Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m recently back on the bike after a long break. I never raced but have logged in some good miles over the years. I don’t have a formal training routine to speak of.

I have about 150 miles in the saddle total for the past 3 weeks. I live in some hills (LA) and my usual loop has about 1,800 feet of ascent in total over a 9 mile loop or so.

My rides have been:

1. 2x per week - ride the loop hard, which has a lot of climbing and not much rest (all of the downhill is in a 2 mile section); treat it like interval training. This is only about a 9 mile loop but very climb-centric and I’m usually pretty spent after this.

2. 1-3x per week Zone 2 appx 130 BPS HR recovery rides in the 1-2 hour range, trying to log miles mostly recovering/base building.

Any thoughts for how a relative newb should string 4 riding days together? My gut says do 4 2 hour rides keeping the HR down to avoid overtraining but that seems like a bit of a waste. 3 days of base building and intervals on the last day also sounds plausible, but I don’t really know.

I have about 3 hours to ride any given day over the next 4 days, and could go longer if desired.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Without knowing your current fitness level, I say just go easy the first day (25-30 miles) and adjust each day to make sure you get 4 days in.

Is this some sort of challenge for yourself to see if you can ride 4 days in a row?

Hydrate afterwards and consume a bit of protein within 30 minutes or so of returning home. This will help speed recovery and get your legs ready for the following days..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rydbyk said:
Without knowing your current fitness level, I say just go easy the first day (25-30 miles) and adjust each day to make sure you get 4 days in.

Is this some sort of challenge for yourself to see if you can ride 4 days in a row?

Hydrate afterwards and consume a bit of protein within 30 minutes or so of returning home. This will help speed recovery and get your legs ready for the following days..
Thanks for the reply.

My fitness level is probably in the untrained class, at best.

Most of the training I have done/read about is the one day on one day off kind of thing, or close to it.

I wouldn't call it a challenge necessarily, though I can't say I have ever ridden 4 days in a row though I've been athletic all my life, not a couch rider.

My main concern is since I'm in average at best shape and don't ride back to back to back to back, I don't want to over train to the point where I'm doing more bad than good on the fourth day.

Last weekend I did three in a row... distance-intervals-distance and the third day I noticed a pretty sizeable increase in HR with avg to below avg power. Reading the forums, it sounds like that was in the overtrained catagory but not really sure.

Perhaps a more specific question would be should I just try to ride for mileage all 4 days or is it ok to go hard a day or two in there without any risk of doing more bad than good?

My goal is to try to race this June, so this isn't just a one weekend fling.

Thanks again!

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Seems like overthinking to me. Just go ride.

How do you usually feel the day after going hard? If you usually feel good, start by going hard, and take it from there. If you usually feel beat up, maybe doing one or two days a little easier and then really hitting it and seeing how you feel is better.

Regardless, play it by ear. Don't ride if you feel really beat up, or just do a quickie road ride and don't work too hard.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Day 1
Ride hard

Day 2
Recovery (light ride)

Day 3
Ride hard

Day 4
Recovery (light ride)

You are concerned about overtraining and shouldn't be. Overtraining concerns are for those who train 5+ days every week (very common!) to get ready for the race season.

You are overthinking this. Try what I listed above and adjust on days 3 and 4 if you wish..

Have fun. The rest of us will envy your "free" time to ride:thumbsup:

If you are looking for a real training regimine to prep you for your race in June, there are a ton of available sources online. Do the research. It is better to do it yourself and educate yourself on the topic as opposed to having a bunch of us members telling you how to train.

·
Registered
252 Posts
string_wise said:
My main concern is since I'm in average at best shape and don't ride back to back to back to back, I don't want to over train to the point where I'm doing more bad than good on the fourth day.
You won't over train with just 4 days of riding. Your legs probably won't feel as good as they did on day 4 as they did the first couple of days, but that's not over training.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Just go ride, also food food food and more food, got to keep those muscles fed, if you try to lose weight at the same time you'll just burn out.

The start of the 2nd, 3rd and especially 4th day will be hard just got to power through it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.