Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
Mint condition '06 Cannondale Prophet 600
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some Shimano mountain/bmx race clipless pedals. What should I do with them? Im not going to ride XC or anything. Should I put them on my trail bike? Would it make jumps worse? Why SHOULD I do that? Should I build up a fixed gear freestyle bike? If so How do you convert a normal bike to fixie?
Thanks for your input!

·
Out spokin'
11,204 Posts
I run SPDs on my FS enduro bike, my hardtail and my road bike. Back in my singlespeeding days, my SS bikes were outfitted with SPDs as well. They're my preference pretty much everywhere.
=sParty

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,266 Posts
I have 5 bikes I ride. 3 of them have couples pedals, the other 2 are cruisers. I don’t like my feet slipping off the pedals when I am doing serious riding.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,379 Posts
I found some Shimano mountain/bmx race clipless pedals. What should I do with them? Im not going to ride XC or anything. Should I put them on my trail bike? Would it make jumps worse? Why SHOULD I do that? Should I build up a fixed gear freestyle bike? If so How do you convert a normal bike to fixie?
Thanks for your input!
Your going to build a bike for the pedals?:confused:

Just try them. You will like them or you won't. You got shoes?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
34,804 Posts
Thanks for your input!
Wut?

What does "XC" have to do with it?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I only have use for clipless pedals on my hardtail, as they help keep my feet on the pedals in the chatter.

They offer no other advantages whatsoever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your input!
Put them on your trail bike and go ride some XC (Cross Country) Trails, why did you buy a trail bike for riding in the city?
Why buy a trail bike if your not going to ride trails, I don't get it. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
I built a HT trail bike, & I've now fitted slicks to it. Blows your mind hey. Do whatever makes you happy.
Me, I'd sell the pedals.
View attachment 1910764 View attachment 1910765
Nice ride, you put slicks on for road which makes sense. It's up to you what you decide to put on for peddles as long your able to ride.
I have an Apollo Aspire 40 mountain bike, I took the knobby tires off then replaced them with a small block tire
I get a pretty damn good speed on the road and I have flat peddles on it as well.

·
Registered
2020 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 1x / 2010 Specialized Hardrock Disc
138 Posts
I have egg beaters on my rockhopper & candys on my hardrock. Wouldn't have it n e other way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have egg beaters on my rockhopper & candys on my hardrock. Wouldn't have it n e other way.
Be careful with the eggbeater peddles, I had them for a year until the spring in the left peddle broke.
I sent them in to have it fixed, once I got them back 3 days later the spring in the right peddle broke
so I took them off and threw them in the garbage they were Crankbrothers Eggbeater's.
I now use Shimano M515 peddles on my trail bike and no problem's with them.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,266 Posts
Be careful with the eggbeater peddles, I had them for a year until the spring in the left peddle broke.
I sent them in to have it fixed, once I got them back 3 days later the spring in the right peddle broke
so I took them off and threw them in the garbage they were Crankbrothers Eggbeater's.
I now use Shimano M515 peddles on my trail bike and no problem's with them.
I have run various versions of crank brothers pedals for 20 years and never had such a problem.

·
Sneaker man
3,346 Posts
I found some Shimano mountain/bmx race clipless pedals. What should I do with them? Im not going to ride XC or anything. Should I put them on my trail bike? Would it make jumps worse? Why SHOULD I do that?
If your not going to ride XC or anything then you dont need pedals...or a any bikes at all!

SPD's arn't sesigned for XC, they are desinged for riding, XC to DH people run SPD (or other varients). Try them, if you like them, keep using them, if you don't, use flats. It simples.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts