Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmm.. when my friend asked if I want to try his dirt jumper last week, I realized something that had alluded my notice ... I basically cant stand and pedal at all at this point..

when I rode in my 20s I had no problems with a standing sprint.. but I was the better part of 100lbs lighter then... :madman:'

at first I though it was just the horrible fit of the medium size dirt jumper ..then I tried it on my XL Trance.. and I basically can't do it.. I have arthritis in my knees I'm not sure if that is the main issue?

I have noticed on a climb if I weight the front wheel so I'm a bit diagonal?? (leaning forward) I can stand and pedal.. but on flat ground I basically can not?

am I insane or has anyone else who is umm bigger / older (I'll be 50 in a few months) have this issue?

I stand 6'3" and weight 265lbs and unfortunately have arthritis in basically most joints ankles, knees, wrists , back neck, elbows.. you get the idea..

·
Registered
309 Posts
hmm.. when my friend asked if I want to try his dirt jumper last week, I realized something that had alluded my notice ... I basically cant stand and pedal at all at this point..

when I rode in my 20s I had no problems with a standing sprint.. but I was the better part of 100lbs lighter then... :madman:'

at first I though it was just the horrible fit of the medium size dirt jumper ..then I tried it on my XL Trance.. and I basically can't do it.. I have arthritis in my knees I'm not sure if that is the main issue?

I have noticed on a climb if I weight the front wheel so I'm a bit diagonal?? (leaning forward) I can stand and pedal.. but on flat ground I basically can not?

am I insane or has anyone else who is umm bigger / older (I'll be 50 in a few months) have this issue?

I stand 6'3" and weight 265lbs and unfortunately have arthritis in basically most joints ankles, knees, wrists , back neck, elbows.. you get the idea..
I am 54, 6'-1/2" and at my heaviest was 293. At 50 I got down to 233; now I'm 250. I've had several spinal injections over the years and I have arthritis in my hips, knees, ankles etc. I find I have to keep moving or it gets worse. If I get sedentary at all, it takes months to get back to where I was. I have trouble standing and pedaling sometimes but I've been weightlifting at a gym the last few years and that has helped a lot. I also stretch daily. Everyone is different so I don't know what your answer is- but for me it's keep moving & down the Motrin when needed.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,786 Posts
Standing and pedaling on flat ground can be a little awkward, the fact that your OK with standing on a climb is encouraging. Leaning forward is a natural position to do a standing climb in. It also engages a lot more muscle groups when you stand up so it's not surprising that it doesn't aggravate your arthritis.

Of course everyones anatomy and injuries/symptoms are different, but as always these joint issues are diminished as your fitness improves and body weight goes down. You just need more practice. ;)

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Think it's just a matter of gearing ;-)

Us big boys need something substantial to push against.

Then again, your knees might just be poked =(

'Born to ride!'

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you all for the replies so far... I'm 100% fine standing on pedals / attack position i just basically feel really unsettled / unable on a standing sprint on flat....

I guess it could be worse as I have no desire to be the "fastest" anymore ....but it is just weird how something that required not thought before 10 years ago .. standing sprint seems neigh impossible now....

this is one of the myriad reasons I wish e-bikes acceptance on on mtb trails would be accepted in the USA.... I have the skill set to ride **most trails but the arthritis /age issues are catching up to me in various areas.

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
I recently started standing instead of the sit & spin routine. Seated I just felt too much knee aggravation if I had to push the gears. I run tall riser bars and don’t have any wrist issues. I rode smaller (less reach) bike w/ flat bars and it was very awkward trying to ride standing.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't love the handlebar on this bike .. I'm thinking of getting a Deity Highside 50mm riser handle bar.. perhaps that will help..

I messed about with it a bit today.. maybe if weight comes down it will get easier.. felt hella wonky still today ...

even with the XL frame the reach isn't especially long on this trance...

Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I love standing and pedalling. But i have to upshift two or three gears from my siting cadence. Im assuming your doing that. Also i adjust my brake angles etc so that standing works best. This is the most technical position imo

my cz38 bar works great

·
Registered
20 Posts
thank you all for the replies so far... I'm 100% fine standing on pedals / attack position i just basically feel really unsettled / unable on a standing sprint on flat....

this is one of the myriad reasons I wish e-bikes acceptance on on mtb trails would be accepted in the USA.... .
I'm 210 6'-2" and heard the same thing about ebikes so when I got my pivot shuttle I road with new group leaving the motor off for most of the ride so no one could complain but it was too brutal for me as I'm 62 plus no one asked or really cared that I was on an ebike. If you want the ultimate ride especially with arthritis issues an ebike will assist you in more ways and more rides and therefore better conditioning as you'll be eager beaver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.