Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retro Grouch
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We’ve all done it. Bought something on impulse; or you changed your mind and you were left with “IT”. I’m not talking about the big stuff, you know like buying the wrong bike, or upgrading; I’m talking about a bike part or accessory that after limited or no use at all it just sits there in the parts bin, never to be used (again). Below are a few examples. The first are eight compression washers needed to rebuild a Judy shock. When I bought my Bontrager it came with a Judy shock and one was supposed to use new washers every time you rebuilt the sucker. The issue is these darling little jewels are [email protected] Yikes!:eekster: So I bought ten and got a 5% discount. About a month later I realized the shock was a POS and sold it on ebay. I now have $32 worth of compression washers I will never use (if you need some send me a self addressed stamped envelope).

The second is fairly obvious; a Surly wheel set (with QR axles). When Paul finished my Rocklobster, I bought a custom wheelset; Mavic 519’s laced to the Surly hubs. For whatever reason I convinced myself I would not be wanting disc brakes:madman: ; that lasted about a month. I bought a Real disc front hub on ebay and tried the atomlabs disc "rotor adapter" on the rear. The rear setup never quite worked right and screamed like murder every time it got hot; the disc alignment was just a tad off. After the Cream Puff I bought a Novatec disc hub and no more screaming. The only redeeming part of this whole story is we were able to R&R the spokes:thumbsup: .

The third un-shown part is a Shimano #CP-FH35. I actually bought one:blush: . If you know what it is and want it; it yours.

1G1G, Brad
 

Attachments

·
-_-
Joined
·
4,749 Posts
Oh man, I just gotta say it, Shimano Pie plate right? (Shimano #CP-FH35) We refer to them as "Frizbee's" or "Freewheel Friction Plates".

Yep, it falls into the "I'm a tech, so I recognized the code" category. Do I want to know if this was for the SS? No, I don't really expect you to answer that one.

Obi.. :thumbsup:
 

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
Joined
·
2,262 Posts
When you're starting out riding MTBs and you come to MTBR, and you match that with an obsessive personality, you do end up with the "what was I thinking" phenom quite a bit, I think. MTBR becomes the pusher, ebay and discount online retailers become the enabler, and the you become the junkie you're afraid to admit you are.

Let's see. Like you, I'd written off disc brakes early on ("I'm never going to need that - that's totally overkill!") so when I needed a new wheelset for my first bike, I opted to a get a non-disc wheelset to save $10 or so versus the disc version. Good grief, I've added disc brakes to two bikes over the past 12 months.

Worse yet, I picked up a set of cantilever brake hangers (front and rear) 'cause I thought that I would one day use cantilever brakes with my dirt drop bars and road levers. Wrong! What the hell was I thinking?! Why on God's green earth would I do that?!

Are both those hubs Surly hubs? What's the rear one - a fixed/free or a free/free?
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
you people are ridiculous. you are shallow, weak males who clearly cave to peer pressure and are vulnerable to marketing from the bike mags and fellow mtbr members.

grow up and show some self control!!!!
 

·
Retro Grouch
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That goes without saying..

FoShizzle said:
you people are ridiculous. you are shallow, weak males who clearly cave to peer pressure and are vulnerable to marketing from the bike mags and fellow mtbr members.
That goes without saying; your point?

1G1G, Brad
 

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
A bit OT but...

just curious to hear more about the Atomlab disc adapter on the Surly hub. I ordered one of those a few weeks ago, but when i got it, it didn't even come close to being lined up right. It put the disc rotor about .150" too far outboard to line up with the caliper. I ended up shipping it back to atomlab, and making an adapter in the machine shop at the Tech college where I teach. It lines up right, but I am waiting to order a new set of BB7's to try it out on the trail. Details please? Any pic of the hub with the adapter in place and disc mounted? Thanks, sorry for the hijack!

frog
 

·
Retro Grouch
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry no pictures that really show anything..

1 cog frog said:
just curious to hear more about the Atomlab disc adapter on the Surly hub. I ordered one of those a few weeks ago, but when i got it, it didn't even come close to being lined up right. It put the disc rotor about .150" too far outboard to line up with the caliper. I ended up shipping it back to atomlab, and making an adapter in the machine shop at the Tech college where I teach. It lines up right, but I am waiting to order a new set of BB7's to try it out on the trail. Details please? Any pic of the hub with the adapter in place and disc mounted? Thanks, sorry for the hijack!

frog
I had the same outboard probelm. My adapter had a raised area on one side that I filed it down to fit ; still the disc ended up being canted slightly which was very problematic as I earlier described. I decided to just buy a disc hub (what a concept) and be done with it.

FoShizzle said:
Brad, I am speaking in the third person I am one of y'all
I was answering sarcasm with sarcasm and it doesn't transfer well :confused: ; I was once chastised and called a bad name for doing the same thing :eekster: .

1G1G, Brad
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
aka brad said:
I had the same outboard probelm. My adapter had a raised area on one side that I filed it down to fit ; still the disc ended up being canted slightly which was very problematic as I earlier described. I decided to just buy a disc hub (what a concept) and be done with it.

I was answering sarcasm with sarcasm and it doesn't transfer well :confused: ; I was once chastised and called a bad name for doing the same thing :eekster: .

1G1G, Brad
sorry brad....i should have known :(

i guess it is only in forums i dont frequent where i get angry responses from my lame posts like the one above....i may need to change my username :)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top