Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
29erInTexas said:
Well not cranking real hard but was cranking. I would think you could crank on it and shift gears at the same time.
If you put force on the pedals while shifting, it's like shifting a car without using the clutch. Removes a little metal each time you do it.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
are you using Shimano chains? if so do you have a good chain tool, not some tiny multi tool chain tool but a good shop quality chain tool? Shimano chains shift great but are finicky with their pin system, you NEED to use a new pin everytime you install a shimano chain, if yo push it to far in or not far enough in they will snap, you can buy a Sram chain and use their powerlink, or buy SRam powerlink and use it on your shimano cain

·
Registered
356 Posts
ALSO! are you keepin the chain as straight as possible? you dont want to be TOP/BIG cog front and BOTTOM/SMALL cog back.....you are just stretchin the chain that way, with it being diagonally across the bike.......you can find the same or very simular gear mid range.....

Sorry if this sounds obvious and silly but it is common....

and also someone correct me i got the cogs wrong or explain it better if needed.....:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Biking Brazilian said:
Full-suspension? (I am guessing SJ 29er.) What gear combo, if known, were you on when it broke?

If you bottomed out (on a FS) in the highest gear and your chain was too short, it might be a chain-breaking situation..
No sure what gear more like going from 6th or 7th to 1st or 2nd. And I just have the forks.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
G4VNJ said:
ALSO! are you keepin the chain as straight as possible? you dont want to be TOP/BIG cog front and BOTTOM/SMALL cog back.....you are just stretchin the chain that way, with it being diagonally across the bike.......you can find the same or very simular gear mid range.....

Sorry if this sounds obvious and silly but it is common....

and also someone correct me i got the cogs wrong or explain it better if needed.....:)
sorry man, ya did
big up front to small out back is perfectly fine - it's just your highest gear combo.
Now, if you had Big upfront and Big out back (OR small small), that's just a bastard gear-combo. something easier on the drive-line and approximate (sometimes spot on) can be found w/ middle-middle .
(sorry for correctin' ya - ;) you were right about cross chaining tho - It stresses the plates on the pins)

·
Registered
356 Posts
highdelll said:
sorry man, ya did
big up front to small out back is perfectly fine - it's just your highest gear combo.
Now, if you had Big upfront and Big out back (OR small small), that's just a bastard gear-combo. something easier on the drive-line and approximate (sometimes spot on) can be found w/ middle-middle .
(sorry for correctin' ya - ;) you were right about cross chaining tho - It stresses the plates on the pins)
now you have explained it correctly i can see it in my head....why didnt i get that !? haha...thanks.....:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.