Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, short back story… I work out of town four days a week (225 miles from home) and have a crappy studio apartment there. I take my bike with me so at every opportunity I can get a ride in between work and bed time, helps distract me from being away from my wife and family. And there is some great riding minutes from my apartment.

So anyway, last night work sucked and I just wanted to ride, is was cold, dark and rainy but I went out for some road riding anyway… my new bike got filthy. So tonight I figured I’d wipe off the worst of the grit and muck, if for no other reason than keeping the trunk of my car cleaner on the trip home (no access to outside water). Well it started out simple enough, but by the end of it I was holding the frame and wheels under the shower.

So the question is, what is the proper emotion at this point… pride or shame.

Gary

·
Help I've Fallen
132 Posts
No shame in keeping your bike clean it's new:thumbsup: . Now if you started sleeping with it that's a different story:nono:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've cleaned many bike parts in my shower (never a whole bike though). Just last week I took off tires that has sealant in them and washed them out then cleaned the shower. Worked great. Just don't tell people who aren't into biking, they will judge you.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Pride:thumbsup:

Necessity is, after all, the mother of invention. I live in a small apartment too with no access to water outside and I've washed all kinds of things in the shower, including bike parts, though never a whole bike.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I do it all the time in the winter. You can't leave grit or salt on the bike.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
dwick37 said:
No shame in keeping your bike clean it's new:thumbsup: . Now if you started sleeping with it that's a different story:nono:
Actually sleeping with it is ok (not that I do). Maybe even caressing it (I've done that). Getting turned on wondering what you could do with a stripped down frame and a tube of Park grease? :arf: Now that's going over the line!

OP - I'd be proud for loving your bike and taking good care of it.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,186 Posts
Dunno how happy your hubs will be over time if your shower blasts directly on them. I have two 5 gal buckets and after a gnarly winter ride, I fill them up with warm water and pour it around the wheels, on most of the fork and the frame. Then I dry it off and lube the chain and possibly other spots if needed.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I considered stripping down and getting in with the bike but the relationship is new and it seem that might be moving too fast. :D

As to concerns of damage, my shower is a soft spray and I was careful to keep water out of the seat tube and no more that a quick rinse of the hubs with them in the vertical position. I had wiped the whole bike down prior, the shower was mostly a quick rinse to flush out the places where that rag did reach well.

Gary

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
I've washed my bike in my shower; but my shower back home is giant and is absolutely perfect for washing a bike; tough ugly tiles and has an entrance direct from the garage. The intent of this shower seems to have been for someone to come in from outside completely filthy without ever setting foot indoors.

I can't imagine trying that where I am now, with my 1-person shower ... don't even think it would fit.

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
All_talk said:
So the question is, what is the proper emotion at this point… pride or shame.

Gary
If I had to choose, I would say pride. But I see no real reason to be proud of it, it´s just perfectly OK, no more.What other choice you have, anyway??But, like others said, don´t tell non-bikers, they´ll never understand.
I´ve done it too, and I´ll do it again.But not in the shower,I put it in the bath tub.Warm water works very good to melt crud away and you keep all the mess in a confined space. The only problem is that bathtubs are too short sometimes and can´t just leave the bike horizontal, just by a little bit, but enough to make it unconfortable. But the new appartment where we´ve moved to has a huge bathtub...it looks perfect. I´ll try it this weekend!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.