Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I tried a search first and did not see any content regarding Time pedals.
I have used various time pedals over the years and am currently on a pair of Time MX platforms.
My complaint is that after some rock strikes, I am frequently jumping out of the engaged position when I bunny hop or lift for air over a bump. I am reluctant to try another brand as I have the muscle memory for release down pat and don't want to learn a new release.
The Time MX are relative cheapies, and I thought that just meant more weight. There are certainly pricier models that I could try, but I the only advantage is weight, we can focus on the spring action. I originally went with Times because the straight up and down pull from jumping could not create a release. I have tried using fresh cleats with the same result.
I appreciate any suggestions as to better Time models or alternate brands with a similar release motion.
Thank you for any knowledge, experience or opinion that you are willing to share.
Mike

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,876 Posts
you may want to get flat pedals and learn to hop and jump without relying on being clipped in ...because you can do all the 'things' in flat pedals. trials riders do it all the time

it'll make you a much smoother rider.

aside from that then just practice not rotating your feet when you do that 'thing'

for a different set of pedals less prone to popping you out for small foot movements shimano spuds with single release cleat are good. you can still get out of them when you need but they are nowhere near as loosey-goosey as time

·
Registered
505 Posts
Guys, the OP said that he wants to get his Times fixed, not advise on new pedals... He also said that put new cleats with no result, so refreshing cleats is not a solution either.

I see two possible explanations:

1. The spring is worn, and releasing the cleat anyways. Or,

2. You are getting stronger and pulling your pedals with more force.

I don't know if Time sells the spring as part of the rebuild kit. Does not seem like, as this post:
https://forums.mtbr.com/components/time-mx-pedals-spring-replacement-993648.html

So my suggestion is a new pair of pedals. The cheaper Shimanos are hard to beat in price and durability. Or a new pair of Times, if that suits you better.

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
^That and stiffer shoes release much easier than softer shoes. Especially when jumping or otherwise getting radical.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
Weird. I've been running Times of one sort or another since the mid 90s. I pull up quite hard on the pedal when sprinting out of the saddle, and also when tossing the bike around. I've never had that issue. Are you getting fully engaged in the pedal? Is the sole of the shoe tight against the pedal body? (It shouldn't be) I've found that many shoes are made for Shimano pedals and will have a narrow, deep cleat bed that doesn't work well with Time pedals. Of course, the pedals could be the issue as well. Maybe email Time U.S. (they're in Co) and see what they say.

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To all, thanks for your input. I have a solution that I can post to aid in future searches. It is the pedals. Since I am a long time Time user, I went to a box where I keep replaced gear (pedals). I rode around last night on an old pair of Times Xc's with a nasty spindle squeek but had no problem jumping off lips and rocks, stayed fully engaged thru all manuevers. Best regards to all

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.