Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been installing my i-links the last couple of days (struggling), finally got it to work great with steel cables.
Now that I finally got the power cordz through, when ever I twist the grip shift it goes from the 9 to 8 and so on until 6 without even pulling the cable, it doesn't shift in to the next gear (11 to 13) until it hits 5 and then it shifts fine from there.
I haven't worked with rear derailleurs much, so I'm not to sure what to do. Any ideas?
I'm using XO gripshifts with a short cage XO rear derailleur, Alligator Mini I-Links, and 1.2mm PowerCordz.

Thanks,
Colin.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
just been messing around with Carbon-TI 40/26 chainrings this evening and had to detatch my XTR FD with Power Cordz inner cables attacted, i'm also using XO gripshifters.

i had to re-tension the Power Cordz FD cable as my FD was shifting weirdly, i used long nosed pliers to gently tease any slack cable through the cable clamp then tighten it up, too much heavy pulling the Power Cordz housing can come away leaving inner threads flapping about - must have wasted 40 mins on an otherwise easy install just problem shooting those Power Cordz

with the RD (i think) i normally set the gripshifter to 9 then tension the cable on the 32 (or 34) largest cog ring, don't forget to wind the adjuster (at the grips) to the middle incase you have to do any fine tuning laters

hope that's of some help

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
COLINx86 said:
I've been installing my i-links the last couple of days (struggling), finally got it to work great with steel cables.
Now that I finally got the power cordz through, when ever I twist the grip shift it goes from the 9 to 8 and so on until 6 without even pulling the cable, it doesn't shift in to the next gear (11 to 13) until it hits 5 and then it shifts fine from there.
I haven't worked with rear derailleurs much, so I'm not to sure what to do. Any ideas?
I'm using XO gripshifts with a short cage XO rear derailleur, Alligator Mini I-Links, and 1.2mm PowerCordz.

Thanks,
Colin.
Colin,
I have no idea about the amount of friction powercordz have inside the Minis. Maybe this creates the problem?

But aside from that the i-links outer housing does settle some at the beginning. The individual segments need to find their place and this needs a couple of shifts.During this time the cable "loosens" as the outer housing "shrinks".
So all you might need to do is to thighten the inner wire once more or simply put more tension on the wire at the shifter.

OR you might have the housing fixed at the cablestops and now that it's gotten slightly loose it needs to be set up a little different? On my Scott Scale for example the housing gets fixed using either some clamps under the top tube and some zip-ties at the chainstays and i always do a couple of shifts before thightening all those clamps and zip-ties until the housing has settled.If you have the housing fixed at the frame right away the housing will still get shorter between those stops and then you get kind of "ghost" shifting. So loosen all the clamps, do a couple of shifts, re-thighten the inner wire and then you can have the housing fixed to the frame. I hope i was able to explain it well enough.

OR the most common mistake is that people tend to shorten the i-links just a little too short. When loose without the tension of the inner wire, the housing is longer.Once installed on the bike the tension of the inner wire will make the outer housing "shrink" as the individual segments get closer to each other. So if people have them shortened to the same lenght than you would do using regular outers you might end up with housings just 10-20mm too short once installed on the bike.That's the amount the housing "shrinks" initially when tension from the wire is applied.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks culturesponge, I'll try that.

Nino, the powercordz feel like they have a little less friction than the steel cables.
Thanks for the information, I'm gonna go try tightening it now.

Colin.

EDIT: thanks guys. I just went and got it nice and tight, and put the adjuster in the middle. Pretty much got it, just needs a little fine tuning (I'm kind of picky). But that can wait until morning, I'm tired.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've recently ditched my powercordz. I was using them with xo twisters & rear mech & a SRAM red front mech. At first everything seemed fine but over time the front shifting was getting stiffer & stiffer untill I thought the grip shift was broken. When I opend up the shifter I found the cable had about 1/2 inch of slack that folded back on itself. This took some digging out, I swapped over to a spare clarks wire cable & everything felt brand new again. The liters were power cordz own so there shouldn't have been any dragging issues. I don't think Ill be using cordz again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.