Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have GT Factory singlespeed hubs on WTB Speeddisc 29er Rims with who knows what spokes (all factory on the GT Peace 9r).

Have seen great deal on Surly Singlespeed hubs with WTB Laserdisc 29er Trail rims with unknown spokes and was wondering if they would be better (assume so) and also lighter?

Just trying to lose some weight and get better wheels but seriously not loaded with money.

The Surly / WTB is about $300 for the pair which is closer to my budget than some blinged out wheels.

Any help or advice appreciated :)

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Without knowing...

the exact components used in the new wheel set, and without knowing the exact weight of your current wheel set it is impossible to even guess as to whether the Surly/WTB set would be lighter. So a little home work on your part will be necessary. Wheel sets are generally weight "naked". In other words, no tires mounted, freewheels, cassettes, or cogs removed, no rim strips, qr's, etc. So pull all that stuff off of your current wheels and weigh them. If you don't have a scale, most shops will, and will weigh them for you if you ask. Write the weights down and save.

From there look up the exact components that your new proposed wheel set is made of and find the weights and add em up. Many manufacturers give claimed weights on their websites. Or you can go with the claimed weight of the company selling the wheels as many list weights for the set on their sites. If not then contact the seller and ask.

Like I said, there's no way to even guess. I would assume that the Surly/WTB set would be lighter, as OEM wheels are usually built with cheaper (heavier) components. But you never know.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
467 Posts
I would look at some Notubes ZTR 355 29er rims / laced with dt competition spokes to XT hubs. This would cut back on roatating weight significnantly and is tubeless ready. About $305 handbuilt through Universal Cycles.

The hubs are a bit on the heavy side but bombproof and will get the rotating weight down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.