Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Beer is my spirit animal
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love washing my bikes! I spend a lot of time here at the shop I work in washing other peoples' bikes, and while I enjoy doing that, too, washing my own is such a relaxing and rewarding task. It really makes me appreciate the simplicity of a singlespeed drive-train, and it was cool to have both my Redlines lined up waiting for a bath.

The 'Cog has been hanging in the shop for a month leaving dried up mud all over the service room, so she needed it worst of all, but the cx bike has been seeing lots of road gunk (crap that looks like moss was all over the chainstays.... your guess is as good as mine) and has been my primary ride since I finished building it at the beginning of the month.

Also, when I'm washing a customer's bike it's usually a bike that has never been washed, so it's a bit of a respite from the elbow-grease it takes to remove twenty years of grease from a cassette. Anyways, thought I'd throw some positive energy out there and feel free to share pics of your favorite ride after it's all soaking wet. (I expect to see some pics of Emily Batty resulting from that comment, highdell, whether you have to doctor them or not).

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
so whats the best process?...bucket of warm water with a bit of dish soap? low pressure from a hose and a rag to knock the chunks off?....i know high pressue water isnt a good idea especially around the delicate bits... have any thoughts/tips?

·
Beer is my spirit animal
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use a mixture of WD-40 and IPA for scrubbing the bike down and then blast the whole bike with the highest pressure I can muster (the shop hose sprays much more intensely than my own). I figure without any gears I should at least have every bearing making as much noise as possible, so I don't feel left out on climbs when everyone is shifting to the granny gear.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Beer is my spirit animal
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...and take it in the shower. Lovingly loofah away the day's dirt and then towel off together :D
If only my woman was this easy to maintain. And fixed.

·
Beer is my spirit animal
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For these bikes it was literally just a hose off. If something needs servicing because I sprayed the grease out, I can work on it myself. Otherwise it's soapy water, simple green, and very low pressure.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I love to use this stuff called Charlie Soap. You can use it on everything but it does awesome as a degreaser as it was originally intended. Lots of brushes and disassembly!

·
2,989 Posts
Brush off the big stuff, wipe down with a 409 or equivalent dampened rag. Wipe chain, re-lube, wipe off excess.

I'm going to start telling people I wipe it down with goof off and turpentine. And use WD-40 as lube.

I have tomorrow off, I might give my bike a bath and post the pics in the evening.

·
Beer is my spirit animal
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brush off the big stuff, wipe down with a 409 or equivalent dampened rag. Wipe chain, re-lube, wipe off excess.

I'm going to start telling people I wipe it down with goof off and turpentine. And use WD-40 as lube.

I have tomorrow off, I might give my bike a bath and post the pics in the evening.
Careful, the mods might start trying to clean up these forums with goof-off!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Usually in mid-February my bikes are very clean because the opportunity to ride is limited by significant amounts of snow and ice on the trails. Just last weekend I came home from a ride and was going to clean the bike I just rode. As I parked it back in "the stable" I looked at my other MTB and it had been "rode hard and put away wet" so she got a bath too. Then I looked over at my hyrbid (my version of a road bike) and I remembered that my last road ride involved a surprise off-road trail I discovered...so she needed a scrub too. At the end I was so proud of how clean they all were. Now the 2 MTBs are calling for another cleaning. I figure its a good problem to have...means I've been riding. :)

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I am reeeeeallly bad about this.

I clean my drive train after every ride (pretty much have to here). Aside from that, maybe once every month or so I will spray the bike down with Simple Green and rinse with the hose on low.

Dirt hides all the nicks in the paint. And my bike is just dirty again 30 seconds after I hit the trail... so drivetrain bits it is.

·
Beer is my spirit animal
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am reeeeeallly bad about this.

I clean my drive train after every ride (pretty much have to here). Aside from that, maybe once every month or so I will spray the bike down with Simple Green and rinse with the hose on low.

Dirt hides all the nicks in the paint. And my bike is just dirty again 30 seconds after I hit the trail... so drivetrain bits it is.
The drivetrain is really where I like to let my effort "shine" if you'll pardon the pun, but with my ss bikes, until there is lots of grime everywhere I tend to let them go for longer. Plus I lube my ss drivetrains with epic ride so I don't have to think about it as often. My geared bike gets a lube every ride. But I haven't ridden Eris in a while.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I like leaving my mountain bike dirty. Nothing says, "this is my dirty dirty beat down *****" quite like a dirty dirty mountain bike!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I love having a clean bike simply because I take pride in what I own. I look at each bike as an investment and I like to show it off :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
I had my bike at the LBS a while back and one of the techs said to another tech: "Dude look at this..." The other guy said "Man, do you ride this?" I said "You tell me - put a chain gauge on it and check out the cassette... " Both were toast.

My last mtn. bike lasted 14 years. My last road bike lasted 13 - well, the road bike is still in action, just promoted to SS status ;)

·
CB of the East
4,131 Posts
I use Orange Thunder Citrus Solvent instead of WD-40 for cleaning. It degreases just as well but is more intended for cleaning so it washes off easier. A little goes a long way. It's a lot like citra solve but cheaper. I also use it in the chain cleaner.

In the winter I use a car washing brush dipped into a bucket of hot water from the sink because I have to shut off the outside faucets or they'll freeze.

The white bike really needs to be cleaned more often to look acceptable.

·
Banned
83 Posts
I had my bike at the LBS a while back and one of the techs said to another tech: "Dude look at this..." The other guy said "Man, do you ride this?" I said "You tell me - put a chain gauge on it and check out the cassette... " Both were toast.

My last mtn. bike lasted 14 years. My last road bike lasted 13 - well, the road bike is still in action, just promoted to SS status ;)

Is this picture pre-lube, or do you use something extra clean/dry?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Is this picture pre-lube, or do you use something extra clean/dry?
Post lube. I use...

After the bike/drive train is dry, I lube the chain pretty liberally. Then - here's where it gets weird - I run the chain through my fingers, working the lube into the chain. Time permitting, I'll let the bike sit like that 'til it's time to ride (or overnight), then run the chain through a clean terry cloth rag to get the lube off the chain.

The key is this: Lube goes IN the chain. Lube ON the chain is useless.

Also, I never spray the citrus cleaner onto the bike - I spray the brush then scrub. I don't want the cleaner to run down the cogs, etc. into the bearings.

·
Beer is my spirit animal
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I love shiny cassettes. Well done, sir!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts