Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bob Saget Fan
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was about to remove the crappy pedals that came whit my p1 frame because my shins are covered in blood, when something really stupid hapened. So i turn my left pedal clockwise to take it off, but, the inserted helicoil in my husefelts unscrews but not the pedal. I had 2 set of husefelts and wow those cranks sucks. So i unscrew the steel insert, clean all the threads and put some red loctite then torque it back. I wait for the next day but the same thing hapens, its alot harder to unscrew but the pedal wont unscrew from the helicoil..... What can i do to repair that???? The pedals were already on the bike when i got it. I guess ill put my x-drives on my new bike.....

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
From what i've heard this is an issue with some recent Hussefelts like within the last year or so. I've also heard that people that have it happen to them often times get upgraded to Holzfellers from Truvativ warranty or atleast get a big discount.

·
Registered
192 Posts
...I fixed this problem once before...

...I didn't use loctite, I used a metalized epoxy paste to secure the insert into the crank arm. You can use any kind of good epoxy, like JB Weld. I think I used an aluminum based epoxy paste, sometimes called plumbers epoxy.

Mix up the epoxy (work quickly, you only have a few minutes) and place some in the arm and some on the insert. Put it all back together and ensure the insert is bottoming all the way into the crank arm. Leave the paste to harden for at least an hour or so (24 hours for maximum results) then the pedal should come out properly.

A friend of mine did inquire about this with Truvativ. He told them about the epoxy method i used. This is how they responded:

"You can put loctite on the pedal insert and let it sit for a couple hours.
If this does not work contact me back and I will get you new arms."
I am sure that your epoxy remidy is much better though."

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
From what i've heard this is an issue with some recent Hussefelts like within the last year or so. I've also heard that people that have it happen to them often times get upgraded to Holzfellers from Truvativ warranty or atleast get a big discount.
Winner! Tony's right. A post **** (graduated from whore since he now does it for the shear pleasure and not for pay), but right nonetheless. Call TV and they'll hook you up with some Holzfellers fo cheap. I did this a few months back and not only got the cranks for next to nothing but a set of Holzfeller pedals too since they couldn't "unstick" the ones I sent in.

Good luck and Tony, apologies if I insulted you.......NOT! lol!

·
Registered
798 Posts
weird I also have expirenced this... I bought a new bike this season and when I tried removing the stock pedals the insert on one side of the crank arm would come out... I thought about clamping it but I didnt want to ruin the threads or strip it out....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.