Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I thought my max HR was 182, and trained with that. Then I decided to do a VO2 max test on a treadmill, and my HR got up to 189. Then, Monday I am on the road, and some old lady screams "Get the hell off the road!" at me, and I chase her down to a red light and tell her what's what, and when I get home and check the HR data logger it says I hit 193 in the chase! Should I recalculate my training zones whenever I find that my max HR has seemed to increase?

BTW, thanks old lady for the training motivation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
I let the experts give more advice (like SprocketJockey 9) but max heart rate is not the tool to base your training zones on. You want to base your training on your threshold i.e. what you can sustain for a long time while using only aerobic energy.

Max heartrate for my can vary by sport (higher for running and highest in cyclo-cross) but my aerobic threshold is very consistent, thus a better gauge for setting training zones.
 

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
Joined
·
4,659 Posts
Zipp0 said:
So, I thought my max HR was 182, and trained with that. Then I decided to do a VO2 max test on a treadmill, and my HR got up to 189. Then, Monday I am on the road, and some old lady screams "Get the hell off the road!" at me, and I chase her down to a red light and tell her what's what, and when I get home and check the HR data logger it says I hit 193 in the chase! Should I recalculate my training zones whenever I find that my max HR has seemed to increase?

BTW, thanks old lady for the training motivation.
Establishing HR zones, training methodically for several months and then finding out the zones weren't perfectly accurate is STILL going to make you extremely fit.

IMO, counting backwards from your Max can be good enough solution for a first year of training, but ideally you would know your Lactate Threshold and base your zones on that number. Did you get an LT number from your VO2 Max test?

JMH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
max HR does not really matter and is obviously very difficult to find out accurately (as you just illustrated). you don't race at your MAX, you race around your LT.

hydration, fatigue, and obviously adrenaline all effect HR greatly. it changes from day to day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JMH said:
Did you get an LT number from your VO2 Max test?

JMH
No. The test was just an estimate.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/treadmill.htm

I guess I should do a LT test....... I think it is around 170, as my average HR for a 25 mile road ride at a moderately fast pace with some big climbs is 168, including a couple stops for traffic, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
791 Posts
Zipp0 said:
No. The test was just an estimate.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/treadmill.htm

I guess I should do a LT test....... I think it is around 170, as my average HR for a 25 mile road ride at a moderately fast pace with some big climbs is 168, including a couple stops for traffic, etc.
If that's the case, I'll bet it's well over 170. LT should be time trial speed (as fast as you can ride for 30 minutes). Any stops for traffic, tight turns, etc will throw you off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,226 Posts
Zipp0 said:
So, do a 20K TT and my average HR is my LT? Or I guess I could ride the trainer a like a TT for 30 minutes and use that? (since riding outside sucks right now)
Field Test info
Recommend a 20 minute all-out effort; then take your result and multiply by 95% to get an equivalent of your 1 hour LT.
 

·
Waiting for Godot
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
i've said it before.......you can only find your true "max" heart rate once. when you pass it.


you will only find your highest recorded heart rate.

agreed that the number is not as important as LT number. use that LT number to calculate another 10% to 20% as your max. if you ever get up there in training it will be for a short time and you willl feel it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
Go as hard as you can in an uphill until you feel nauseous and vomit, start seeing black spots, and fall off the bike.Only then will you have found your MHR.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top