Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, and haven't been in the scene for about 12 years. I had never heard of Ibex before entering this site, but with all the good things that I keep hearing about them, I have starting looking at them.

I'm getting back into riding, and looking for a XC bike. I have been looking at Trek, Specialized, IronHorse, and Motobecane. I am a little partial to Specialized because I've owned a couple in the past, but I'm not stuck on any one brand.

I have seen the Astra Comp X7, and it seems to fit all my needs, but then again, so do all the others. I'm a bit leary of buying a bike that is only available online. What if it doesn't fit me properly? Can I return it? What does a normal tune up for a FS bike cost today? What if I have a problem right after I buy it?

I have lots of questions. If I buy online, I don't want to be duped. Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
You're gonna find tons of help here, including from the company itself. It seems they are a no-nonsense company and prefer to go and speak about the strength of their products before slamming others. They also have an insanely loyal fanbase here and their info seems to be pretty good and very reduced with the exact info people need, rather than techno-babbly.

I personally know little about the bikes, but their fanbase is a pretty respectable bunch.

·
Registered
739 Posts
What if it doesn't fit me properly? Can I return it? <yes, I actually went to the lbs to try models that had similar geometries, this seemed to work very well. Most manufactures, including ibex post the geometry online. Contact IBEX, they are good at recommending the right size? BTW, how tall are you?

Sales & Pre-Purchase Info:
Ph: 770-667-8545
Fax: 770-667-8960
Sales Email:
[email protected]

from http://www.ibexbikes.com/FAQ.html

Q: What if I don't like the bike I ordered?

A: IBEX Bicycles offers a 30-day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If you decide to return your purchase please contact us for a Return Authorization number and return shipping instructions. Item must be "post-marked" or return shipment otherwise physically initiated within 30-days of purchase date. Purchase price is fully refundable in accordance with Satisfaction Guarantee terms (see link for details).

Note: you are out the shipping costs.

What does a normal tune up for a FS bike cost today?
Depends on what they tune up(20-40), although, I recommend you learn to do it yourself. Park Tool website has lots of good info and there is a book called Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance which is pretty decent for $25. I personally like park's site a bit better, but, I do not have wireless so I find the book is easier to take with me. -oh look for the 4th edition.

I've been learning myself, at first it is a bit of a pain, but gets easier all the time. The bike comes pretty much assembled, and putting it together from the box is rather easy. If you can install a faucet or build shelves or change your own oil, I am sure you can do the assembly out of the box... Actually now that I think about it, I am sure my girlfriend could do it, and she has never done any of those ...

http://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Mountain-Bike-Maintenance-Third/dp/1884737994

What if I have a problem right after I buy it?
Call Ibex, I though I had an issue, and they were willing to make it right ASAP! But it turned out everything was fine. They are a good company and I recommend them to all my friends and coworkers.

the ASTA Comp X7 is a pretty darn FS good bike for 1k.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Glad to see you stopped by

Like I said in the other forum, you'll get good answers here. In addition to what txjohng posted, and what you will read in the threads here, I would give serious consideration to calling the toll free number on the Ibex web site. Chances are the guy who picks up the phone will be the owner, Jack. My guess is that if you have any concerns about buying online, the quality of Ibex bikes, or how warranty or satisfaction issues are handled, you'll have most of those issues addressed to your satisfaction upon hanging up the phone.

I think JerkChicken gave a pretty fair summary of Ibex bikes and the "Zealots" like myself who own Ibex products and support them via the forums. Stick around and see for yourself.

Bob

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
keep hearing about ibex??? there's a reason for that... :)
A normal FS tune up??? $0.... fix it yourself... hehe. Most of it will be pretty basic like cleaning your bike and greasing the pivots... As for fit or any problems, give Jack a call and he'll make sure you're taken cared off...

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
BadBoyRipper,

>>Getting duped is a major concern anytime your ordering on-line, I totally understand your dilemma..When I ordered my 1st bike from IBEX I was sceptical to say the least..From the time I ordered till when it arrived my worries were at an all time high..Upon arrival that all changed, the bike was everything the site and Jack said it would be..Well needless to say I'm sold on the product, customer service and Jack (owner of IBEX)..:thumbsup:

>>:ihih:>>>Jake

BTW, I now have two bikes from IBEX and putting some serious thought into a 3rd :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is what I did...

I picked out the bikes at the price point I was interested in and made a Pugh Matrix to compare them. I scored each component against a baseline bike. In my case the baseline bike was the cannondale rush 600. In my case the Asta Pro got the top score.

Note that I have included some items of personal preference such as paint colors in my evaluation.

See the attached Pugh Matrix.

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
acr140 said:
I picked out the bikes at the price point I was interested in and made a Pugh Matrix to compare them. I scored each component against a baseline bike. In my case the baseline bike was the cannondale rush 600. In my case the Asta Pro got the top score.

Note that I have included some items of personal preference such as paint colors in my evaluation.

See the attached Pugh Matrix.
Nice, but I did notice something.

you gave ibex -1 for warranty for frame, but

Bicycle Warranty Info

IBEX bicycles frames are warranted to be free from manufacturer defects for the life of the frame to the original owner subject to terms and conditions found in our official warranty statement at Warranty - Terms and Conditions. We cannot guarantee exact model, size or color in the event that a frame replacement is required.

anyway, maybe cannondale ensures the EXACT frame?

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
txjohng said:

Bicycle Warranty Info

IBEX bicycles frames are warranted to be free from manufacturer defects for the life of the frame to the original owner subject to terms and conditions found in our official warranty statement at Warranty - Terms and Conditions. We cannot guarantee exact model, size or color in the event that a frame replacement is required.

The IBEX frame warranty statement means that we do not stock and store every year-model of every frame. If you have a frame issue that merits replacement we will supply the closest frame that is available. For example, if you buy a 2007 Asta and come up with a problem 5-years down the road that requires frame replacement we would replace with the closest thing either then in-production or still in-stock. That might mean a 2010 Asta frame if that's the closest year-model stillo avialable in the Asta at that time... or that might mean a 2112 "xyz" of the same caliber as the Asta if that particular model is no longer in our line-up and no frames remain on-hand. I think you'll find the same to be true of Cannondale or any other brand. We simply cannot predict what year-model, size, style or color might require replacing at some unknown distant time in the future. Frame problems are very rare. On average we might run into one or two or three a year out of several thousnd bikes sold. So, it would be silly for us to lay-in long-term stock of... say... 200 different frame styles, sizes and colors for every model year we've ever made. That would overwhelm our warehouse in no time. And then, what if we have two or three claims on the the same model/size/color? Should we then make it 400 or 600 or even more extra frames per model-year to cover those 2 or 3 possible replacements?

Thanks,
Jack A.
IBEX Bicycles

·
Registered
58 Posts
I Agree

Bicycle Warranty Info

Yes, I agree this item should be a zero. I think at the time I was putting this together wasn't sure of the IBEX warranty policy, or the good customer service.

I am very happy with my Asta !

·
Registered
739 Posts
BadBoyRipper said:
Wow, thanks for the pics John. Bike looks great. And thanks for all the replies. I have noticed that you get quite a lot for the price.

Now, what model should I buy???
what can you spend?

1k ...get the asta comp x7
1400 get the asta expert x9

i was toggling between the two, and got the x9, thought the extra money was worth it in the component upgrades, but if your budget is 1100 ...get the asta x7...

either way both are NICE ....all i know is that the x9 looks way better in person ....

·
Registered
739 Posts
ibexbikes said:
The IBEX frame warranty statement means that we do not stock and store every year-model of every frame. If you have a frame issue that merits replacement we will supply the closest frame that is available. For example, if you buy a 2007 Asta and come up with a problem 5-years down the road that requires frame replacement we would replace with the closest thing either then in-production or still in-stock. That might mean a 2010 Asta frame if that's the closest year-model stillo avialable in the Asta at that time... or that might mean a 2112 "xyz" of the same caliber as the Asta if that particular model is no longer in our line-up and no frames remain on-hand. I think you'll find the same to be true of Cannondale or any other brand. We simply cannot predict what year-model, size, style or color might require replacing at some unknown distant time in the future. Frame problems are very rare. On average we might run into one or two or three a year out of several thousnd bikes sold. So, it would be silly for us to lay-in long-term stock of... say... 200 different frame styles, sizes and colors for every model year we've ever made. That would overwhelm our warehouse in no time. And then, what if we have two or three claims on the the same model/size/color? Should we then make it 400 or 600 or even more extra frames per model-year to cover those 2 or 3 possible replacements?

Thanks,
Jack A.
IBEX Bicycles
makes sense to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Asta X9 Expert instead of X7 for comparison as well.

Looking at the spreadsheet with the $1,500 pricepoint, the X9 would get some extra points for front remote lockout and rear lockout (easy flick lever on the shock) as well.

--
Bill

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
txjohng said:
what can you spend?

1k ...get the asta comp x7
1400 get the asta expert x9
I was thinking somewhere in the 1200 range. When I started looking it seemed that spending 1200 10 years ago is like spending 2000 today. However, I still was planning on sticking to that 1200 mark. The Comp X7 is probably more bike than I can handle since it has been so long since I've ridden. How does the Astra Race stack up?

It seems that a Trek with similar specs is around the 2K range. Ibex is looking better and better.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
ibexbikes said:

Thanks,
Jack A.
IBEX Bicycles
This is industry standard. Most manufacturers will only keep a few dozen (at most) replacement frames on hand, including prototypes. Once they're gone, they're gone. After that, the manufacturer should offer the next closest frame, in which case Ibex is offering it. While it sometimes sucks to get a frame not exactly like yours, in most cases it's got better technology backing it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
BadBoyRipper said:
I was thinking somewhere in the 1200 range. When I started looking it seemed that spending 1200 10 years ago is like spending 2000 today. However, I still was planning on sticking to that 1200 mark. The Comp X7 is probably more bike than I can handle since it has been so long since I've ridden. How does the Astra Race stack up?

It seems that a Trek with similar specs is around the 2K range. Ibex is looking better and better.
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-RCE-Details.html

there ya are, ibex asta race ...1230 ...

LX\XT mix .... I personally like Sram x7 over my LX\XT mix that I have on my other bike(IMO). But I imagine the shimano lx hydros are better than bb7s and I really like that pearl white.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.