Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I'm not really willing to pay what they cost. There are supplements on the market that seem to be exactly the same thing, just in a higher dose per pill. All they consist of is magnesium, calcium, and vitamin D, so is there any reason not to pop half a pill of an off brand (equal to about 3 sportlegs) at a fraction of the cost?

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
JoelM said:
...I'm not really willing to pay what they cost. There are supplements on the market that seem to be exactly the same thing, just in a higher dose per pill. All they consist of is magnesium, calcium, and vitamin D, so is there any reason not to pop half a pill of an off brand (equal to about 3 sportlegs) at a fraction of the cost?
Depending on where you buy them (Performance or Sportlegs) and in what quantity, you are talking about a cost of 16 - 19 cents per capsule. So, if based on your riding weight, you are taking 3 capsules before a ride, that equals 48 cents to 57 cents per ride (and that's before figuring in all the free sample packets that Sportlegs throws in the order).

How cheap do you want to go?

Ditto for energy bars, gels and sports recovery drinks.

Gosh, a gal/guy could end up spending $2 to $3.50 per ride alone. Still cheaper than a $4 Starbucks visit or a Big Mac.:D

BB

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BruceBrown said:
Depending on where you buy them (Performance or Sportlegs) and in what quantity, you are talking about a cost of 16 - 19 cents per capsule. So, if based on your riding weight, you are taking 3 capsules before a ride, that equals 48 cents to 57 cents per ride (and that's before figuring in all the free sample packets that Sportlegs throws in the order).

How cheap do you want to go?

Ditto for energy bars, gels and sports recovery drinks.

Gosh, a gal/guy could end up spending $2 to $3.50 per ride alone. Still cheaper than a $4 Starbucks visit or a Big Mac.:D

BB
pre-race nutrition, multiple gels, half a dozen electrolyte pills, half a dozen other supplements, post-race nutrition... if i could get it down to $2 to $3.50 per ride, I would be thrilled. Please let me know where you are stealing your stuff from ;)

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
JoelM said:
pre-race nutrition, multiple gels, half a dozen electrolyte pills, half a dozen other supplements, post-race nutrition... if i could get it down to $2 to $3.50 per ride, I would be thrilled. Please let me know where you are stealing your stuff from ;)
Well, I wasn't figuring in the cost of pre-race nutrition (breakfast) which I eat at home out of the grocery bin. Why would I include that cost in the figure? Regardless, I grab a bowl of cereal, bagel and banana or something like that. After breakfast, I hop in the car and drive to the race.

I buy Cytomax in 4.5 lb jubs and mix my own energy drinks (usually take about two 16 ounce bottles with me for the race). Depending on if I buy in bulk or not, I pay about $22 - $24.95 for my can of Cytomax which has 28 - 32 servings per can. I don't like it so sweet, so I usually can easily get about 35 or so servings out of a can. So each race that is about $1.25 - $1.43 for energy drink (2 bottles) and I also have 2 bottles with just water that I tag along and use (nearly "free" tap water from my kitchen). Toss in Sportlegs (which I don't always use) and that's another 48 cents. I usually only use 1 Gu gel (if even) in a race that is 2 1/2 hours or less. They run about 83 cents per pack the way I buy it (boxes of 24). I don't take electrolyte pills (although I've picked up a couple dozen packs at the swag table that are sitting around the house).

I guess that means my per race cost is around $2.56 - $2.83 depending on what I paid for the goodies. Obviously, if I raced longer races and needed more energy drink, more gel packs, more Sportlegs, etc... - costs would easily get up over $5.

Post ride, I eat and drink what the race promoters are providing at the food tent/table which our entry fee covers. Fruit, sandwiches, beer, soda, water, sports drink, cookies, etc... .

What are your costs and how much stuff (and what stuff) are you using? Sounds like you must be racing longer races than I enter.

BB

·
Hike it or Bike it!
287 Posts
mtbfool said:
I'm surprised they even held races before the invention of Sports Legs.:rolleyes:
Before Sport Legs? Simple. There was EPO, cocaine, amphetamines and rolling pharmacies with plenty of hypodermic needles along the way.

Just ask Roland Green, Andy Brazelton, Chris Sheppard and many others.

How about the Tour de France?

Tour de France: Prior to 1965, doping in cycling was not illegal and it was common practice for cyclists to use a wide variety of substances to boost their performance, among them caffeine, cocaine and after 1945, amphetamines.

http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.cgi?path=326451168446089

That's what everyone did before Sport Legs..........:D

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
SingingSingleTracker said:
Before Sport Legs? Simple. There was EPO, cocaine, amphetamines and rolling pharmacies with plenty of hypodermic needles along the way.

Just ask Roland Green, Andy Brazelton, Chris Sheppard and many others.

How about the Tour de France?

Tour de France: Prior to 1965, doping in cycling was not illegal and it was common practice for cyclists to use a wide variety of substances to boost their performance, among them caffeine, cocaine and after 1945, amphetamines.

http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.cgi?path=326451168446089

That's what everyone did before Sport Legs..........:D
Whoa now. You got any evidence of Roland Green using any of those drugs? He had one sanction for not filing the proper paper work for his inhaler.

Anyway, that wasn't my point.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My wife bought me a bottle of supplements last year. I don't know what they are, but they really work. It's amazing. My power output increased 10% almost instantly (combined with a healthy lifestyle and 15 hours of training per week). She won't tell me where she gets them, and I can't find them anywhere on my own. And for you cynics, I haven't failed any drug tests either!

The label says "Placebo". I'm not sure what that means, but you all should check it out if you can find it.

Or you can learn some basic physiology and save yourself some money.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Actually, the science behind Sportlegs makes total sense. Magnesium and Calcium are both very important elements to assist in the prevention of cramping and - I'm guessing - vitamin D is as well. I've never actually tried those Sportlegs but I will bring along one pharmaceutical grade magnesium tablet (my wife gets them for me) and a couple of calcium tablets (a.k.a. Tums) and down the lot of them if I start to cramp. After a few minutes, the cramps tend to lessen (not subside altogether) and I'm able to continue.

I may have to give these things a try as I can only get so much Magox from the wife.

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BruceBrown said:
What are your costs and how much stuff (and what stuff) are you using? Sounds like you must be racing longer races than I enter.
I typically eat really nasty stuff about an hour and a half to two hours before a race (read, mcdonalds, burger king, or whatever the motel breakfast is if it's nasty enough). I snack up until the start, including a gel and usually electrolyte tabs and possibly sportlegs about 30 minutes before a start. I usually do a very weak sports drink mix in the camelbak, and take along a gel per lap, along with some extra pills if its massively hot. Afterwards, if it's available I'll do a recovery mix, but typically I just cram whatever food is close to me into my face. Oh, and don't forget the beer or cheap champagne (we race with some very fast juniors who can't enjoy their spoils:D )
It definitely adds up, and half a dozen sportlegs can cost nearly 2 bucks, depending on the quantity you buy them in. This year I'm trying to get down a consistent race nutrition regiment, and that will consist of a lot of expensive crap (Hammer). Anywhere I can cut corners, I will.

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Upon further research, it looks like I'll be going brand-name after all. Although I could find calcium lactate, I couldn't find magnesium lactate except in 100lb bins. Thats probably a bit more than I want to deal with. Oh well, it was worth a try.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Iktome said:
My wife bought me a bottle of supplements last year. I don't know what they are, but they really work. It's amazing. My power output increased 10% almost instantly (combined with a healthy lifestyle and 15 hours of training per week). She won't tell me where she gets them, and I can't find them anywhere on my own. And for you cynics, I haven't failed any drug tests either!

The label says "Placebo". I'm not sure what that means, but you all should check it out if you can find it.
:D :D :D :thumbsup: Nice pwn! I used sportlegs a couple times with no noticed performance gains. The mind is so gullible.

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fisty said:
:D :D :D :thumbsup: Nice pwn! I used sportlegs a couple times with no noticed performance gains. The mind is so gullible.
Maybe I'll start filling up my hydro pack with Guinness instead of water. Apparently it makes no difference...

Seriously, why are you guys even bothering to read through the "XC Racing and Training" forum since you're convinced that everything is fake anyway? Are you lost?

·
Registered
891 Posts
JoelM said:
Maybe I'll start filling up my hydro pack with Guinness instead of water. Apparently it makes no difference...

Seriously, why are you guys even bothering to read through the "XC Racing and Training" forum since you're convinced that everything is fake anyway? Are you lost?
Everything is fake ....wth? First off, a good diet will supply you with more than enough calcium and magnesium. Second off you need to do some research about vitamin absorption. Thats all. Just do some facts searching.

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's precisely what I did, and that's the reason I decided that your typical cal-mag +d supplements wont have the same effect as sportlegs claims. The idea isn't necessarily the calcium or magnesium directly, but the form in which they are delivered, ie calcium and magnesium lactate. This is supposed to flood the bloodstream with lactic acid, causing the muscles to produce a lower amount.
Do they work? I don't think its going to send anyone from sport to pro after they take them, but I'd say they probably work to some degree. Nothing replaces training and proper nutrition but it pays to have an edge, however small it may be. According to their website, university studies have shown that edge to be pretty significant. Sure they are biased towards their own product, but I doubt that they're fabricating the research.
Go to their website, have a read.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
JoelM said:
Upon further research, it looks like I'll be going brand-name after all. Although I could find calcium lactate, I couldn't find magnesium lactate except in 100lb bins. Thats probably a bit more than I want to deal with. Oh well, it was worth a try.
100 lb bin? Yeah, that's a little more than you would need for this lifetime.:cool:

Check all the SportLegs partners' links that carry the product to see where the best deal is. Buying in bulk at some places, you can get the 120 capsule bottle for $19.95 which would put your cost at 99 cents per race (if you are taking a half a dozen like you said):

http://www.sportlegs.com/store/products.asp

I'd say the place to save $ and improve your pre-race nutrition would be here:

I typically eat really nasty stuff about an hour and a half to two hours before a race (read, mcdonalds, burger king, or whatever the motel breakfast is if it's nasty enough).

Bring a cooler from home and stock it with fresh fruit, a small carton of milk and bring along a box of cereal, a bagle or two - all purchased at the grocery store. Make your own nutritious breakfast and eat it 2 1/2 - 3 hours before the race. Not sure the McDonald's or Burger King breakfast is the cheapest and best fuel....:eek: (in spite of the "convenience").

BB

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BruceBrown said:
I'd say the place to save $ and improve your pre-race nutrition would be here:

I typically eat really nasty stuff about an hour and a half to two hours before a race (read, mcdonalds, burger king, or whatever the motel breakfast is if it's nasty enough).

Bring a cooler from home and stock it with fresh fruit, a small carton of milk and bring along a box of cereal, a bagle or two - all purchased at the grocery store. Make your own nutritious breakfast and eat it 2 1/2 - 3 hours before the race. Not sure the McDonald's or Burger King breakfast is the cheapest and best fuel....:eek: (in spite of the "convenience").

BB
I do need something to replace the fast food with something better, but I've tried the healthy breakfast 3 hours before a race thing. By the time I get to the starting line, I feel famished and half bonked. Eating something with a lot of protein and and fat in it is the only thing that seems to keep me going, and as long as i eat it an hour and a half before a race, I never have any stomach problems because of it. That's where more expensive supplements may come in. I'm going to try eating healthy and drinking Perpetuem up until start. I'm not sure if it will help or not, but there's got to be something out there that will tide me over that is better than a bacon egg and cheese McMuffin. Mmm, now I'm hungry.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.