Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
older forks(front shocks). I am trying to build an older hardtail, I have a 1996 Giant ATX 890 frame, this has been a project of mine for a long, long time. I have an unused 1998/99 crown/ steerer from Rock Shox that I was going to use to build a light front shock with air cartridges. Well, obviously times have changed and was wondering if it is still possible to build a shock out of this that is cheaper than just buying another front shock from the closeouts or classifieds. I also have a 1998 or 1999 Judy SL that is still functioning but not being used. Can I use the Judy parts with air cartridges(do they even make these available anymore?)and the unused crown/ steerer to make a front shock?

I am very inexperienced with the inside of shocks so I apologize if I sound stupid. This bike I am trying to build is going to be a back up to my heckler, I do not want to put a lot of money into this. Thanks in advance for any advice.

The things you start thinking about when you can't ride because it is raining again..... Oh, how the mind wanders.... :rolleyes:

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
I think the Englund air internals are still being sold under the Eko Sport name. If the cost is over $100 a set, you might think of looking for an 80mm travel closeout Marz. MX comp for a little more.

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dogonfr said:
Why not just put the Judy on? Need a rainy month project? Dont know if this is what your looking for but try this place out.
http://www.bikeparts.com/page_results.asp?page=3
The Judy needed its annual "tune up" when my LBS gave me a great deal on a Talas so I never had the work done on the Judy. I do not know what kind of condition the internals are in. But you are right, I could just put on the Judy to see how it rides. Thanks for that link.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
scheckler said:
The Judy needed its annual "tune up" when my LBS gave me a great deal on a Talas so I never had the work done on the Judy. I do not know what kind of condition the internals are in. But you are right, I could just put on the Judy to see how it rides. Thanks for that link.
Beffor you put it on remove the caps, dump out the old oil & replace with fresh oil. You can do this yourself, buy the fork oil at a motorcycle shop same stuff. I use Maxima synthetic, you can use that or what ever they have. Be shure to get the proper weight oil & if you talk to a bike shop they will tell not to get oil with seal-swell, dont wory its not on the shelf any more, the stuff is discontinued.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts