Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was behind a couple of riders today going down the trail, about fifty feet behind them I could hear the pain of an unlubed chain grinding without mercy to an agonizing death. Why o why do people kill chains in this horrible manner, or at least, why did I have to listen to this sick sound, so I took another route. The unlubed chain sound is kinda like fingernails on a chalkboard. I guess in this case the sqeaky wheel did not get the grease (oil). DOH.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Ouch, I know that pain.

I'm pretty good about keeping my drivetrain maintained, but prior to a long ride last fall I washed my bike, scrubbed the chain, and promptly forgot to lube it.

It was well behaved for the first half of the ride. It wasn't until a bit after the mid-point that it began to protest, at first softly but soon with a fervor of the chalkboard analogy you describe.

Unfortunately I couldn't take another route to get away from the din.

So for nearly 20 miles I endured, eardrums bloodied.

My solution against future such absent-mindedness? This little addition to my tool pouch:

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
I bet it lasts longer than yours!

Homer Simpson said:
I was behind a couple of riders today going down the trail, about fifty feet behind them I could hear the pain of an unlubed chain grinding without mercy to an agonizing death. Why o why do people kill chains in this horrible manner, or at least, why did I have to listen to this sick sound, so I took another route. The unlubed chain sound is kinda like fingernails on a chalkboard. I guess in this case the sqeaky wheel did not get the grease (oil). DOH.
They would know enough to oil their chain if they rode more than once a year. At the rate they ride their drivetrain will last 50 years!

I oil mine every ride and it only lasts 3 - 6 months.

I feel your pain! :)

- ray

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oldness and brokedness...

I do that almost every ride... The lube that is put on at the beggening of a ride never keeps things quiet for the entire ride anymore. There really is a limit to how long lube will keep an old ass drivetrain squeak free. If I can find some money this summer, I hope to replace everything... Until then, I must live with rides that get a bit squeaky after 5 hours...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.