go check one out and see what width saddle would be ideal for you. Take the advice of people who have spent years searching for their own "perfect" saddles, gel is not the answer.

Current saddle: WTB Pure V, switching to WTB Rocket V when I wear this one out.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
cxerophim said:
Ignore this post please .......................

·
Registered
12 Posts
Padded shorts are a...

Good riding apperal is simply a part of the system! You'll look at bar width, pedals, grips, drive train etc. and upgrade as you go. Ride a lot and figure out what you need to keep riding!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.