Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I SOLD my 26"er Redline Monocog! True, I was riding my roadie a lot more. True, we are trying to strip things down to only what we need. But having only a roadie, I now find...intolerably BORE-RING! We have a LOT of long hills here in Santa Fe, and some of 'em I just couldn't pull on the Redline (32/18). But, if I only am going to have ONE bike, I don't want it to be a carbon forked road bike. A LOT of people around here use geared MTB's as their utility bikes. Ah....what can I do? Should I try the Monocog 29'er? 32/20, bigger wheels...steel. Anyone using one of these to commute, or as a do it all bike? Bear in mind, I have limited funds, and will probably have to sell my Specialized Roubaix to finance this thing, so it's gotta be maximally versatile. I know I should be looking at hybrids, or geared MTB's, or even cyclocross. But there's something about a SS....especially a steel one.

·
RYD W/ FLO
335 Posts
Surly KarateMonkey is a pretty versatile machine if you like to tinker. Can be anything you want it to be. Geared, Single, Cross, Tourer, MTB, Roadie, the options are endless. Run Mine 33-20 single 29 MTB for the summer then as a 44-20 fendered singlespeed commuter in the winter time.

Like I said, if you have the parts laying around, the Monkey can be anything you want. You can also find a used frame/fork on ebay or craigslist for under $350

that would be my pick for a do everything bike.

·
Chronic 1st-timer
2,432 Posts
karatemonkey said:
Surly KarateMonkey is a pretty versatile machine if you like to tinker. Can be anything you want it to be. Geared, Single, Cross, Tourer, MTB, Roadie, the options are endless. Run Mine 33-20 single 29 MTB for the summer then as a 44-20 fendered singlespeed commuter in the winter time.

Like I said, if you have the parts laying around, the Monkey can be anything you want. You can also find a used frame/fork on ebay or craigslist for under $350

+ 1

·
Registered
350 Posts
karatemonkey said:

Fo' Sho'

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like 3 for the Surly! Unfortunately, my hours have been cut, so any bike changin' will have to be put on hold, 'til I see where I am. Thanks for the input, good ideas all.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
I love my MonoCog 29er as a commuter/do it all bike...

I did buy another wheelset to do the quickchange thing, though.

Recently I've sold the second wheelset and bought an entirely different bike for trail duty. My MonoCog stays on slicks now, and is a excellent street bike.

32/13 gearing, rode 32/14 for the past few months. I rode 32/18 offroad.
Schwalbe Big Apples
WTB Speed V Pro Gel saddle
Origin-8 carbon riser bar
Ritchey Scuzzy Logic Comp headset

·
AZ translpant
7 Posts
SS Cross-check set-up monster cross style has served me well on everything from single track to bike paths. 38/18 churning 700X42 worked pretty well for me on most everything but the steepest of hills. I'm now riding mostly flat bike paths and just recently changed to 44/16 and 38 sized slicks.

Not exactly a granny gear style, technical kinda bike for grueling climbs but it does everything else............

·
US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
2,033 Posts
madcap said:
I love my MonoCog 29er as a commuter/do it all bike...

I did buy another wheelset to do the quickchange thing, though.

Recently I've sold the second wheelset and bought an entirely different bike for trail duty. My MonoCog stays on slicks now, and is a excellent street bike.

32/13 gearing, rode 32/14 for the past few months. I rode 32/18 offroad.
Schwalbe Big Apples
WTB Speed V Pro Gel saddle
Origin-8 carbon riser bar
Ritchey Scuzzy Logic Comp headset
i saw yer bike in the other thread (was that the post yer SS thread?),sweet:thumbsup: .what's the goin rate on a m'cog 29er-non-flight model?i dig the utilarianism at the budget prices...till i moved "back in the woods",where commutin by bike,for the most part,just isn't feasible,i used my m'cog 26er ('04-ish i think,had it a coupla years or so) dang near everything...general ridin,urban,singletrack,commutin,etc......fun times!:thumbsup: :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts