Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
You want a freehub (used with a cassette), not a freewheel.

I have issues with some cassettes (ruined three XT cassettes) and prefer some cheaper cassettes that have proven more durable for me. My cassette of choice is the Shimano CS-M580. If I wanted/needed a cassette with an aluminum spider (for use on rear hubs that use an aluminum freehub body), I use a SRAM PG-990, which have been using for the past year with success.

As for the hub, I am always a concerned about rear hubs for clydes and since you even have cassette issues, I have to wonder if your freehub is not long for this world. The downside is that hubs that are known to have at least pretty good durability for clydes are pricey and pricier.

mtnbiker 72 found some Transition rear hubs on sale for $40 (regularly $99) and says they have been reported to have decent durability. There are two different models on sale, but both are 36h, not 32h, so that depends on whether or not your Double Tracks are also 36h.

Another rear hub I have heard good things about is the Shimano Saint. The M810 is available in 32h or 36h, 10mm axle or 12mm axle (yours likely would use the 110mm axle) and will work with a standard rear derailleur (unlike some earlier Saint rear bubs). They are made for centerlock rotors, so you would need to use centerlock rotors or use an adapter. I saw an FH-M810 in the 10mm axle 32h configuration on ebay for $65.

For more popular choices for durable rear hubs, the most budget friendly one that comes to mind is the Hope Pro II that can be found for less than $200 and then maybe the DT-Swiss 350 (the cheapest DT Swiss hub with the start ratchet freehub) that can be found for less than $250. Those both come standard with aluminum freehub bodies, but I know the Hope Pro II can be had with a stainless steel freehub body and it will cost another $75 or so for that option.

There you go, clear as mud, simple as pie ;~)

·
S-Mart's Top of the Line
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
honestly both the joytech and the delta have held up great so far. I've never had a complaint about either one, and they've held up great to the abuse. Cassettes, like I said, I go through because of my particular technique.

So I would want something like this, correct?

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=91011

Thanks for all your help too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For more popular choices for durable rear hubs, the most budget friendly one that comes to mind is the Hope Pro II that can be found for less than $200 and then maybe the DT-Swiss 350 (the cheapest DT Swiss hub with the start ratchet freehub) that can be found for less than $250. Those both come standard with aluminum freehub bodies, but I know the Hope Pro II can be had with a stainless steel freehub body and it will cost another $75 or so for that option.
I would vouch for the Hope Pro II option with the stainless steel free-hub.

BUT I would also suggest you get the Saint compatible version of the Hope Pro II which is essentially a 10mm hollow axled 135 width hub. Use this with any 10 mm solid steel bolt on through-axle. Avoid quick release. The solid steel axle keeps everything tight and prevents Hope's aluminum hub axle from flexing under stress. It also removes the need for double rows of bearings that you see in some hubs which are essentially there to compensate for excessive axle flexing in the first place. The weight penalty is less than 100g. The bolt through axle I use is the Fire Eye rear 10mm. Info from :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39200

or any other 10mm bolt through axle.

With regards rims - I would also go with 36 spokes if possible and you should be looking at 700g + rims : for example

http://www.alexrims.com/product_detail.asp?btn=3&cat=3&id=191

or Halo SAS :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12317

ride safe...

P.S. the double track rims are also very good

P.P.S. I f you want to stay with a hardtail the strongest jump/ freeride bike I know is the Chromag Stylus :

http://www.chromagbikes.com/frames/stylus

·
S-Mart's Top of the Line
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Alright. I guess it got missed. I already ordered a wheel...it's the 854g Doubletrack in a 32h welded design. I'll be using the cannondale delta hub that I already have, since it works fine and holds up great to my abuse. I just need to know what I'm looking for if I need to replace the cassette. I've never done it. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Doubletrack rim.

I'm unfamiliar with "Cannondale Delta" hubs - to be honest, I didn't even know that Cannondale made hubs.

It might be made by somebody else...

Either way it appears you are looking for an 8 speed cassette - for 8 speed gearing. Unfortunately, since 9 speed systems are now the most common the only 8 speed cassettes left on the market are low priced, mid to entry level models. I have no idea which is the strongest amongst them. The one you mention would work.

Best of luck

·
S-Mart's Top of the Line
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Bummer.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I reckon I'll give that one a try and see how it holds up.

·
S-Mart's Top of the Line
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
According to UPS, wheel will be here Friday. I've already talked to the LBS and have an appt for wheel truing after I build it. (I don't have a stand yet) They are cool enough to let me watch too though, so I can see how to do it. Can't wait to be back on the spec'd....this single speed crap is kicking my ass, and the $100 beach cruiser isn't fairing too well.

·
S-Mart's Top of the Line
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
package was sitting on my steps this morning....friggin dwarfs my mach1. Now I gotta figure out spokes. Thanks for the help guys.

·
local jackass
931 Posts
Im 6'8 285 and ride aggressive i was constantly bending rims so I picked up a set of Mavic DeeTracks and I love them been on them for over a year now and havent even needed to get them trued. I highly recommend them!

·
S-Mart's Top of the Line
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
We'll see. Right now I'm going through the trials and tribulations of trying to figure out how to build a wheel. I have the general process down, but I can't find measurements on the cannondale delta hub, so I have to measure the thing myself.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts