Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it isn't ideal. For one thing there isn't a good way for the reservoir to not sink down into the bottom of the pack, and I still can't get the shoulder straps to work great.

I'm thinking that a good saddle back and two good sized waterbottles might do the trick for rides in the 2-3 hour range.

For those of you using saddle bags and water bottles. What bag are you using and how do you like it? And are you using oversized waterbottles at all - if so, what brand?

My frame has two cages already - have any of you added a third cage underneath your top tube and if so, what did you use for that extra addition of water?

Thanks in advance.

MMcG

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mark,

You must drink a lot of water ;) I have a 100 oz camelbak and 2 20 oz bottles (not sure of the brand) for long rides. I did a 5 hour ride (5-1/2 hour total time out) on the 4th of July, it was hot and humid and that 140 oz lasted until almost the end.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alexis - I sweat like a mofo - genetic or something, so I do go through more fluid than probably the average rider does.

The Wingnut I bought - clearance model - would be great for long days up in the Kingdom Trails let's say, but it is kind of overkill for the post-work type rides I do.

I like how it sits low on my back (again, I sweat like a pig so not having a camelback on my upper back is nice), but it is kind of oversized and therefore somewhat overkill for the shorter rides I do.

I was thinking a saddle bag that can hold a pump, tubes, multitool, and maybe a small bottle of bug spray - combined with two good sized water bottles might get me through these post work rides with enough fluid to keep me properly hydrated.

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,098 Posts
Mark,

I sewed a very short section of 1/2" webbing into the top to utilize the hook on the top of the DB bladder. It works great and solved the problem of the bladder ending up in a heap at the bottom of the pack.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
MMcG said:
it isn't ideal. For one thing there isn't a good way for the reservoir to not sink down into the bottom of the pack, and I still can't get the shoulder straps to work great.

I'm thinking that a good saddle back and two good sized waterbottles might do the trick for rides in the 2-3 hour range.

For those of you using saddle bags and water bottles. What bag are you using and how do you like it? And are you using oversized waterbottles at all - if so, what brand?

My frame has two cages already - have any of you added a third cage underneath your top tube and if so, what did you use for that extra addition of water?

Thanks in advance.

MMcG
you are overthinking it. put a gallon jug of kool-aid in an old jansport backpack and go ride.

edit: if you want to go nuts, get an LL Bean backpack with your initials embroidered on it.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jh_on_the_cape said:
you are overthinking it. put a gallon jug of kool-aid in an old jansport backpack and go ride.

edit: if you want to go nuts, get an LL Bean backpack with your initials embroidered on it.
Yeah that's it, I'll get an LLBean pack with MMcG embroidered and plenty of reflective material on it too. ;) :thumbsup: :D

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
I've been using a Camelback for a couple years and just picked up a Dueter from Chad at Red Barn. It's been great regardless of the weather conditions - 100 degree days? Keeps me cool. Downpour days? Has a built in rain cover.

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
MMcG -

I have a MountainSmith Karn (I think) that I use with the additional "Stapettes". It is actually the pack that got me interested in the Wingnut (I have the Hyper 2.0). I definitely like the straps better on the MS jobby and I generally love the bag. I use it for commuting all the time. Way more than any of my messenger bags.

I'm don't really like it any better than my WN on MTB rides, but it is a good bag in general. More bulky than the WN but more comfortable too.

LP

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cairn I think they call it. Thanks for the heads up lanpope. Did it come with a reservoir included - it doesn't show it in the photo, but it mentions it listed in the description.

Can it carry a couple of tubes, a multitool, a pump and a few other items? Looks like it should be able to work well.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Mark, FYI the new generation Wingnuts have fixed alot of your issues, well, your packs issues=:) They now have a hook at the top for the bladder, and the straps are improved too. The Assault is nice and small, a popular size, and the Splitback gives a bit more capacity. What you liked about it is still there, and they are very energetic in listening to customer input, and implementing alot of it. I would try a newer one, you'll be pleasantly surprised by all the small changes for the better. Better yet, Jack and Hudson agree=:) Cheers!

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MendonCycleSmith said:
Mark, FYI the new generation Wingnuts have fixed alot of your issues, well, your packs issues=:) They now have a hook at the top for the bladder, and the straps are improved too. The Assault is nice and small, a popular size, and the Splitback gives a bit more capacity. What you liked about it is still there, and they are very energetic in listening to customer input, and implementing alot of it. I would try a newer one, you'll be pleasantly surprised by all the small changes for the better. Better yet, Jack and Hudson agree=:) Cheers!
Yep I realize that. However, the reason I went for a clearance model was my budget and the price of the new generation packs were well above my price range. Perhaps I should have opted for a smaller clearance sized model.

I'll keep rockin the closeout Enduro I picked up for now, while contemplating other options.

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
MMcG said:
Cairn I think they call it. Thanks for the heads up lanpope. Did it come with a reservoir included - it doesn't show it in the photo, but it mentions it listed in the description.

Can it carry a couple of tubes, a multitool, a pump and a few other items? Looks like it should be able to work well.
No, I don't use a reservoir with the MS. It has two side waterbottle pockets and I keep cages on the bike too. Like I said, I usually use it for commuting, but it has been along on several rambling rides without a problem. If quick access to water is a priority, I would look elsewhere.

Yeah it will hold a lot. I recently put a 6 pack of bottles down in there and was able to zip it up, so I think a tube and pump and all that will be fine ;)

Good Luck,

LP

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
i reworked the straps on my camelbaks to mimic the setup on my wingnut (that absolutely self destructed after six months......)
and it fits much nicer now. rides low like, the old wingnut pack, doesn't sway all over the place. i've done this to a mule and a hawg. next up: some side pouches modded to fit on the bottom/side of the mule to give me the pack size i want, with the weight down low and on the sides ala the wingnut.

for the bladder, the wingnut packs kinda blow; i never liked the bottom entry into it. the thing fit great, but had some design quirks that i'd do way differently. the sticthing blows: i had to repair parts of it several times. at least the pack fabric is tough! and the mesh side pockets blew out very quickly. i'd not buy another one, unless they beef up the construction a bit. e-mailing the company about these problems got me no response.

get whatever of the 06 'baks, and you can rerig the straps this way, and have nicer/wider/more padded straps than the pathetic ones the wingnut stuff comes with.

Attachments

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
I ordered a new gen wingnut to try last friday...it seems their situation is a bit "old gen" as I have not had any confirmation of my order... i called today to investigate and the tape recorder voicemail system cut me off...and emails are going unanswered....

bummer....i'm going to have to try the camelback adjustment thingy...seems like a fun project...

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
scrublover said:
get whatever of the 06 'baks, and you can rerig the straps this way, and have nicer/wider/more padded straps than the pathetic ones the wingnut stuff comes with.
That's pretty sweet. I looked at that Camelbak and noticed the irrelevant hardware where it shoulda been adjustable but wasn't. You fixed their design flaw. Ingenius. What's up with the cross strap (grey)?

·
Registered
193 Posts
More info?

scrublover said:
i reworked the straps on my camelbaks to mimic the setup on my wingnut
Hey scrublover, I wonder if you'd post some photos of you (or someone) wearing the pack? I like what you've done but I don't have access to a Wingnut to compare it too. Also, it's hard for me to figure out just what you've done by the photos. I'm using a HAWG. Thanks!

Gary

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.