Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Maaaaan
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Feb 7, Monday, I started out on a beautiful afternoon, to go for a ride at my local spot of Bootleg Canyon.
What I found, instead of peace and beauty, was a bunch of production trucks, utility vehicles like Rhino's and reality T.V. crap-heads all over our hillsides.
They were having a merry time driving along our single-track as well. :madmax:
The damage to the desert is deep and permanent.
This act was not only illegal, but immoral.
VH-1 and it's employees have no excuse whatsoever for what happened.
Many of those deep ruts will turn into severe gouges in the terrain, the first time we have one of our "gully washer" thunderstorms.
I found out today that I wasn't the only one that was screaming at them to stop. They simply ignored everyone, until the Boulder City Park district was notified and immediate action was taken.
The VH-1 production companies attitude was wholly criminal. Not ignorant, but criminal.
In some cases they drove within 10ft of signs saying to stay on established dirt roads and trails. And, that no off-road vehicles are permitted. :madmax:

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,966 Posts
The desert is a easy place to wreck. The scars out here can and very often are permanent. To this day the tank tracks from Patton's WWII training are still visable. That has been more than 70 years since the tanks rolled.
Since there is very little precipitaion, it is hard to have trail repairs where soil is disturbed not continue to degrade.

·
Maaaaan
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't heard anything about fines etc. I hope something is in the works.
They damaged the area around the Lake View Loops JDay.
The poster that is underplaying the damage, truly doesn't understand the problems of a dry environment.
The desert is not a green grassy hill, that will grow back in a year or two. Due to a lack of precipitation, it takes decades for things to blend and heal. For plants to grow back.
That's is assuming, that the "crust" at Bootleg was not too severely damaged. If it was damaged in places, then the next heavy rains during our Monsoon season, will start washing the loose terrain underneath away, very quickly. As in one storm can start significant damage kind of quickly.
It's hard to explain to some people, that while the rocky terrain around here will break bones in a heartbeat, it is also mind numbingly fragile and crumbly.

·
Maaaaan
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ImaFred said:
Effin bulllllshite ... What where they filming for in bootleg??? Brett Michaels riding MTBs now? Bike of Love
I don't know exactly. One of the buses said something about "Cash" on it.
I think it might be one of their "reality" based shows.

·
519 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about this.

I am a huge fan of Death Valley and understand how fragile the desert is and know first hand how destructive rain can be. I got caught in a flash flood out in Amargosa once and the only way we got out was because I was lucky enough to have been in a four wheel drive truck. When we revisited the site a few days later, it was amazing how much destruction had been done in a matter of minutes.

Please keep us posted and let us know if you need our voices.

·
Stucco Bucket
1,909 Posts
Ericmopar said:
The poster that is underplaying the damage, truly doesn't understand the problems of a dry environment.
The desert is not a green grassy hill, that will grow back in a year or two. Due to a lack of precipitation, it takes decades for things to blend and heal. For plants to grow back.
That's is assuming, that the "crust" at Bootleg was not too severely damaged. If it was damaged in places, then the next heavy rains during our Monsoon season, will start washing the loose terrain underneath away, very quickly. As in one storm can start significant damage kind of quickly.
It's hard to explain to some people, that while the rocky terrain around here will break bones in a heartbeat, it is also mind numbingly fragile and crumbly.
Pics? Anywhere a vehicle can even drive to tells me that the area isnt that endangered. I go to death valley twice a year, so I know the area.
"decades" isnt permanent, even if they did do some damage. Are you a geologist?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I saw the tire tracks from a vehicle that drove down a hill and over part of the middle/lower loop trail. A few days ago I did some trail maintenance I used loose rocks to block off a section that riders were riding that was not part of the trail. I even pointed the rocks up to prevent bikes riding over but it was all destroyed with the tire tracks that cut across the desert and right over the top of singletrack trails. bummer

·
Registered
555 Posts
That is a shame

Ericmopar said:
Although I am an East coast flatlander, I have ridden BC six times and appreciate the stark beauty of the place. Hearing this is like they pi**ed on my grave. Jim

Attachments

·
BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
589 Posts
I hate them for other reasons, but I feel your pain.... Remember when VH1 and MTV played music videos? Now it's just adult-themed reality shows aimed at pre-teens. Remember behind the music? I remember the Janis Jopplin one that was narrated my Chirs Christopherson.. or the Stevie Ray Vaughn one narrated by Stephen Tyler. I don't think Gen-Y has much taste in TV, Movies or Music. Black Eyed Peas w/ Auto Tune is about the best they have to offer, I guess. I mean Bon Jovi was the highest grossing band last year. Haven't seen a decent band in a long time, VH1 doesn't play videos anymore.... I'll give you all 'Kings of Leon' but that's about it. Saw them play on last years Victoria Secret model search (this year was Katy Perry) +Rap stinks & Emimem is a kook who looks to Elton John as a mentor.... LOL.

Dude... I grew up in the 80s, don't know how some of these shows get any audience. I remember what good Tv, Music and Movies looked like.

But, you never know, sometime there's a throwback prodigy like 15yo Desiree Bassett----> Wonder where her influences came from? -- Not VH1

·
not really an mtbr member
641 Posts
Pimpride said:
I hate them for other reasons, but I feel your pain.... Remember when VH1 and MTV played music videos? Now it's just adult-themed reality shows aimed at pre-teens. Remember behind the music? I remember the Janis Jopplin one that was narrated my Chirs Christopherson.. or the Stevie Ray Vaughn one narrated by Stephen Tyler. I don't think Gen-Y has much taste in TV, Movies or Music. Black Eyed Peas w/ Auto Tune is about the best they have to offer, I guess. I mean Bon Jovi was the highest grossing band last year. Haven't seen a decent band in a long time, VH1 doesn't play videos anymore.... I'll give you all 'Kings of Leon' but that's about it. Saw them play on last years Victoria Secret model search (this year was Katy Perry) +Rap stinks & Emimem is a kook who looks to Elton John as a mentor.... LOL.

Dude... I grew up in the 80s, don't know how some of these shows get any audience. I remember what good Tv, Music and Movies looked like.

But, you never know, sometime there's a throwback prodigy like 15yo Desiree Bassett----> Wonder where her influences came from? -- Not VH1

Please don't talk bad about my entire generation. We're not all bad. I still like good music!

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
theextremist04 said:
Please don't talk bad about my entire generation. We're not all bad. I still like good music!
Seriously. Didn't we just have this same argument last week? There's still tons of really good music, it's just not always popular and/or advertised. The good stuff wasn't necessarily the popular stuff in the "good ole" 80's either. Pimpride, are you glossing over how hugely popular so many crappy glam rock and synth pop artists were? If that's what we used to judge your generation we would think you have no taste either.

As for rap, it's just like other genres what's popular and advertised is more likely to made for that purpose. Understandable if it's just not your style, but there are a ton of really good hip-hop artists once you stray outside of what's on the radio, and those guys make me like rap.

·
589 Posts
Yeah, I guess you all are right, not fair to pin it on Gen-Y, they are just the result of the Baby Boomers loosing sight if what was cool in the first place. After all it's the boomers that have been the 'gatekeepers' for the past decade and everyone knows how much they've sold out their 60s ideals for material things. VH1's programming is still junk made by boomers for Gen-Y. Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry was pulled from the air because it was too violent. Now we get the dead body of the day on CSI or a glimpse into a serial killers mind in "criminal minds".... Sorry but the state of entertainment and mass media is garbage. I love most of what was produced when I grew up... Glam sucked, in any era, but some of the bands with Glam Style have songs that still hold up today. And some underground Hip Hop is good in a beat poetry sense, but Glamorizing 50cent hasn't helped. Give me another good Gen-Y rock band (besides kings of Leon)? There are still some bright spots like Desiree, but it's mostly crybaby junk. U2 is still the biggest band in the world.... Boomers running the record companies mainstreaming 50cent and ****ting up Brittany Spears Concerts for Children are probably the bigger issue. Do you all remember Bob Dillon? What Happened?

Good Hip Hop

Cool Glam Song
But there was a reason I wasn't into the Cult as a kid.... wonder what it was.... good Rock Band though....

·
DeForest Stump
975 Posts
Ericmopar said:
The VH-1 production companies attitude was wholly criminal. Not ignorant, but criminal.
In some cases they drove within 10ft of signs saying to stay on established dirt roads and trails. And, that no off-road vehicles are permitted. :madmax:
It's a shame those boys couldn't be more copasetic.

·
589 Posts
Hmmm.

Cobretti said:
It's a shame those boys couldn't be more copasetic.
For us mountian bikers out here --->

copasetic --->
- adj
slang ( US ), ( Canadian ) very good; excellent; completely satisfactory

.... you should have voiced your opinion to the crew and see how they'd react, probably not as copasetic as you might like.

·
Life is Good
1,492 Posts
the_owl said:
Pics? Anywhere a vehicle can even drive to tells me that the area isnt that endangered. I go to death valley twice a year, so I know the area.
"decades" isnt permanent, even if they did do some damage. Are you a geologist?
Ever hear of cryptobiotic soil? The damage done isn't entirely geologic.

http://www.soilcrust.org/crust101.htm

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.