Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,155 Posts
If you only want your step-in pedal/shoe combo to work half as well as it could (maybe less than half), then get the multi-release cleats. They're totally unpredictable and undependable compared to single-release cleats but this is not the first time the single- vs multi-release cleat discussion has come up within these forums and in those threads some folks defend the multi-release cleat.
If you're just riding around the neighborhood, I imagine multi-release cleats are good enough.
Personally I use and appreciate step-in pedals for their intended purpose: to keep my feet firmly attached to the bike except during a crash. That's what I want and that's what I get with single-release cleats. But I ride quite aggressively.
Aside: Personally I dial my pedal release tension all the way toward the tight side of things. I don't ever want to disengage while airborne.

You want shoes with the 2-hole (SPD) sole.
=sParty
Another great option to running TIME ATAC pedals. If you want an easier release simply flip the cleats around. Or you can order cleats that have been shaved which is the route I’ve always gone. In and out as smooth as butter without ever having accidental releases.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,109 Posts
You know this place has gone off the rails when you can't even accuse yourself of 'cheating' without people getting whiney.

I suggest hardening up, and not caring what others think. Don't say you don't.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,380 Posts
I really get a kick out of the failed logic behind the cries of “cheating” claims.

Yes, riding flats does make you develop certain skills, but how does that make clipless “cheating”?

Riding HT or rigid makes you a smoother riding and better able to pick lines.... so then I guess FS is “cheating”?

Single speed teaches you a lot about pedaling technique and the value of momentum... I guess gears are “cheating”?

In other news, pnumatic nail guns are cheating because they don’t make you learn how to hammer. Someone needs to go tell almost every construction crew how badly they are cheating.

·
Out spokin'
11,204 Posts
I really get a kick out of the failed logic behind the “cheating” claims.

Yes, riding flats does make you decelop certain skills, but how does that make clipless “cheating”?

Riding HT or rigid makes you a smoother riding and better able to pick lines.... so then I guess FS is “cheating”?

Single speed teaches you a lot about pedaling technique and the value of momentum... I guess gears are “cheating”?

In other news, pnumatic nail guns are cheating because they don’t make you learn how to hammer. Someone needs to go tell almost every construction crew how badly they are cheating.
I wish I could come up with the name of the MTBR member whose sig reads something to the effect of:
Making a thing more challenging doesn't make it better, it just makes it... harder.
Something like that anyway. Haven't seen it in some time.
=sParty

·
Registered
Mint condition '06 Cannondale Prophet 600
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I really get a kick out of the failed logic behind the cries of “cheating” claims.

Yes, riding flats does make you develop certain skills, but how does that make clipless “cheating”?

Agreed

·
36,155 Posts
I wish I could come up with the name of the MTBR member whose sig reads something to the effect of:
Making a thing more challenging doesn't make it better, it just makes it... harder.
Something like that anyway. Haven't seen it in some time.
=sParty
So I take it you don’t take kindly to mine? :)

·
Out spokin'
11,204 Posts
So I take it you don’t take kindly to mine? :)
I consider your sig tongue-in-cheek, DJ.
Anyway the context of this discussion is bike &/or component choices, not trail features.
As for trail features, making these more challenging IS making them better. :)
That's why I choose to interpret your sig as tongue-in-cheek -- in this way we can remain friends. (y)
=sParty

·
Registered
8,925 Posts

There's still a large and clueless contingent out there that loves to give beginners advice like "you need to start on a hardtail cuz FS is cheating and makes you a lazy rider with no skillz."

·
36,155 Posts
I consider your sig tongue-in-cheek, DJ.
Anyway the context of this discussion is bike &/or component choices, not trail features.
As for trail features, making these more challenging IS making them better. :)
That's why I choose to interpret your sig as tongue-in-cheek -- in this way we can remain friends. (y)
=sParty
Well you would be correct on that. However I can’t take full credit for my signature. It was a quote from MilesLong a year or so ago. When this site had the big format change recently for some reason his quoted name in that quote didn’t make the trip. :( Still like it so I’m keeping it.

Reactions: Sparticus
61 - 73 of 73 Posts