Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...fixed gear 27" road wheel for a beater that i am attempting to build. unfortunately, none of the BSGs near me know anything about ss or fixed. also unfortunately, i know next to nothing about fixies, and i don't know where to find this part. the bike is an 80s roadie that i'm fixing and fixing, but with a i-painted-this-thing-with-a-rattle-can-that-i-took-from-my-dad's budget. help, ideas, where i can look?

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
fish man said:
...fixed gear 27" road wheel for a beater that i am attempting to build. unfortunately, none of the BSGs near me know anything about ss or fixed. also unfortunately, i know next to nothing about fixies, and i don't know where to find this part. the bike is an 80s roadie that i'm fixing and fixing, but with a i-painted-this-thing-with-a-rattle-can-that-i-took-from-my-dad's budget. help, ideas, where i can look?
trash bin... behind a bike shop

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fish man said:
well, fish, i think you should actually use that casette hub in your basement, you know the one that you just put new bearings in, and just call up all the bike shops and find out which one will give you tha best price for slapping on some spokes and a rim, because i know you can't build a wheel. it won't be fixed, but you can not coast and just pretend.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fish man said:
well, fish, i think you should actually use that casette hub in your basement, you know the one that you just put new bearings in, and just call up all the bike shops and find out which one will give you tha best price for slapping on some spokes and a rim, because i know you can't build a wheel. it won't be fixed, but you can not coast and just pretend.
yeah, i'll probably do that.... unless someone has one they will give me for free.
why didn't i think of that sooner.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DISCLAIMER: you have my permission to ignore this entire thread.

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
You might just have what you need.

Thats assuming you have the original rear wheel.If it`s from the 80`s just have a bike shop break loose the freewheel,get a ss freewheel or track cog thread it on,space your chainring to get the chainline fairly straight and go.Cheap,simple beater.
Jeff

·
Registered
236 Posts
if you have a decent relationship with your LBS, they will probably have something serviceable that you can either have or they will give you for $5ish. it won't be a fixed gear wheel, and it will require respacing to line up the chainline and redishing to get the rim centered again, but all costs added up, it will probably be cheaper than getting a hub relaced. Or take the learning approach, and try to respace and redish the wheel yourself and learn something in the process. That's how I learned to true wheels, by taking wheels that were f'd up and worth very little, and figuring that I really couldn't make things any worse. Unless you're pretty unlucky, the worst you can do to the rims trying to redish them yourself can be undone by the LBS guy for about the same price as asking them to redish the wheel to begin with.

YO MAMA

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
I might be able to help

I have a 27" wheelset from an 82' schwinn that I just converted to 700c wheels. the wheels and hubs are steel, and heavy as a pig, but if you can pay shipping, they are yours free. the rear wheel has a thread on cassette right now, so you could just take it off, respace and redish, and thread on a fixed cog and lockring. PM me if you are interested.

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
fixxer

fish,

Check the surly website. They have a thing that's supposed to convery a freehub to a fixed hub. and stop talking to yourself. But your wheel is probably a freewheel... You can convert to 700c if you want to though...

-M

·
Registered
152 Posts
i know what to do!

i was in the same situation about a month and a half ago.
take the old wheel that you have/found. pull the casette body
off, take it to your local welder and have him weld the bearings
together. Perfect! mine hasnt slipped yet!

good luck and keep us posted

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.