Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,207 Posts
Seriously?
Yes, if the ONLY reason you run clipless is because a hardtail bounces around a bit compared to full squish.... it is not a good reason IMO.

I have used clipless pedals for 20 years now and I do so for the following reasons:
  1. Power on the upstroke - this is impossible to do without being connected to the pedal.
  2. Keeps my feet attached to the pedals in all weather.
  3. Able to pickup and move my bike off the trail just using my foot.
  4. I just love the feeling of being connected to the bike.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,363 Posts
Yes, if the ONLY reason you run clipless is because a hardtail bounces around a bit compared to full squish.... it is not a good reason IMO.

I have used clipless pedals for 20 years now and I do so for the following reasons:
  1. Power on the upstroke - this is impossible to do without being connected to the pedal.
  2. Keeps my feet attached to the pedals in all weather.
  3. Able to pickup and move my bike off the trail just using my foot.
  4. I just love the feeling of being connected to the bike.
Only on an internet bike forum will someone tell you that you like something for the wrong reason.

His reason is not even that different from your Acceptable Reason #2.

Pure class :rolleyes:

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,207 Posts
Only on an internet bike forum will someone tell you that you like something for the wrong reason.

His reason is not even that different from your Accepted Reason #2.

Pure class :rolleyes:
I didn't tell you it was wrong, I just said it is not a good reason. It is still a reason. You could run Clipless because you like the way they feel when you wear sandals ... not a wrong reason, but not a very good one.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Thanks all.
WHat about cleats?
I found my pedals. They are Deore PD-M545s. They seem mechanically similar to 454s that shimano lists on its website, but with metal cages instead of plastic.
According to teh actual Shimano manual, (link) you can use single direction release or multiple direction release. It says single release mode cleats are better for jumping because they stay on your feet better. However, if I used the other ones, and I rode them like I ride my flats and didnt just rely on the clip in, would I be safe? What are the real pros and cons of either of these designs? Being someone who has rode flats all my life because I love dirt jumps, I always skipped over whatever I saw relating to clips because it didn't apply to me. So, I know nothing about this. Sorry, and thanks for all your help!

As for shoes, I can't spend too much since I would pretty much need new ones once a year. I was thinking that if they somewhat resembled normal shoes, I could buy them so I could also use them for flats and just everyday walking. That would kind of justify another pair of money-sucking shoes.
Amazon.com: SHIMANO CT500 Everyday Cycling Shoe: Sports & Outdoors
Are these decent?
I've been using clipless exclusively for around 25 years. However, that's just my experience/preference and I wouldn't apply that to anyone else. To try out clipless, you'll need to buy some shoes for it which is an extra expense. If you discover that you don't like the system, then that may end up being wasted money. I also think that shoes are a very personal decision since different brands fit people differently. For example, Shimano shoes are probably great, but they don't fit my particular feet very well. I would definitely try on any shoes first before you buy them if possible.

Clipless may or may not work out for you, but it will cost a pair of shoes to find out.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,207 Posts
Clipless may or may not work out for you, but it will cost a pair of shoes to find out.
Some riding shoes have a "tear out" section to reveal the cleat placement that could probably be glued back in if the decided to go back to flats and wanted the extra tread.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Hmmm....I've been running SPDs for (25?) years now and I was never aware that there is more than one release option on the cleats. -- popping out when I don't intend to and also getting back in once I've done so has always been the issue.
Multi release cleats are exactly what you want if you hate consistency and like to pop out unexpectedly, usually at the worst times possible. :)

They're probably okay for rail trails though.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,363 Posts
I didn't tell you it was wrong, I just said it is not a good reason. It is still a reason. You could run Clipless because you like the way they feel when you wear sandals ... not a wrong reason, but not a very good one.
So you are not saying he likes it for a wrong reason, you are saying he likes it for a reason that is not good.

Right. Glad you clarified that. That makes it so much less absurd.

·
Registered
988 Posts
You're using clipless pedals for the wrong reason.
:alien:
What IS the reason to use them then? They don’t increase my speed compared to platforms, and I have timed the same trails on both systems countless times. FOR ME, there is no power advantage to clipless.

On my full suspension bike, my feet stay glued to the pedals (flats with 510 shoes). Largely, they stay glued on the hardtail too but not as well in extreme chatter. Hence, I run clipless on my hardtail most of the time.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Wondering how it's cheating to use clipless? When I started mountain biking pinned pedals and grippy soled shoes didn't exist , toe straps and bear trap pedals. Clipless was a better alternative. I c do ride flats along with clipless. Whatever pedal works for you.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,106 Posts
Bunny hops, total cheat, J hops same. All things I used to do in flats, on a BMX bike with bear traps without issue.

·
Registered
Mint condition '06 Cannondale Prophet 600
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Bunny hops, total cheat, J hops same. All things I used to do in flats, on a BMX bike with bear traps without issue.
I agree, but it isn't really "cheating." When you hop with your clips, you're pulling the bike up to you. In the long run, you'll suck more. With flats, you learn the better way and actually hop, versus just pulling the bike up. I have ridden with clips before, and I hopped higher when I acted like I was on flats. This might not affect you, though, if the maximum hop height you need is only like 6 inches.

Reactions: Curveball

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
I agree, but it isn't really "cheating." When you hop with your clips, you're pulling the bike up to you. In the long run, you'll suck more. With flats, you learn the better way and actually hop, versus just pulling the bike up. I have ridden with clips before, and I hopped higher when I acted like I was on flats. This might not affect you, though, if the maximum hop height you need is only like 6 inches.
Some people can ride both.

Amazing, but true!

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,106 Posts
I can't believe I just read two posts, saying sort of the same thing.. but one seemingly arguing with the first. Oh yes.. I can ;)

Sheesh. And yes, it was the realization that I had become lazy instead of doing things properly.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts