Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my Raleigh M50 died today. The drivetrain essentially fell off, and i walked to the car. After a talk with my family, weve decided its a better investment to buy a new bike instead of fixing the Raleigh again.
Ive basically been bike shopping for 6 months, knowing that the Raleigh would have to give out soon. I was looking at coilers, hecklers, and the like over the winter. Then i realized im broke and looked at the SC Titan and Azonic Steelhead. Now im just confused, I really don't know what would be best for me or even what i want. I woud say my budget is somewhere below 2000, but i would prefer to spend less than that. I will not buy online. I will travel any reasonable distance to pick up the bike.
My riding consists mainly of trails, with medium sized drops (I doubt i'll ever go more than 5 feet) and lots of roots. This will be my only bike, and i do a good amount of asphalt riding. I do some occasional small urban stuff, and I will not need to DJ on this. I weigh 155 and am 5'7. A good fit is necesary, so no bikes where the smallest size is 17". I am definetly making a few trips to Mt. Snow this year, and this will be ridden.
I am not partial or impartial to any brands, and I will test ride pretty much anything i can find. Looks aren't a huge factor, but I don't want to ride something ugly. So no KHS AM2000. I do not want a sub 30 pound bike, and I cannot ride a bike above 40 ish. 35 pounds is an ideal weight.

I know there a a lot of bikes that will work for me, since i don't care if its a hardtail or a full suspension, but you could help out by just throwing a few names out there, and i can do some research on my own. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Coiler

Get a Coiler.Kona makes some sweet bikes.I got a Stinky right now,and it`s held up fine(10-15 ft. drops),but I have a lot of big huck components on it.For the riding you do,a stock Coiler will do just fine.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Heckler

Sorry about your bike. I love my Heckler. It does everything you're looking for! OK, the rider may have something to do with it...

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
I switched my HT for a fully, just because it's better for my knees and back, I have more control in rough situations and it forgives my mistakes better than a HT.

Like SaSQuATCH said the Kona Coiler is a good option.
It's an all-round bike, +/- 35pounds, super strong, has 6" travel and it's less than 2000$.
I've had a 2002 Stinky which is basicalliy a Coiler and it was a great bike for all-round riding.

The Coiler :

Other "less than 2000$" bikes worth checking :

- Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho

- Norco Fluid 2.0

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the suggestions so far, anyone else got ideas?

So far my short list consists of the coiler, the heckler (the one that comes complete with a flick), and the Gemini 900 (on sale at my shop for 1999). I was also looking at the Raleigh Ram XT3500 and 2500, they look pretty good for the price. Anyone else ridden either?

I have decided that I do not want a DC fork. Trails around here need good turning radius, and im not doing hardcore freeride anyway.

·
member: kv dirt daddies
382 Posts
Gemini 900

I have an 04 Gemini 900. I ride it on XC and downhill trails. I love it. The Sherman fork is awsome. I have not ridden the other bikes on your list but I think you won't be disappointed with the Gemini.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jfsh said:
I have an 04 Gemini 900. I ride it on XC and downhill trails. I love it. The Sherman fork is awsome. I have not ridden the other bikes on your list but I think you won't be disappointed with the Gemini.
Whats the approxmate weight of a Gemini 900?

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
ajw8899 said:
Well my Raleigh M50 died today. The drivetrain essentially fell off, and i walked to the car. After a talk with my family, weve decided its a better investment to buy a new bike instead of fixing the Raleigh again.
Ive basically been bike shopping for 6 months, knowing that the Raleigh would have to give out soon. I was looking at coilers, hecklers, and the like over the winter. Then i realized im broke and looked at the SC Titan and Azonic Steelhead. Now im just confused, I really don't know what would be best for me or even what i want. I woud say my budget is somewhere below 2000, but i would prefer to spend less than that. I will not buy online. I will travel any reasonable distance to pick up the bike.
My riding consists mainly of trails, with medium sized drops (I doubt i'll ever go more than 5 feet) and lots of roots. This will be my only bike, and i do a good amount of asphalt riding. I do some occasional small urban stuff, and I will not need to DJ on this. I weigh 155 and am 5'7. A good fit is necesary, so no bikes where the smallest size is 17". I am definetly making a few trips to Mt. Snow this year, and this will be ridden.
I am not partial or impartial to any brands, and I will test ride pretty much anything i can find. Looks aren't a huge factor, but I don't want to ride something ugly. So no KHS AM2000. I do not want a sub 30 pound bike, and I cannot ride a bike above 40 ish. 35 pounds is an ideal weight.

I know there a a lot of bikes that will work for me, since i don't care if its a hardtail or a full suspension, but you could help out by just throwing a few names out there, and i can do some research on my own. I appreciate your help.
i'm 55 and bike about 400 km/wk, year round, trail on weekend, asphalt weekdays. Have found that my off-road bikes are a bit much for daily use, especially in the city where they tend to have a parked life of abut 10 minutes, what works best for me is to keep the hardtails and FS bikes up north, use a used hybrid (schwinn sierra) in town, a used hybrid (trek 730) up north and 2 winter bikes (old Wal-Mart type mountain bikes that will last 1 winter in the snow & salt) picked up at lawn sales or police auctions for a about C$20 each...total cost for asphalt bikes is under C$400 (US$300), and am able to save the bigger bikes for the good stuff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.