Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally don't read MBA, I'm more of a Dirt Rag guy (pitt native.) Anyway... I pick up the latest issue for some good laughs and saw the 50 reasons to buy a new bike. I really hope ALL of these are jokes. And that the whole article is a joke. Some of the things about the bike being old or out dated are just junk. Or all the junk about not being a DH, or need a DH bike to ride at a park with a shuttle, or the singlespeed crap....

Sorry, but thats just JUNK. Reiterates why I don't regularly read this mag.

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
MBA's been pretty awful for a few years now. Shame, used to be a great mag, I got letters published in there a couple of times way back when. But yeah, I saw that article, and wondered where exactly they fell off the bus.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,184 Posts
MBA needs to get rid of RC and Jimmy Mac. Then perhaps it will be a bit better. I to was disgusted at that article.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Kona0197 said:
Jimmy Mac.
This simply can't be a actual mans name. I'm sorry, but it sounds like a sports bar, as in, "hey, we're meeting at Jimmy Mac's for a few pitchers and wings, so we can watch the Browns get clobbered...." Any adult male who's still using a Y at the end of their name needs to start wearing long pants, and stop having his mom make his PB+J's :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Any adult male who's still using a Y at the end of their name needs to start wearing long pants, and stop having his mom make his PB+J's :rolleyes: :p
You need to get out more. I have several friends who still use a "Y" at the end of their names. They have families and are productive members of society.

That being said, I am not a Jimmy Mac fan either. Cunningham has slipped too. Actually, it seems that many of the big mags have slipped. MBA is a corporate mouthpiece; Dirt Rag is now so skinny, it's not worth the money; and if you don't live in Squamish, why read Bike.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Pisgah said:
You need to get out more.
Nah, as I think about it, I know several folks with names that end in Y, but they'd sound dumb without it, my buddy And (y) for example :D

Sorry, no offense to your pals. I just think Bill should be Bill, Jim, Jim, Tom, Tom etc. They sound like little kids, or something else I can't quite put my finger on.

Just my opinion, I'll buy the first round, should we ever meet ;)

·
Registered
432 Posts
i have a bud named Tory, but i don't think he'd mind being called Tor. he has however, threatened violence if i ever spell his name Tori.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Nah, as I think about it, I know several folks with names that end in Y, but they'd sound dumb without it, my buddy And (y) for example :D

Sorry, no offense to your pals. I just think Bill should be Bill, Jim, Jim, Tom, Tom etc. They sound like little kids, or something else I can't quite put my finger on.

Just my opinion, I'll buy the first round, should we ever meet ;)
Lighten up, MendonCycleSmithy :p

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
fos'l said:
Rushed through the "50" article, since I was perusing the rag at the library (Barnes $ Noble). Seems like a few individuals could be infused with a sense of humor.
Oh, I got a chuckle out of a good bit of that list. Seemed more streched than past humor, though. It was more the rest of the mag that was depressing. Used to be when something new came out, like 9 speed, they'd test it, follow racers, test again, and more often than not advise against an upgrade for various reasons. Same with air shocks/forks. Disc brakes. All tested thoroughly, all troubles documented, well done stuff. And they listened to the readers, took the time to pound on products other mags didn't. They don't do that anymore, it's all corporate sponsored, toss it on a test bike, ride it for a few miles, call it good, no followups, no long-term tests, nothing. Just "its new, buy it! We got paid to say that!" stuff. The humor from this list is a weak band-aid on a product that has no substance anymore, and to a point, no relevance. Used to be catered to the 97% of riders, with some small content thrown in for hardcore racers. Now it's the other way around, than tiny percentage of riders gets all the reporting, the rest of the world has to look elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.