Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on some poor purchasing execution I find myself with two 185mm rear rotors, and two 160mm front rotors. The brakes are Avid BB7 mech's. I know I can purchase adapters to correct the situation (in this case either 2 or 4 adapters, depending on how I go). My question is threefold: Has anyone tried running 160 front/185 rear ( I know 70% of stopping power is up front)? This would prevent further adapter purchases. If I have to go with adapters, I was thinking of running one bike with 185mm f/r, and the other with 160 f/r (2 adapters to buy), or would it be worth it to buy 4 adapters and run 185 front and 160 rear on both bikes?

I know this may seem a silly question, but a buddy I ride with is going to great lengths to put a larger rotor on the rear tire of his bike because he swears this is a better combination, so before I order a bunch of adapters I thought I research it a bit..

One other question: Is there any way to make 185mm adapters work on 160mm rotors, or vice versa?

Thanks!

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
there's no such thing as a front or rear "rotor", so i'm not sure i follow you entirely...

but regardless of what opinion your friend holds the larger rotor should always go in the front, as you said 70%+ of your braking is there. on my DH bike i run 203/185, on the trail bike 160/160 and it works out fine, you'd be ok with the 185/185 and 160/160 just put the larger rotors on the bike that sees the bulk of the fast downhill.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Adapters are about 10 dollars a pop. Might as well get them.

Or if you've got some really long bolts, you can just use spacers underneath the CPS washers on the 160mm adapter to push it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts