Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Fatbikes. Both have 100mm rims.

On the first one there are 1.5" holes in the rims and I am running Devist8r tires with Forte 2.5 tubes. I have had no issues at all with this setup.

On the second bike there are triangle holes, Vee Rubber V8s, and the same forte 2.5 tubes. However on this bike, I go thru tubes like mad! 2 just today. They are getting these huge 8" long blowouts. At first I though the rim strip failed and the tube was coming thru the holes. But thats not the case. Maybe the tire is slipping off the rim?

I run between 10-12 psi, never more than 15.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Perhaps it's a bad run of tubes; are they failing on the seams? If the tyre slips this usually results in the valve pulling away from the tube.

I've also had blow outs from carrying the bike on a rear rack too close to the exhaust.

Tim

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is tubes slang ?
are we at a rest stop ?
Lol. Nice! I need a new screen name, this one was from when I had a supercharged Volvo.

There aren't any start parts of the rim poking thru. My only thought is that the tire isn't 100% seated right and it's slipping off? Or maybe the tube is too stretched since it's a 2.5 tube. I hope the surly tube helps. At $17 a piece I want them to last!

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
SO STOP USING THEM.

So glad I got to say that first. I run Bud and Lou on Clownshoes. Homemade rimstrips, split tube tubeless... No flats ever.

Get 24" Q Tubes.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
When I run tubes on the fat bike I inflate them out of the tire first. Get them stretched out, 3-4" wide and 36" dia. Then deflate them and put them in the tire. Now once they're pumped up they fill the cavity easily.

You using baby powder to keep them from sticking?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,340 Posts
I've had the same tubes now for about a year, including several races. There's something seriously wrong with your tires/rims or possibly tire pressure. Tire pressure has to be firmer on firmer (not snow) surfaces in the summer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i just blew a 2" rip on a seam opposite the stem using 2.5-2.7 qtube- while the bike was sitting in my trunk w/ tire hanging out--tire was a 120 tpi endomorph pumped up to upper 20s on marge lites and today was hot 85--ive been testing the higher pressure w/ these tires for several days but today was hotter--i noticed the rim tape bulging further out at higher pressure and i wonder if it ripped where a hole allowed it to stretch too far--anyway decided to release most of the air out of my other tire and will run lower pressures to test out the durability of smaller tubes...i want to test tubes/tires before getting too far from home--by shaving almost 1/2 a lb from each tire i have an expensive no fix tube for each flat...sigh--i hope that the heat+high pressure+smaller tube all contributed to the problem and i can lessen the rotating weight w/o a blowout--i didn't have any talcum powder so I've been using corn starch over the years which stays dry and keeps the tube from chafing

·
Anchorage, AK
658 Posts
I blew out my rim tape yesterday using Qtubes. Pumped them up to 30 psi to set the bead, then backed it down to 20 psi for mixed trail/road riding. It was my fault though, I didn't back up the reflective rim strip(non 3M Identi-tape) with at least a layer of Gorilla tape. the tube was showing thru the hole cut outs on the Rolling Darryls and it still held up!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts