Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
No-Brakes Cougar
1,143 Posts
Looks like it would make it a lot easier to avoid overlap while pedaling in a tight turn, a problem that I frequently encounter with front fenders. The downside is that you might get some splashing on your lower pant leg, since the fender doesn't run far back behind the wheel, but at least you'll avoid getting a rooster tail in your face at higher speeds. I also like the fact that it easily detaches.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary the No-Trash Cougar said:
Looks like it would make it a lot easier to avoid overlap while pedaling in a tight turn, a problem that I frequently encounter with front fenders. The downside is that you might get some splashing on your lower pant leg, since the fender doesn't run far back behind the wheel, but at least you'll avoid getting a rooster tail in your face at higher speeds. I also like the fact that it easily detaches.
Hmmm, maybe it isn't so bad then. I have rain pants and a cheap rain poncho, so if I get wet it isn't the end of the world

Thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've been using one for 3-4 years. I get some splash on my feet, but if the weather's really wet (and cold) I'm usually wearing rain pants and gore-tex boots. Definitely better than no fender at all. It's easy to install, easy to remove. Doesn't get in the way if you need to do anything to the front wheel, brakes, etc. Mine started to get a little loose, but on a suggestion I saw elsewhere in these forums I used a couple cable ties to keep it secure.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pursuiter said:
If you have a front suspension fork, it's pretty typical. If you have a rigid front fork, I'd go with the Planet Bike full fenders.
Cool. I got an old 80mm Marz Atom up front.

Got new tires today, fender up front, rain jacket and a better brighter headlamp. Im ready to roll!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Front fender

I use the same one. The only problem is it interferes with my water bottle top as I have to mount the holder on the bottom tube. Also cut-out a cm in order to have the brake cable run its coarse. Over all works great! Back wheel has a RX beam rack set up with MTX Trunk bag from Topeak. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Holy huge picture, Batman!

Anyway...you will get splash on your feet when you go through puddles with most any fender unless you have a wide mudflap that nearly drags on the ground. The fenders like you showed work pretty well for keeping the majority of the stuff off you but your down tube will get completely hosed. Your chain and bottom bracket are also getting the grime off the front wheel. Also, when you turn the front wheel, what would normally be hitting the down tube is now hitting your leg. There are these sort of rectangular pieces that basically zip-tie to your down tube to give you additional protection when using the partial length suspension fenders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.