Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been thinking about replacing my bike, and originally decided to wait until the spring or early summer. I have a couple of potentials picked out from one LBS in town. The shop has an '07 Giant XTC2 C2 and an '07 Felt RXC Pro. Here's a quick run down of the major components

XTC C2
-Carbon frame
-Full XT drivertrain
-Fox F100RL
-Rim brakes. Not sure of what type.

RXC Pro
-XTR Rear D. Remaining Driver train is XT
-Fox F100RL. Remote lockout (not sure if the XTC has this)
-Juicy 7 Discs

Price is negotiable, but the owner offered the XTC for $1,400 last winter, so we'll go with that and $1,500 for the RXC.
Anyway, my dilemma started yesterday when I walked into the used bike shop. As soon as I walk in, I see a Yeti ARC frame sitting on the counter. Turns out, it's an '09 they're selling on consignment for someone. He's asking $500 firm, which doesn't seem like a bad deal. It has about 400 miles on it, and after a quick lookover, all I noticed was the usual wear & tear. Some cable rub, scratches from a little chain slap, and scratches on the inside of the triangle from the rotor, as a result of taking the rear wheel on and off. Nothing structural, and nothing unsightly.
So, what would be the better deal in your opinion? Wait until the spring for those two bikes, or build up one using a newer, Yeti frame? I know the Yeti build will be more expensive and take time, but I could deal with that. I can always get back my extremely old rigid Spec for a portion of the summer. But is the Yeti worth all the hype? I'm losing my mind trying to decide, and just want some opinions :madman:

·
Registered
876 Posts
I don't know man... Yeti's are pretty, and I'm sure they are top notch, but you are talking the ARC, right? $500 for a used HT frame seems like an expensive way to start a build to me. If you're sold on a HT, and want to try building your own bike up from the ground up, I'd look around. Their are lots of nice HT frames available for less bux. Heck, pricepoint has carbon frames for around that price. Granted, they're not Yeti, but I've got my GF on a Sette frame from pricepoint, in Aluminum, and it's a pretty nice little frame, that one was only $90.

David B.

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
619 Posts
The XTC might be dissed by the bike snobs, but it rides as well as any carbon Orbea. Carbon used to be too stiff and leave you bouncing around on the trail, but the newer carbon technology has produced compliant frames that are far more comfortable than most alu frames.

The Felt rides like a baseball bat and Yeti HTs are over priced, especially that they are now produced cheaply in Taiwan. I know they have a cult following and are held in high regards, but I feel it is just hype and those paint jobs are hideous. IMO of course.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I was trying to figure out. If the Yeti frames were in fact as nice a people made them out to be, or if it was a bunch of hype. I need to know if the frame would indeed be worth the extra money.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Slim83 said:
Go with the xtc, you will not regret it. The weight, ride, and quality is top notch. Plus it is durable. I had a very special friend who drove his into his garage 3 times before it finally broke.:p
Haha, that is special :D . Good to know it's durable. That was my main fear about carbon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.