Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the same wheel set for 4 season now. Lately, I'm breaking spokes on my rear wheel way too often. The rims are straight and true with no flat spots and the hubs are still solid. Will simply replacing all the spokes solve this issue? I'm assuming it will. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
is it possible that you dinged several spokes? i had a similar run last spring and was told that i likely dinged several spokes and that over time they will break one at a time... have a branch go in? derailleur into wheel?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Where are they "breaking" at? the j-bend, at the threads, midde? Could be just fatigue from uneven tension or too light of wheelset for you and your type of riding finally catching up to you. Take it to your local wheel guy, hopefully he will ask the right questions.

·
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where are they "breaking" at? the j-bend, at the threads, midde? Could be just fatigue from uneven tension or too light of wheelset for you and your type of riding finally catching up to you. Take it to your local wheel guy, hopefully he will ask the right questions.
They are breaking at the J bend near the hub. I'm chalking it up to wear and tear. Spokes must get weaker after so much use. I'm going to a good wheel guy this afternoon, I hope he can help me out without breaking the bank.

I broke two spokes about a month ago after some hard trail riding and broke two more last week after the same type of riding. Spoke all broke at the J bend.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yes.
And the likely points of failure are any of the nipple holes. The spoke holes are probably bedded now and won't be ideal for a rebuild. besides which, each of the spoke failures led to a sudden stress on the adjacent spokes and spoke holes. So the rim has already experienced some hardship.
Less chance if they're eyeletted but still.

Remember:
Fix it nice
or fix it twice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.