Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a year since I moved to Cedar Crest, NM (on the other side of the mountain from Albuquerque) and I have been head down exploring all of my many riding options. This is a ride report from one of my favorites...

I throw the bike on the car and drive 5 miles and 2k feet up to the 1/2 way point of Sandia mountain. Park at the ski area and ride up 2000feet of singletrack that zigzags up the mountain to the crest. (This is called the King of the Mountain trail and it is used for a lot of local races and stuff) Most of this trail is a twisty climb up buff singlestrack, with a couple short rocky downhills thrown in to keep you on your toes.

Here is a shot that is typical of this part of the ride. Notice the grasses - in some spots they obscure your view of the trail so much that you are basically "using the force."

Vegetation Nature Grass Natural environment Plant

Here is the view from the top looking down what I just came up:

Mountainous landforms Natural environment Highland Mountain Valley

This is the view from the cliffbar munching spot on the other side of the crest:

Wheel Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

And another from the same spot - notice the tram (worlds longest aerial tramway):

Vegetation Mountainous landforms Rock Outcrop Highland

From the top, I bomb down ~700feet on the ski area downhill trail (mostly fast, flowy singletrack) until I get to the 10k (named that because it roughly follows the 10,000 ft elevation line) trail cutoff:

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle Plant community Bicycle part

From here on out, the riding changes character quite a bit....

Contued below...

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...Continued

From here on out, the trail is rough, overgrown and filled with technical desents. The total descent is 4,000 feet.

Here is a shot of the overgrown trail (all you non-locals aren't gonna believe that this is New Mexico!) - the thorn bushes make you tough!:

Vegetation Nature Natural environment Plant community Nature reserve

And here are a couple shots of the technical character. This one is me looking back up what I just rolled down:

Vegetation Natural environment Plant Plant community Rock

And this is me looking down the line I have to follow:

Bicycle tire Rock Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Bedrock

I burned through 3 cliff bars that day, but lucky for me, there were plenty of carbs available trailside for the picking:

Plant community Flower Shrub Woody plant Flowering plant
Plant community Leaf Terrestrial plant Groundcover Flowering plant

After decending 4k feet, this network of trails that ends up taking me back to my front door where my awesome wife gives me a ride back up to the car.

So basically, I live at the bottom of an epic 4k singletrack descent!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
FaultySanity said:
....pretending to be editable goodness.
I think that sentence is editable, and probably needs to be :D

I haven't been to NM in many years, and I've only hiked there. Your pics and post are sure enticing....that rocky line looks pretty sweet. T

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Great pics, I lived in Albuquerque during High school, and used to run the La Luz quite a bit. Never got into MTB until years later. Your photos are convincing me to make a road trip back to visit the folks, with bikes! Thanks, SS.

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Shoulda made a Left Turn at ABQ

Sandia's great for its variety. You can climb over 3k, have a beer at the restaurant then descend on technical singletrack. The hardest decision is: Do I continue on to Faulty?

Here's some pics from a past ride:

RCC climbing

Stu showing the newbs his switchback technique (note: two people behind are +25 years younger and didn't make the turn)

Mtn.Biker123 trying to avoid scraping off a derailleur

Sheep in the grass

supramk388 preparing for Gaspin In The Aspens

Obligatory Tram shot

Pano shot from the tram after beer goodness (click to pop for full size)

Pano shot from the blinky towers (click to pop for full size)

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
A few more...

RCC on an obstacle

City overlook

notaknob on the tail end of a nasty climb

View from the top

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Very nice, have to check that out! Join us sometime in Prescott, Arizona - nice stuff here too and lots of diversity like New Mexico. Ever ride around Santa Fe???

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tls36 said:
Very nice, have to check that out! Join us sometime in Prescott, Arizona - nice stuff here too and lots of diversity like New Mexico. Ever ride around Santa Fe???
That's funny - we moved to NM from Prescott. I lived off Copper Basin for 2 years and yep, I agree on the diversity factor there too - I'd say that Prescott and Abq have about the same plethora of riding options and terrain. And, nope, I have been too busy with the local riding to cruise up to Santa Fe. Maybe next season I'll be more jaded about the local stuff and I'll be more motivated to get out of my backyard :p

·
slamma
122 Posts
hey i use to live in prescott aka biscuit,, thats were i picked up mountain biking in college.
good old thumb butte and spruse mountian... just a drive away from sadona and moab. :thumbsup: i now live in wa and love it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow! Thank you for sharing. I haven't gone out to ride in the Sandia Mountains in years. I'm in the process of building out my bike and can't wait to hit those trails again. Thanks for the inspiration and reminding me how beautiful it is out here.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Nice, I have just added another place to live when I get out of the Navy.

·
Tossin the salad.
737 Posts
Stunning pictures!! Our family plans to head out to RedRiver, NM soon. Plan to take the MTBs. I hear they have great trails.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Albuquerque is usually just a place I drive through between colorado and el paso. next time i drive down to see my family, i may have to make it a two day drive and do some riding...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts