Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
If you have to ask...
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my situation. I like the Maestro design, and the geometry is perfect for me. I'm looking to buy a frame and swap over the parts I've already got onto my new frame, so production build isn't an issue- mostly.

I want a do-it-all bike, and I want to know from Reign owners if the bike is just a little too heavy for all-day epic rides. I want to hear from Trance owners whether they occasionally wish they had a little more travel. Also, do any of you race on your Trances?

I'd build the bike as a cross-country ride. Longish stem, flat bars, reasonably light wheels, etc. I'm not going to hit monster gaps or drop huge hucks- that just isn't me. I am going to ride the bike 50, 60, or the occaisional 100 miler at a time, grinding out all-day rides.

I guess what the question boils down to is would I benefit from the longer travel more than I'd suffer from the extra weight?

Thanks for your input.

miles

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
miles said:
Here's my situation. I like the Maestro design, and the geometry is perfect for me. I'm looking to buy a frame and swap over the parts I've already got onto my new frame, so production build isn't an issue- mostly.

I want a do-it-all bike, and I want to know from Reign owners if the bike is just a little too heavy for all-day epic rides. I want to hear from Trance owners whether they occasionally wish they had a little more travel. Also, do any of you race on your Trances?

I'd build the bike as a cross-country ride. Longish stem, flat bars, reasonably light wheels, etc. I'm not going to hit monster gaps or drop huge hucks- that just isn't me. I am going to ride the bike 50, 60, or the occaisional 100 miler at a time, grinding out all-day rides.

I guess what the question boils down to is would I benefit from the longer travel more than I'd suffer from the extra weight?

Thanks for your input.

miles
Well first up have you check the tubing sizes to make sure your old parts will fit? I can list the tube sizes for you. Seatpost 30.9, Seattube 34.9, BB 68-113

From your discription of what you're looking to do with the bike it sounds like a Trance would do you fine - will take 2-3ft drops, which is about what/where you sound like you might be taking it.

Not sure of the frame weight difference between the Trance and Reign, but the geometry is definitely a bit diff - more relaxed angles on the Reign, more stand over. I find my Trance has served me well, I don't hit any big drops/jumps (maybe1-2ft), it pedals real nice, it isn't actually that light (T3 w/ LX and heavier parts- 32lbs roughly) but I only notice this when I actually lift the bike.

Yes I sometimes wish I maybe had a beefier bike (like maybe 6-8" and bigger tubing, gussetted more DH bike) but only occassionally and to be honest my skillz aren't up there yet to fully use a bike like that yet, plus not too much good DH that really requires it here. If you do a lot of XC that requires both flat, downhill and uphill I'd prob say the Trance, if you do mainly flat/DH then the Reign.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I do not race. I ride ~10-15 miles weekday and ~30-40 miles week-end.
I own a Truth and a Reign. I have not ridden the Trance; however, from the geometry of the Trance its purpose is between the Truth and the Reign. In terms of decreasing geometry aggressiveness, it’s the Truth, the Trance then the Reign. I classify the Truth as xc/trailbike, the Trance as trailbike/xc and the Reign as an all-mountain/trailbike.
My Truth is size 16" with 105mm stem weighs 24.7 lbs. I chose the smaller size for the ease of maneuverability. The Truth is a mimble, reasonably fast bike. It ascents and descents well on maintained trails. It requires more attention on "technical terrain". Other than bunny hopping small obstacles, I do not do any big jumps or drops with the Truth. For short fast rides of < 15 miles, the Truth is my bike of choice.
My Reign is size 18" with 90mm stem weighs 29.8 lbs. Despite its heavier weight of more than 5 lbs over the Truth, It rides beautifully and climbs with ease. It is not a fast bike, but it is very comfortable and controllable over more technical terrain, terrain that I avoid with my Truth. I can also do jumps and drops that I would not do with my Truth. For rides of 30 to 40 miles over varied terrain, the Reign is my bike of choice.
From the description of your intended use, I think the Trance is the bike for you but then you can’t go wrong with the Reign either :D. Good luck.

·
hipneck
108 Posts
Trance

You said, cc ride....flat bar.... reasonably light...Trance. The Reign is a do it all mountain/trail bike thats better suited for the things you said you wouldnt do. I test rode a Trance a couple days ago and was very impressed with the rear suspension. When pedaling while seated any bumps 2" or less square edge or rounded could be completely ignored, I just couldnt feel'em. I've been riding pricey fsr bikes for 5 years and the Trance rear suspension just feels better.Plush and efficient. Ride one and the decision will be easy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Trance

I did demo both. I came from hardtail. I was looking for a FS bike to climb and then go down from any hill, in any terrain (live in North East US). Reign feels way too much, too heavy and too soft when compare with Trance. Trance was just perfect for me. Try it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I guess I'm fortunate to have both, and while I have more time on the Trance than the Reign, I still think I can weigh in a little. I just took the Reign out on a trail I've ridden a bunch with the Trance, and while I do like both, I think that the Trance is probably the bike you're looking for. If I had to choose one over the other, I would choose the Trance for sure. I've never really felt like I wanted more travel.
The Reign is just a really tall bike, like HUGE. They really should have made the seattubes shorter (keeping the TT the same though, obviously), in my opinion.
Anyway, they're both great bikes, but I would choose the Trance over the Reign. There's really not too much it can't handle, and I think it'd be a great choice for the all-day rides, especially if you're talking about those epics!
I think my Trance is a hair under 26lbs with a Reba U-Turn on the front, and some pretty nice parts. Haven't weighed the Reign with the pedals on it yet, but without it was right under 29lbs, pretty nice for a bike with 6" of travel. I have a Pike Team Air on that bike.
Hope this helps a little...

BN

·
I live to bike
2,423 Posts
I own a Reign 1 and love it. It isn't stock at all anymore, and weighs in the neighborhood of 32 lbs. It still climbs well and all-day rides are no problem. I got the Reign because I do more than just XC--some freeride and downhill. I've done drops up to 8 feet with it without even bottoming the suspension.

But having read your post, I would recommend the Trance. Doesn't sound like you will need the extra suspension and weight of the Reign from your described riding. The Tance, with a smidge over 4 inches travel, should suit you very well.

·
If you have to ask...
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, here are some local XC trails...

These are some of the trails I ride on a regular basis. Now, I do them on my hardtail SS as well as my Kona Bear (4" travel), but maybe, just maybe, they might be a touch easier on a Reign.

miles

·
Registered
524 Posts
It's a hard choice I know! I want one of them... just don't know which one yet. A point now is that the 2006 Reign 2 (at least in Australia) are being decked out with XT, a RS Revelation Air and Easton EA50 bits. Which is a huge diet over the 05 spec. The other's are getting big upgrades too. Although I'm waiting to test ride one. If anything I'm guessing they'll be around the 29/30 pound mark. Which isn't that much heavier than a Trance 2. I'm still leaning towards the Reign though... The Trance seems fun, but I'm running a Fox Vanilla 125R (125mm) on my hardtail now, and I don't want to go back to 115mm of travel. In reality 15mm of travel is not a lot, but overall I want to push my riding. I'm still going to keep my HT, change the travel down to 100mm and build it up to be a racer. PS checkout the Dual Suspension part of www.phantomcycles.com.au for 06 specs on all the new Giants

·
If you have to ask...
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, ultimately I cheated. I bought the Reign 2 complete, because the frame and fork alone cost more than the built bike. I then swapped off all the parts except the fork for light weight stuff that I had lying around, and foisted the derailleurs, cranks, and wheels of on friends. As odd as it may seem, I'm running an XC racer position, with a long, low stem, flat bars 2" below saddle height, and light tires. The bike is fantastic. It felt like a truck to me before making the position changes, but I am absolutely happy with it now.
Of course, 125 gram carbon handlebars mean I'm not about to freeride with it now, but that was never really my intention. I am learning how to take the stupid line on trails now, though...

The bike climbs so damned well I can't believe it. the Maestro suspension (at least when paired with a stable platform shock) really delivers as promised. I am very pleased with the bike.
By the way, two others in my riding group have bought Reigns- they are both very pleased, too.

miles

·
spinner
186 Posts
Thats great to hear Miles. I'm really happy with my Reign 1 also. Its such a versatile bike and now that I have gotten used to it and made some minor adjustments (stem , seat angle) it's living up to all expectations.

2 weeks ago we did a 35km ( 21mile ) XC ride and last weekend I put flat pedals on it and did some light DH / technical riding on it. Its a compromise over specific bikes for these purposes , but handled both situations without feeling like it was too heavy(XC) or fragile (DH). I will be using it in a 12 hr enduro in a few weeks time , really looking forward to smashing last years lap times !

The best thing about the Reign , is letting a little bit of air out of the shock for the descent back home. You can really go for it over rough trails without beating yourself or the bike up. The rear end is so active !

I don't mind pedalling up , but I LOVE going down ! :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
So miles have you I ever test riden the trance1 ?
I'm asking myself which I should choose. I mostly do crosscountry on rooty trails with a few steps but no serious jumps or so. What would you recommend?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts