Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And it is a bit...errr hard. One of the guys that has raced it for the last several years took my husband and I around the course today. It is already marked (wasn't last weekend) with arrows. I read *rt*'s report from last year and that is a long uphill climb to start and end with.
Today it took us about an hour and fifteen minutes (the nice guy that was showing us the course was much faster of course but he waited for us). We did just do 18 miles up at Dupont yesterday so hopefully my legs will do better next week.
All I can say, is helmets off to you ladies that have to do two or three laps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Brownie,

Yup, that climb is brutal, and knowing that you have to start and finish with it makes it even worse.

But don't worry. I've found that typically my pre-ride seems worse than the actual race. During the race, your adrenaline will be pumping and you'll be going much faster. You almost won't notice the parts that tripped you up during the pre-ride. You'll be focused on either 1. Catching the girl in front of you or 2. Not letting the one behind you catch up.

Case-in-point: The Tsali race yesterday was WAY better than my pre-ride on Saturday. There was one place where I stopped to rest during the pre-ride (didn't want to overdo it!). It seemed like we had been riding forever, and I asked my boyfriend how much weight would a heart-lung machine add to my bike. We weren't even halfway through the course, and I thought I was dying.

Then, during the race on Sunday I had been focused so much on catching up with the lead group that when I got to the same spot where I stopped the day before I was feeling good, and it didn't seem like I'd been on the trail nearly as long. Granted, the pre-ride took almost 3 hours (after stopping for breaks, talking to others on the trail, fixing a flat, bonking, etc.). My actual race time was just under 2 hours (my goal). :D

My point is, don't fret if the pre-ride was tough. You'll be surprised how much you push yourself during the race without even realizing it.

(You joining us on Saturday?)

Jen

p.s., 1:15 is a great time for a pre-ride. I'll bet you end up with about a 1-hour lap time. (toward the top half of last year's beginner women's times).

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I do plan on joining the ride Saturday

I posted on the DD forum to try to find out what time the ride will actually start at Isaqueena (I figured the 8:30 was Charlotte departure time). I am hoping to work on a spot a spun out on (mud puddle, followed by a turn + climb = back tire spinning) but I can do that before everyone else arrives.
The trail wasn't extremely technical but just lots and lots of climbing. I will happily hang toward the back of the group on Saturday so I don't burn any strength out of my legs for Sunday.
I had a fun time riding with two of the Dirt Divas last Friday at Betty.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
3 laps & 4 times up that hill...

ow! ow! ow!

but there's no way i can feel any worse than i did this past weekend at Tsali. :rolleyes: :eek: it's a good thing they cut that last 5 mile finishing loop off our race or i never would have finished. that is one 30+ mile killer race.

see you this weekend!

rt

·
Registered
150 Posts
8:30 is departure time. That probably means we'll get there about 11:00 or so (you know how groups of women can be sometimes....). There will be more posted this week with the specifics. I'll hang toward the back, too. I'm guessing there will be several racers in the bunch that won't want to push too hard. Also, as with all of our rides, if someone wants to work on a section, we generally stop and work on it, talking about the best line to take, etc. No big whoop. Don't worry about doing it ahead of time. It's a pretty laid back group.

The biggest thing to watch out for at Clemson is the series of waterbars that hit you at a blind turn. I went through one section too fast where one of the waterbars snuck up on me and I just about hugged a tree. Another Diva got a compound fracture in her elbow there last year due to the waterbars.

Beatty's a fun little trail, huh? Who'd you ride with, Gail and....? Gail is nice. She's beaten me a few times in the local races. :rolleyes:

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I can give someone my cell and they could call me when you leave Charlotte?

mtbjen said:
8:30 is departure time. That probably means we'll get there about 11:00 or so (you know how groups of women can be sometimes....). There will be more posted this week with the specifics. I'll hang toward the back, too. I'm guessing there will be several racers in the bunch that won't want to push too hard. Also, as with all of our rides, if someone wants to work on a section, we generally stop and work on it, talking about the best line to take, etc. No big whoop. Don't worry about doing it ahead of time. It's a pretty laid back group.

The biggest thing to watch out for at Clemson is the series of waterbars that hit you at a blind turn. I went through one section too fast where one of the waterbars snuck up on me and I just about hugged a tree. Another Diva got a compound fracture in her elbow there last year due to the waterbars.

Beatty's a fun little trail, huh? Who'd you ride with, Gail and....? Gail is nice. She's beaten me a few times in the local races. :rolleyes:
I rode with Gail and Dawn (sp?). They were both really nice and yes, Gail is fast!
Beatty is a cool trail to have right there in town. I have to drive an hour to get to anything beside Paris Mountain. There were some fun log crossings, fast downhill and a few other technical tricks there to play on. Of course, I did not try to ride on top of that log but if you had it to practice on for a few days that would be a blast.
As many times as I have been to Isaqueena, I had not been on most of that loop. There are supposed to be over 100 miles of trails there ~ unfortunately none of them are marked. I remember the waterbar area from Sunday and it would be easy to fly through there and get caught off guard.

rt, I can not imagine doing that hill four times. like if I got to break, breathe and have a few snacks in between laps I may be able to make alive. upstateRider is the one that showed us the course and he told us about a guy throwing up at the finish line in a previous race.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
brownieinSC said:
rt, I can not imagine doing that hill four times. like if I got to break, breathe and have a few snacks in between laps I may be able to make alive. upstateRider is the one that showed us the course and he told us about a guy throwing up at the finish line in a previous race.
looking back at my race report from last year it doesn't look that horrible.....but it probably was! :D

i can relate to the guy that yaked at the top of that climb. i seriously considered throwing up at the top of one of the climbs on my 2nd lap in yesterday's race. :eek:

rt - planning to keep my cookies next weekend :D

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am also a newbie

*rt* said:
looking back at my race report from last year it doesn't look that horrible.....but it probably was! :D

i can relate to the guy that yaked at the top of that climb. i seriously considered throwing up at the top of one of the climbs on my 2nd lap in yesterday's race. :eek:

rt - planning to keep my cookies next weekend :D
So I am sure the uphills seem more like mountains to me. Last year I couldn't make it up the hills without stopping to breathe. Even though I can this year I am slow so they seem eternal. I know I was down to 3.5 mph the second time of doing that hill last weekend.
My goal is to get through the race without stopping (or wrecking :D ) in decent time.
Hopefully next year I can cut five or ten minutes off the lap.

I am sure you will kick arse rt

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am getting excited too!

It isn't supposed to rain for two or three days before the race either so hopefully all the mud will mostly dry.
I woke up last Sunday night after doing the course around 3 in the morning thinking about the hills climbs and few tricky parts. I could be a wreck by the time the race gets here!

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Speaking of water

do they have scary port-a-potties set up or something? There aren't any bathrooms there and I imagine a quiet spot in the woods will be hard to find.
I am going to put 30 ounces or so in my camelbak since I only have one lap. That should be ample, right? I would like to do bottles but don't think I can easily reach down and get it without either dropping it or wrecking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.